Campervan: microwave / oven / grill?

I am in the process of nailing down the interior design of my new campervan build...

Having visited one or two conversion companies now, I have some conflicting views of whether or not an oven earns its space in the van.

So I would like to hear off members who have the oven fitted and use it....

How useful is it…. Is it ridiculously slow in cooking anything and does it hammer the gas bottle..?

Views and first hand experience appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Worth a search of the forum as I did to gain the knowledge rather that create another thread for others to have to trawl through. You can then add questions to existing info.
I decided on a no and it was the right decision for me.

Yes Wills, I have been searching this forum for weeks... great source of information on many aspects of the build.... however there is no mention of any type of comparison made between cooking times of the SMEV or equivalent campervan oven versus say a conventional fan assisted oven... I'm not expecting it to be in the same league but would like to know how the cooking times compare and if the oven earns its space....

All other threads seem to say...either "I wouldn't be without my oven" or "we don't use it"..... could do with a bit more info... hence this thread ;o)

I am in the process of nailing down the interior design of my new campervan build...

Having visited one or two conversion companies now, I have some conflicting views of whether or not an oven earns its space in the van.

So I would like to hear off members who have the oven fitted and use it....

How useful is it…. Is it ridiculously slow in cooking anything and does it hammer the gas bottle..?

Views and first hand experience appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

I decided against an oven as I wanted gas free and wasn’t planning on spending much time on a hook up.
I have a Wallas XC Duo and it’s possible to create a basic oven by using a large thick based steel pot with a lid and a trivet in the bottom to prevent burning. Use minimum heat.

My no decision was based on a few simple experiences I read up on:
“I have one fitted but never use it apart from storing stuff in” an expensive storage cupboard.
Space is a premium so don’t waste it.
Don’t want smelly cooking food in my van.
Barbecue outside is more effective / flexible .

We don’t have one and never wanted one. Space is at such a premium that absolutely everything in there has to earn its place, I just can’t see the odd use of an oven doing that. What would you even cook in there, it’s not like you’re going to whip up a Sunday roast?

I was in two minds but I'm kind of glad i chose not to have one. The amount of stuff I can cram into the cupboard where the oven would live is huge. Pots/pans/plates/food etc. I'd have had to have found another cupboard for them but all other cupboards are taken. Like others have said, 'space is premium'.

If you still fancy the oven option perhaps a microwave would be more versatile.

We don’t have one and never wanted one. Space is at such a premium that absolutely everything in there has to earn its place, I just can’t see the odd use of an oven doing that. What would you even cook in there, it’s not like you’re going to whip up a Sunday roast?

Was thinking of using it for Naan breads for curries, maybe the odd Pizza... small oven meals etc... but if it's ineffective then it won't earn its place there...!

Was thinking of using it for Naan breads for curries, maybe the odd Pizza... small oven meals etc... but if it's ineffective then it won't earn its place there...!

I guess if you’re going to eat a lot of readymeals it might be worthwhile - no real alternative for cooking those in a van.

We had an oven in a caravan and found it a waste of space. When we decided to go gassless it was removed and the space converted into a large cupboard. It was not missed We never considered one for the camper.

If i was aware of these little travel ovens when i designed my camper, i would have fitted one

Quite popular here in Aus for 4WD touring.

They don't use that many amps, slow cooking lamb shanks while on the road would be nice option.

Travel Buddy - Portable Reheating Oven

Not sure if I've seen the 12v ovens like this in the uk bryn.

It says it works off the cigarette lighter so I guess you could use one as an add on for your lamb shanks.... If it reaches 170'C as claimed then it'll work well.

We have an oven. Wouldn’t be without it.

So it just shows again that it’s what’s important to you that counts.

Another option - If you are thinking of cooking only when on hookup then you can get a similar standard of (mains powered) oven for around £30 from Go Outdoors. I have one which I can store in the cupboard under the worktop if I think I'm going to use it. You then have the option of using it in your awning on an extension lead so the cooking smells stay out of the van.

Back