Taking The Oven and Gas Hob Out

Alan Ginger

Psychiatric Nurse (retired)
T6 Guru
i Have had my van conversion a couple of years now and it is great. My wife and I ( sometimes I am solo ) go away once a month all year round. We have a few sites that we now visit regularly. We never wild camp. We always have electric hook up.

I have taken my gas bottle around with me since I got the van, used the hob once, never used the oven and the gas bottle is still 90% full.

I took the gas bottle out and I am going to in the near future get the oven and hob taken out. We were thinking of putting a small microwave in the oven space.

The question I have is about heat insulation and ventilation: I am assuming that the oven was insulated and ventilated so that the heat when you used the oven would not damage the van, so therefore it would be safe to put a microwave in that space, to heat up the odd bit of pizza we tend to do pub lunches when we are away in the van as our trips are a weekend trips.
The conversation was professionally done by Campervan Warehouse. So I am assuming the conversion was done to a decent standard. We have had no major problems.

Are my assumptions right? Any thoughts or comments would be gratefully accepted.

Many Thanks Alan

Hi. If I was going to install an oven in my vans (never have) I would fit an airflow vent in the floor, like you should do with gas lockers or fridges (although a lot of people don’t). My guess is that your gas bottle isn’t in a locker at all… mine always are. If the van is to a good standard you should have some vents, which will help.

Due to the rear not normally being visible you can go to town on your ventilation. One option would be an ‘integrated’ microwave to allow ventilation room, but my guess is that you may struggle with size. So ref a standard microwave the following may be apt;

“A well-designed microwave will need 3” of clearance at the top and the sides, with at least 1” at the rear. In other words, if you are asking 'does a microwave need space around it? ' the answer is yes. It ensures the right level of airflow and protects the appliance”

Hi. If I was going to install an oven in my vans (never have) I would fit an airflow vent in the floor, like you should do with gas lockers or fridges (although a lot of people don’t). My guess is that your gas bottle isn’t in a locker at all… mine always are. If the van is to a good standard you should have some vents, which will help.

Due to the rear not normally being visible you can go to town on your ventilation. One option would be an ‘integrated’ microwave to allow ventilation room, but my guess is that you may struggle with size. So ref a standard microwave the following may be apt;

“A well-designed microwave will need 3” of clearance at the top and the sides, with at least 1” at the rear. In other words, if you are asking 'does a microwave need space around it? ' the answer is yes. It ensures the right level of airflow and protects the appliance”
Many thanks Snowdawg that is great. The gas bottle was in a locker with a vent to the outside so that is a good start. The clearance distances are helpful I don’t know if there is a vent for the oven. Cheers Alan

Back