Cam & Aux Belt Tensioner Noise, Recorded.

Main dealer it is then :( !!

Don't you need to be trade to buy from TPS?

1609870928075.png

I’ve used two different TPS counters one that use and deliver to my work but I’ve just walked in to another and bought bits and never been asked

Here a video of my T6 cold start in -4°, the car have been standing about 26 hours, it's been -2 - -4 all day.
Have done the belt, and change oils and all of the filters + dsg service.
No more belt sound.
Video YouTube -> T6 euro 6 cold start -4°

Here a video of my T6 cold start in -4°, the car have been standing about 26 hours, it's been -2 - -4 all day.
Have done the belt, and change oils and all of the filters + dsg service.
No more belt sound.
Video YouTube -> T6 euro 6 cold start -4°
Was this after the belt change? as there is a distinctive "clicking" sound that could be the tensioner bearing?

I’ve had chirping under the bonnet for approx 6 months (Varying on and off). Tried silicon spray on the belt & that silenced it straight away... only to return 10mins later. So off to the garage it went. After a new tensioner and belt all is quiet again (hooray!). I’m £200 lighter but its nice to have a quiet van again. Its only done 22k miles, I would have expected longer. Its a camper conversion so hardly moved last year thanks to covid. I wonder if lack of use had dried the belt?!

I’ve had chirping under the bonnet for approx 6 months (Varying on and off). Tried silicon spray on the belt & that silenced it straight away... only to return 10mins later. So off to the garage it went. After a new tensioner and belt all is quiet again (hooray!). I’m £200 lighter but its nice to have a quiet van again. Its only done 22k miles, I would have expected longer. Its a camper conversion so hardly moved last year thanks to covid. I wonder if lack of use had dried the belt?!
22K miles but how many years old?

Its just turned 3 years (Nov 2017)
Well I wouldn’t expect it to deteriorate that much over 3 years, anyway it’s fixed now. Rubber deteriorates from the day it’s manufactured regardless of use.
It’s not a good idea to leave any machine idle for long periods, ball & roller bearings prematurely fail if left in the same position, even cranking it over on the starter is better than nothing.
The best option is to use it.

Got my belt and tensioner today so another job for the weekend as the noise is getting on nerves !!!

04D033BB-A4C9-4800-BB65-B6D20E4FB65F.jpeg

Got my belt and tensioner today so another job for the weekend as the noise is getting on nerves !!!

View attachment 99604
I see that one is revision H, a year ago it was revision G (see photo earlier in this thread). I’d love to know what VW are fine tuning. Presumably it started as Rev A so it’s taking some work to get it correct!

Changed mine in the cold today and tbh the belt looked ok but the tensioner wheel sounded a little dry......it was the B version so may not have been changed in the past. Just wait until the morning now too see if it’s fixed the noise.

C0D81691-8E82-4340-ABD8-626F53596EAC.jpegBF3A92F4-9DE1-4FEF-BB6F-4D56FD7450EB.jpeg9513C73F-284C-49ED-AF5A-2DB6D2D750D1.jpeg

Changed mine in the cold today and tbh the belt looked ok but the tensioner wheel sounded a little dry......it was the B version so may not have been changed in the past. Just wait until the morning now too see if it’s fixed the noise.

View attachment 99827View attachment 99828View attachment 99829
Hope it does the job. Let us know how it goes.

How easy a job is it? I'm pretty handy with the van but no mechanic by any means so just working out if its a garage job or a DIY jobbie.

I've not been anywhere today due to the snow but it did sound quieter when i used the van last night.

I changed mine on the drive......wheel off and you can access it all easy enough. I used a strong zip tie to hold the ratchet to the engine mount to take up the tension then the belt will slip on and off easy. The toughest part is refitting the tensioner, not because it is hard but more awkward to get the bolt in .....once you get the bolt started, turn the tensioner to locate the locking pin and tighten.

I'm no mechanic but it should only take you an hour tops.

Back