Cam & Aux Belt Tensioner Noise, Recorded.

My 2016 Euro 5 has only had the odd cold start squeal since replacing the belts and pulleys. I'll have to dig a bit deeper and take a look at the belt inner edge rubbing. Hopefully as it's all new it won't be hanging off the side!

upload_2020-1-31_11-24-27.jpeg

Have VW modified the tensioner to improve reliability, looks like the PN suffix has been changed from B to G?
I had warranty issues with my van (not belt tensioner) and I’m gobsmacked that they just replace the failed part with the exactly the same revision, only for it to fail again.

View attachment 59560

Have VW modified the tensioner to improve reliability, looks like the PN suffix has been changed from B to G?
I had warranty issues with my van (not belt tensioner) and I’m gobsmacked that they just replace the failed part with the exactly the same revision, only for it to fail again.

I was just looking at that. I wasn't sure if the two ears with the alignment holes had gone and then noticed there's a rod aligning them for ease of fitment on the rev G version.

I was just looking at that. I wasn't sure if the two ears with the alignment holes had gone and then noticed there's a rod aligning them for ease of fitment on the rev G version.

Yes I see that, however that isn’t going to affect the bearing or spring reliability. Did you have a look at the old one to see how it failed?

A quick update to this thread.
Apparently it wasn't the cambelt tensioner as they initially diagnosed. It was the auxiliary belt tensioner, which they replaced today, along with the belt and carried out a DSG service. I won't really know until tomorrow when I start it in the cold, if this has been cured.

Apparently it wasn't the cambelt tensioner as they initially diagnosed. It was the auxiliary belt tensioner, which they replaced today, along with the belt and carried out a DSG service. I won't really know until tomorrow when I start it in the cold, if this has been cured.
At least the problem is identified now:thumbsup:
Do you know the revision of your old and new tensioner?

Reactions: mmi
At least the problem is identified now:thumbsup:
Do you know the revision of your old and new tensioner?

They didn't say and I forgot to ask because I was too busy waffling on to another Transporter chap. You know what it's like when us Transporter guys get like when sat together in a waiting area. We put the whole world to rights.

It does look like the same problem you had though.

How did your morning cold start sounded like?

How did your morning cold start sounded like?

Perfect. The pulley tensioner has cured the noise.
I'm actually amazed quite how much quieter the engine sounds on tick over, specially at 5am. I can only guess it's been progressively getting worse over time, and I just haven't noticed how bad it was.

Perfect. The pulley tensioner has cured the noise.
I'm actually amazed quite how much quieter the engine sounds on tick over, specially at 5am. I can only guess it's been progressively getting worse over time, and I just haven't noticed how bad it was.
Exactly, same with mine!
I am so happy for you;)

Exactly, same with mine!
I am so happy for you;)

Thanks mate. I would of preferred a free Cambelt fitting, but such is life.
I will add that my DSG feels a lot slicker after it's service. The DSG is super slick anyway, but it just feels noticeably smoother and less jerky when it's changing down. All in all, i'm chuffed with everything from Parkway Leicester yesterday.

Got mine (102) booked in for next Thursday for the same squeaky issue. Seems quite common.

Before I had my Cambelt change I had that same noise for 2 years and was told by my not so helpful van centre that is was just a characteristic of the engine :(, total waste of breath.
mine is sounding the same and getting worse when I turn the A/C on. Took it to vw and told them something is wrong with the A/C as its doing this noise (thats what I thought it was) and they checked the A/C and told me nothings wrong with it.. ok nothing wrong with the A/C but u not curious why is making that noise ? so until this day, van out of warranty and noise still there. Will get the Cambelt changed soon so hopefully that sorts it out. Question is , the cam belt service which is priced at 570 vat included + water pump. does this include the tensioner as well ?

mine is sounding the same and getting worse when I turn the A/C on. Took it to vw and told them something is wrong with the A/C as its doing this noise (thats what I thought it was) and they checked the A/C and told me nothings wrong with it.. ok nothing wrong with the A/C but u not curious why is making that noise ? so until this day, van out of warranty and noise still there. Will get the Cambelt changed soon so hopefully that sorts it out. Question is , the cam belt service which is priced at 570 vat included + water pump. does this include the tensioner as well ?
I believe so but mine wasn’t done at VW

Just realised that I forgot to mention about alternator belt serpentine.
I know it sounds unbelievable, but it is possible to mount the belt incorrectly.
In such a incorrect configuration power steering pulley is not "wrapped" properly and could cause slipping.
Correct belt serpentine, for almost all 2.0 TDI engines is below.

90527834_1057676657951904_7111364148704837632_n.png

Last edited:
The above is from ETKA and I just looked at VW workshop manual(see below) and I am a little bit confusedo_O

Zrzut ekranu z 2020-03-29 15-53-08.png

Perhaps the ETKA is for EU5 engines (CAAA CAAB CAAC CFCA):
upload_2020-3-29_19-7-15.png
upload_2020-3-29_19-4-2.png

Last edited:
I had almost exactly the same symptoms, noise-wise and temperature related.
But after performing some checks I have discovered the shift of alternator tensioner pulley in relation to the belt itself(obviously disregard visible wrench socket)
View attachment 59449
As with increasing temperature the noise was disappearing I kept on ignoring the symptoms until I got to this stage:confused:
View attachment 59447

View attachment 59448

Once I replaced my alternator belt and its tensioner the noise went away:thumbsup:
View attachment 59450
View attachment 59451
€90=£76 well spent and invested:)

Lesson for further reference, any concerning symptoms should always be diagnosed asap and never ignored.

Continuing on my learned lesson, in order to get rid of this squeak(happening at nearly 0 °C only),
I also had to replace my power steering pulley 04L145255A (€17.32 = £15.19 nett) :rolleyes:

20200408_124128.jpg20200408_124141.jpg

I had a chirping belt on a Transit a few years ago when the air was humid and cold - replaced tensioners, bearings, pulleys etc with little improvement. It was a Goodyear Gatorback belt that actually silenced it.

Back