Lithium battery and bodyshop ovens - Another silly question

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
As reported on here before, I've got a Renogy 100Ah Smart Battery installed in my van. It's got to go into a bodyshop for some work later this month for involving a new rear passenger side quarter panel being welded in and painted along with the new rear bumper. I've always heard that you should avoid exposing LifoPo4 batteries to high temperatures as they could be damaged or, in the worse case, catch fire. It occurs to me that the low bake oven used by the body shop to cure the paint might be an issue - I understand that they heat to around 65°C and am now beginning to ask myself whether I need to take the battery out of the van before it goes in for the work (I don't know how long they 'bake' the paint for though!). That said, another part of my little brain is telling me that if it was that bad for the van, other stuff like the cab plastic, carpet lining and upholstery would start melting qown as well and I'm just being alarmist. Any views from all you clever people on here would be much appreciated as usual.

Last edited:
I don't actually know the answer, but my thoughts are how do electric cars get repaired? They need to be sprayed at some point of their life so I'm Sure it will be fine.

As reported on here before, I've got a Renogy 100Ah Smart Battery installed in my van. It's got to go into a bodyshop for some work later this month for involving a new rear passenger side quarter panel being welded in and painted along with the new rear bumper. I've always heard that you should avoid exposing LifoPo4 batteries to high temperatures as they could be damaged or, in the worse case, catch fire. It occurs to me that the low bake oven used by the body shop to cure the paint might be an issue - I understand that they heat to around 65°C and am now beginning to ask myself whether I need to take the battery out of the van before it goes in for the work (I don't know how long they 'bake' the paint for though!). That said, another part of my little brain is telling me that if it was that bad for the van, other stuff like the cab plastic, carpet lining and upholstery would start melting qown as well and I'm just being alarmist. Any views from all you clever people on here would be much appreciated as usual.
The temperature in the van can hit 60-70 degrees in a Portuguese summer & we haven’t gone up in flames yet.

I don't think you need to worry about the heat, the bigger worry to me would be the high energy electricity from the welding.

If it was easy to isolate the battery during the work I might do that given the money sunk in that type of battery. Having said that lots of folks probably don't bother.

Thanks for all the responses - I think I'm a bit more relaxed about it now especially as the battery is by the wheel arch on the oposite side from where the work is being done. Told you it might be a silly question!

Back