Ultrasonics or microwave sensors on alarm system?

radfraz

VIP Member
Hi,
I've just had a cobra alarm fitted proffesionaly.
The plan was to use microwave sensors, as there's already OEM ultrasonic sensors on board my '20 plate 6.1.

When I returned to collect the vehicle the fitter told me he'd fitted ultrasonics. Sighting the fact that he couldn't see any evidence of existing ultrasonics on board and he preferred ultrasonics over microwave. Perticularly as the van has a pop top.

He'd tested out the system before reassembling the interior, successfully. However the problems began whe I asked him to run me through the system. Looks like there's a conflict between ultrasonics on both the OEM and cobra systems.

He's in favour of disabling the OEM side, which I know you can do via a button every time you arm the system. I'd rather go with microwave sensors on the aftermarket cobra system.

Can anyone offer any advice? @Dav-Tec ?

er thats all a bit cack handed. . . ?

+++++

what alarm was factory fit? - have you got the ultrasonic fitted in the top centre console on the roof? - post a few pics.

most modern Alarms are CAN bus now so they can pick up all the doors and sensors over the CAN bus system to save adding duplicate sensors.

the microwave will work fine with the OEM ultrasonic. . .

++++++

i have the Factory Alarm system, with battery backed up sounder and internal ultra sonics.

i then added the METASAT EASYCAN extra alarm, which pics up all the existing sensors. - on my T5.1, with the same setup the fitter didnt realise that the wan had ultrasonics so they conflicted with each other.

that was an easy fix to just unplug the META ultras.

the benefit of the EASYCAN is that it has an output that connects to the METASAT Tracker so i get APP notifications when the alarm is triggered.

also the EASYCAN has a feature where the alarm beeps on set/unset - and best of all give you a beep-beep-beep-beep id any door or window is left open (this has saved my bacon numerous time from dealing a door open)

also the EASYCAN has a separate LED blinker for deterrent.

++++++++

so post some pics of what you have.

received_417389840617747.jpeg
I nor the installer could see any sign of ultra sonics.

I also cannot find the 'interior alarm disable' button mentioned in the manual.

There is a red LED that blinks on the drivers door console, when the vehicle is locked... Even just locked manually with the key in the door.

Thanks for your help.

Normally the red is the phone MIC.

And the green is the untrasonics.

Screenshot_20240113_203145_Chrome~2.jpg

Take a pic looking into the grill area in the green.

Personally we wouldn't of fitted another alarm the factory one is more than adequate. We'd of suggested a MetaTrak S5 Deadlock or S5 Pro with our nifty OEM alarm input module.

If the van was broken into the alarm triggere and you get a notification on your MetaTrak app.

We've found out of all of the alarms and Trackers we've tried MetaTrak is the only systems we feel works best.

The reason the 2 systems are conflicting is one sensor it bouncing ultrasonic signals round the van and the other system is picking them up and thinking something/someone is moving inside the van, same principle a have a fly buzzing round the van setting the damn thing off.

I'm surprised the fitter didn't know where they were fitted or show due diligence and research it before continuing to install. A quick Google search of "VW T6.1 Alarm Sensor Location" bought up multiple results giving the answers.

Sorry about the last shot, bit dark out there last night.
Where should the interior alarm disable be?

received_2047791998929547.jpegreceived_3740371312914874.jpeg

On the driver's b pillar about 2/3 of the way down

Personally we wouldn't of fitted another alarm the factory one is more than adequate. We'd of suggested a MetaTrak S5 Deadlock or S5 Pro with our nifty OEM alarm input module.

If the van was broken into the alarm triggere and you get a notification on your MetaTrak app.

We've found out of all of the alarms and Trackers we've tried MetaTrak is the only systems we feel works best.

The reason the 2 systems are conflicting is one sensor it bouncing ultrasonic signals round the van and the other system is picking them up and thinking something/someone is moving inside the van, same principle a have a fly buzzing round the van setting the damn thing off.

I'm surprised the fitter didn't know where they were fitted or show due diligence and research it before continuing to install. A quick Google search of "VW T6.1 Alarm Sensor Location" bought up multiple results giving the answers.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Apparently the tracker/alarm he's fitted has io that can be rigged to hardwire into the vehicles systems to disable whatever.
To be fair to him, he openly admitted to not having tackled a 6.1 before, did establish there was ultrasonic sensors prior to installing. However, in a moment of genius on starting the job and not finding the existing sensors and preffering ultrasonics decided to go with them on the cobra.
He's held his hands up and I'm dropping the van off later today for the misrowave sensors to be installed.

More info...

Back