Cam & Aux Belt Tensioner Noise, Recorded.

Have the same on my 2017 150 DSG. Replaced the aux belt just after I got the van (2nd hand) and it cured it for a bit but squeal came back. Last service replaced aux belt pulley and belt again, all good for 8 months but noise is back again now (not too bad at the moment but definitely there). Looks like it's a feature of the van and I'll have to replace on each service (think it was only £70-80 fortunately). Might just get my mechanic to show me how to do it...

Have to give some feedback that I experienced whit my t6 2018, the car have 107000km on clock. And I had the same nois that was on the first video.
I did some sevice on the car yesterday, and decided that I change the alternator belt, when I took out the original belt, I saw that it was really dry and had really smal cracks on it, I didn't not change the tensioner.
And with this prosses the sound disappeared, I used Gates belt.
The prosses was not hard, but 2 persons helps it.

Thank you all for good forum site. (Sorry for bad English, I am from Finland)

So having read through this thread I’m still not sure.... is this something to worry about and should I get it sorted ASAP, or is it just a common fault on these vans??
I noticed my van making this noise last winter, but it went away with the drier weather.... only for it to come back this autumn/winter! I’ve recently sprayed some WD40/silicone spray on the belt and the sound goes away, but always comes back?
What would you guys recommend please?

Booked on to my my tensioner and belt done at midland VW as greenhous vw said both needed doing. Turns out only a belt was required. Squealing noise now gone.

So having read through this thread I’m still not sure.... is this something to worry about and should I get it sorted ASAP, or is it just a common fault on these vans??
I noticed my van making this noise last winter, but it went away with the drier weather.... only for it to come back this autumn/winter! I’ve recently sprayed some WD40/silicone spray on the belt and the sound goes away, but always comes back?
What would you guys recommend please?
Don’t spray WD40 on the belt, it degrades rubber. There are specific belt dressing sprays on the market for this purpose but they are only masking the cause.
A noisy belt is caused by slippage or rubbing which can only get worse, adding a lubricant just allows it to slip without making a noise.
A noisy tensioner bearing is failing, all bearings have a finite life, if you wait until it fails you deal with the consequences, it’s more expensive.
It’s unbelievable that a major auto manufacturer can get this right, it’s pretty basic.

Don’t spray WD40 on the belt, it degrades rubber. There are specific belt dressing sprays on the market for this purpose but they are only masking the cause.
A noisy belt is caused by slippage or rubbing which can only get worse, adding a lubricant just allows it to slip without making a noise.
A noisy tensioner bearing is failing, all bearings have a finite life, if you wait until it fails you deal with the consequences, it’s more expensive.
It’s unbelievable that a major auto manufacturer can get this right, it’s pretty basic.
Maybe the WD40 wasn’t such a good idea then!:uh run:

My van is four years old in June this year, so I’ll get the cam belt, aux belt, water pump and all associated pulleys and tensioners replaced then.... hopefully that’ll sort it!:thumbsup:

He did say WD40 silicone, they make lots of different lubricants.
If the noise goes away with a bit of spray, it's not the bearing, just the belt edge rubbing on the edge of one of the pulleys.
A wax candle rubbed on the edge of the belt normally silences the belt noise.

If the noise goes away with a bit of spray, it's not the bearing, just the belt edge rubbing on the edge of one of the pulleys.
I’ll try the candle wax trick tomorrow! Thanks @Loz :thumbsup:

I’ll try the candle wax trick tomorrow! Thanks @Loz :thumbsup:
I recommend to change the belt, it is not do hard, I did it with help of my wife. The belt cost around 20-30e here.
Lift up right side, remove under cover, put girlfriend or wife to lose the tensioner from upside, take off belt from under, let helper rest a bit, then reinstall all with new belt.

I recommend to change the belt, it is not do hard, I did it with help of my wife. The belt cost around 20-30e here.
Lift up right side, remove under cover, put girlfriend or wife to lose the tensioner from upside, take off belt from under, let helper rest a bit, then reinstall all with new belt.
Lucky you! My wife would never help me with any work on my precious vehicle.

I read that as both; WD40/Silicone, hopefully it was just silicone.

If any of you gets concerning noise from either aux or cam belt it is indication that some urgent repair(part replacement) should be done
and not that lubrication is due ;).

I’ll be honest after reading through this thread again and paying more attention this time, I’m a bit concerned about what I’ve obviously been ignoring (the squeaking), so first thing tomorrow morning I’m going to speak to my garage and arrange to get the auxiliary belt and the tensioner replaced.

I’ll be honest after reading through this thread again and paying more attention this time, I’m a bit concerned about what I’ve obviously been ignoring (the squeaking), so first thing tomorrow morning I’m going to speak to my garage and arrange to get the auxiliary belt and the tensioner replaced.
Booked in for tomorrow! :thumbsup:
I recorded the sound on cold start up this morning, but I can’t manage to upload it to here!? Just thought it might be useful for somebody else (future reference).

Last edited:
Reactions: T12
I'm experiencing a similar issue. It's really annoying! I'm in York, can anyone recommend a garage in these parts? It's a 66 plate with 48k miles (T6, T32, LWB).

8906F008-1C63-4292-AD5C-2449ED052AF7.jpeg
Old belt and tensioner replaced this morning.... sounds much better now, but the acid test will be the next cold start!?
Genuine VW tensioner used and Gates belt (as above) I’ve kept the old one for a spare. Please excuse the phallic looking picture! :whistle: :laugh:

Back