Microwave or Grill?

Catdickens

Specking out our van conversion but can’t decide if a microwave or grill will be of most use. It’ll mostly be myself and my husband and the dogs using the van. Hoping to do more wild stays than site stays. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

i mainly use the microwave powered by inverter and leisure batteries which in turn are charged by solar....its all down to your use though, i mainly use mine for odd days and weekends and the solar keeps it all topped up sufficiently for me warming up the odd meal but if you was using it for longer trips it might not be possible. I do have a gas hob for boiling the kettle also, but again hardly use it.

i mainly use the microwave powered by inverter and leisure batteries which in turn are charged by solar....its all down to your use though, i mainly use mine for odd days and weekends and the solar keeps it all topped up sufficiently for me warming up the odd meal but if you was using it for longer trips it might not be possible. I do have a gas hob for boiling the kettle also, but again hardly use it.
Hi, i have just joined this forum to find out more about VW conversions, i have been looking at 6.1 transporter conversions for two weeks and its a minefield!! i have now got my eye on one and plaining to buy one at the weekend, the owner has just told me that the microwave cant be used unless plugged into the electric (understandable) but for me i will be on the move a lot so would like to you use the microvalve anytime/anywhere, yours sound like it does this? how did you do it? Thank you

Hi, i have just joined this forum to find out more about VW conversions, i have been looking at 6.1 transporter conversions for two weeks and its a minefield!! i have now got my eye on one and plaining to buy one at the weekend, the owner has just told me that the microwave cant be used unless plugged into the electric (understandable) but for me i will be on the move a lot so would like to you use the microvalve anytime/anywhere, yours sound like it does this? how did you do it? Thank you
Stick @sparkzer in the message and they’ll get an alert.

thanks @DXX , missed this one... @xMARSHALLx i simply have a reasonably sized inverter (2.5kw) and a low wattage microwave (6-700w if i recall correctly?). however it still puts a fair load on the leisure battery, so wouldn't be suitable for prolonged/regular use. At most i would only use it for 5 mins in a day, giving plenty of time for the solar to charge back up again. My van gets sporadic use however so sometimes weeks/months without use so the battery is always topped up. If you plan on more frequent use, you would have to think about either a much larger leisure battery and better means to charge it, probably a good DC-DC converter off the main battery.

We mostly use the Cadac outside for cookery, but do have an induction hob inside. We use a toaster and a coffee machine too regularly. 200Ah Roamer battery 2000watt pure sine wave inverter and 180 watt solar panel. Only issue we have ever had was when the solar panel packed up. A microwave would be useful but never really felt the need, space is indeed at a premium!

thanks @DXX , missed this one... @xMARSHALLx i simply have a reasonably sized inverter (2.5kw) and a low wattage microwave (6-700w if i recall correctly?). however it still puts a fair load on the leisure battery, so wouldn't be suitable for prolonged/regular use. At most i would only use it for 5 mins in a day, giving plenty of time for the solar to charge back up again. My van gets sporadic use however so sometimes weeks/months without use so the battery is always topped up. If you plan on more frequent use, you would have to think about either a much larger leisure battery and better means to charge it, probably a good DC-DC converter off the main battery.
thanks @DXX for passing my message on, and thank you @sparkzer for you quick reply.
I only want the microwave for my morning breakfast, i.e. bowl of milk for my porridge etc and that wont be every day, i just want it there if i need it. so what you have done will be fine by the sounds of, does the fridge stay on? I'm guessing it does.

I am new to all of this, its my first camper, is there anything in particular that i should be looking out for? the camper looks fine, drives fine, the current owners haven't used it for a camping trip, microwave, hob, taps, bed never been used, it rattles a little bit but for what i am told that the norm.

i have done the normal checks online, it all seems ok, i have the engine number, would you know where the engine number is located on the engine?

apologies for all the questions.

Thank you
Kind regards,
Marshall

@xMARSHALLx Use a gas hob for the milk/porridge, saves lugging round an underused space taker (microwave)! We have a Jetboil too that could cope with porridge very quickly!

thanks @DXX for passing my message on, and thank you @sparkzer for you quick reply.
I only want the microwave for my morning breakfast, i.e. bowl of milk for my porridge etc and that wont be every day, i just want it there if i need it. so what you have done will be fine by the sounds of, does the fridge stay on? I'm guessing it does.

I am new to all of this, its my first camper, is there anything in particular that i should be looking out for? the camper looks fine, drives fine, the current owners haven't used it for a camping trip, microwave, hob, taps, bed never been used, it rattles a little bit but for what i am told that the norm.

i have done the normal checks online, it all seems ok, i have the engine number, would you know where the engine number is located on the engine?

apologies for all the questions.

Thank you
Kind regards,
Marshall
If you go down the lithium battery / inverter route it will be most expensive porridge you ever ate.
If that’s all you want I’d spend a few quid on a Jet Boil.

The lithium is essential in our van/with my wife, hair straighteners are a necessity she can't do without!

I used to have the high maintenance model, reviewed my stress levels and eventually parted company. Have since have found happiness with a similar mind.
Ah Mate, she's a goodun, earns more than me, keeper this one! Wife number one on the other hand had this thing for sleeping with other blokes, now call me old fashioned but.... hair straighteners I can live with!

Back