Microwave or Grill?

I didn't even think of that, thinking about it properly, i probably wouldn't need it all that much anyway.... i will look at these jetboils - there are so many accessories to ponder about....
That really is the problem with this forum, so so so many things you'll see on here that you didn't realise you needed!

Reactions: CAB
Rather optimistically we bought a 700 watt small microwave to power from our Renogy 1000 watt inverter, my thinking was to take the gas grille out and put the microwave in the same spot.
I had to shout to the wife to turn the thing off (I run a lead from the camper to the microwave in the house :whistle: ) as within 2 seconds the microwave was drawing 97A according to the leisure battery shunt display and still climbing albeit more slowly.
Got a 2000 watt inverter now as I want to take the MIG welder on holiday but it's easy to get carried away building your own power station assuming you need all the crap you've got at home.

I have to ask, before others do, why would you take a MIG welder on holiday? I thought I was strange taking out a SDS drill with a 20mm/460mm masonry drill bit so I could plant our superstake at Busfest this year!

You should have seen the look of joy on your drills face when it realised it was at Busfest now imagine if it found itself in France?
In reality the microwave idea has been replaced by an induction hob thought. :geek:

You should have seen the look of joy on your drills face when it realised it was at Busfest now imagine if it found itself in France?
In reality the microwave idea has been replaced by an induction hob thought. :geek:
I love the way my induction hob draws close to 180 Amps when we boil the kettle with no issues. Yet my lesser powered coffee machine makes my inverter 'grumble' when pulling max 1400 watts. Why would that be? where is @roadtripper when you want him? Vive la France...

@Drive Wayne is the 1400 watts the specified power rating similar to the supposed 700 watts of our little microwave?
Delving further into the booklet of the microwave and there's a single mention of 1200 watt which is far more likely why the shunt display was showing 97 A and not the 60 odd at most I was expecting. :unsure:
Either way I've got the 2000 watt version now but getting carried away with these off grid aspirations can be a bit addictive!

I have a 3kw set like @Bav and I have a 700w microwave, 1800w induction hob, fohen boiling tap and an air fryer. Granted I can’t run them all at the same time on battery but I thought better to have and not need rather than need and not have

@Drive Wayne is the 1400 watts the specified power rating similar to the supposed 700 watts of our little microwave?
Delving further into the booklet of the microwave and there's a single mention of 1200 watt which is far more likely why the shunt display was showing 97 A and not the 60 odd at most I was expecting. :unsure:
Either way I've got the 2000 watt version now but getting carried away with these off grid aspirations can be a bit addictive!
1300 Watts is the official rating of the machine, but I've plugged it in via a wattage meter thing and it goes up as high as 1460 Watts but well under the supposed limit of the 2000watt inverter. All the other high wattage products don't have an issue! #ataloss

I have a 3kw set like @Bav and I have a 700w microwave, 1800w induction hob, fohen boiling tap and an air fryer. Granted I can’t run them all at the same time on battery but I thought better to have and not need rather than need and not have
Most envious of that hotty boily tap, want one want one...

The difference in power factor between inductive and resistive loads

I used to have the high maintenance model, reviewed my stress levels and eventually parted company. Have since have found happiness with a similar mind.
You can't ditch high maintenance teenage daughters though! (They don't want to go anywhere with dad anyway, but without hair straighteners, Wi-Fi and other creature comforts they'd be even more of a pain in the ass!)

Compared to resistive loads, inductive load current peaks after voltage. Consequently, inductive coils produce lagging power factors. Because they produce lagging power factors, inductive load elements are used whenever the power factor of a test load must be reduced.

None the wiser, this is why I sell pianos for a living... Or I'm just thick!

• Haha
Back