Battery shelf mode

middle-englander

T6 Guru
Hi all,

My Renogy battery has just turned up and I understand it is in shelf mode for storage, and as such I cannot connect to it via Bluetooth to see SOC etc.

Is there a quick and dirty way for me to pass draw / supply 1A to wake it up?
I'm just collecting parts at the moment so I'm not in a position to be able to connect it to the DC charger. Thanks.

yep, connect anything up to it. that will draw more than 1A

12v tyre pump?
12v light?

ETC ETC

or connect your charger up to it, to charge more than 1A - assuming the charger has a "wake up" feature - ie it puts out power. . .

assuming its a non smart mode.

1706348874290.png

the smart version has a separate plug in switch to wake it up. . .

1706348825259.png

I would expect the SoC to be in the 40% region as that's the conditions for long term storage and shipping of lithium chemistry.

Thanks, I'm lacking on 12v accessories at the moment but do have a tyre pump.

I'm checking with a multimeter which I believe I should set to 20v but there's nothing. The next setting down that says 2000m reads 1 when connected.

I also need to get some terminals since it didn't come with any. I understand I could potentially use a standard m8 bolt then off to a bus bar.

1000007878.jpg
1000007879.jpg

Thanks, I'm lacking on 12v accessories at the moment but do have a tyre pump.

I'm checking with a multimeter which I believe I should set to 20v but there's nothing. The next setting down that says 2000m reads 1 when connected.

I also need to get some terminals since it didn't come with any. I understand I could potentially use a standard m8 bolt then off to a bus bar.

View attachment 227107
View attachment 227108
Gotcha.

No switch on that battery.

So connect a charger or 12v load to wake it up....

Most likely the charger will be needed......

Any charger with a lifepo4 profile.... Ie 14.2v charge.

But even a quick 5mins with a regular charger should wake it.

It's refurbished directly from Renogy so not a huge surprise. That said, the manual says they're included so I've sent them an email.

the bolts are included from new. . .

id email them back and ask for a set. - not much good without them.

i don't think they are standard M8.

were they weren't on the SMART version. . . i had to get these.

its also mentioned in the install guide. . .

+++

1706353509892.png

++++++++++++++

1706353500283.png

If you'll excuse the dodgy wiring, I think this should be enough to satisfy the 1A draw?
I'm still getting nothing from the terminals and the tyre inflator isn't turning on.

From this I assume that it does in fact need a proper charge, which for me will be installing the DC50S.
1000007880.jpg

you can jerry rig the DC50S to another 12v battery just to wake that battery up.

the Renogy DC50S has wakeup feature. . . so it puts out 12v power to the leisure battery terminals to wake a sleeping lifepo4.

have you got the Renogy DC50 yet?

Note the factory default is 50A charge . . . so id go intro the APP and set the current limiter to 10A with the lithium profile first - before connecting up the battery . . . you need the BT2 Renogy BT adapter plugged into the DC50.

or use cables that can deal with the larger currents. . . i normally use a 12v test light as a safety buffer to stop any inrush. see below.

++++++++++++++

another way is using a jump lead set from the van. just a jump lead set from the vans starter battery - just to flash the terminal with a 12v test lamp or bulb.

you can use inline current limiting like a 12v test lamp, or 12v light bulb, or large 10w resistor - like a pre-charge resistor when using large inverters.

a 12v test light is best.

but only do that if you know what you doing. . .

++++++++++++++

1706357595736.png

to do this. . .the safe way.

just use a normal jump lead from van neg to lifepo4 neg.

then use the 12v test light from van POS to lifpepo4 POS. . .

that will let a safe small current through, but allow the voltage to wake the bms....

to rase the vans voltage, just turn on large electricals like lights, heated seats, heated screen, AC etc etc . . . that will rise the vans voltage to 14.6v or so.

First few charge cycles of any new battery it's best to go easy on the charge and discharge rate, more maintenance rate than bulk rate.

Thanks chaps.
@Dellmassive I do have the DC50S but still need to get things like proper lugs, fuses, and to do the wiring to the IGN feed etc

I plan on doing this soon but in the interim just want to make sure the battery is ok before I miss the returns window!
It looks like the test light you linked will let me do that easily enough.
Many thanks for the guidance. :thumbsup:

sure. . .

id still look at getting a mains 240v charger at asome point.

for camping with EHU,

charging the van at home during long parks or after holiday etc.

++++++++++++++

the victron IP65 is a good charger, with Lifepo4 profile, and wakeup feature (10-20A version for 100ah lithium with camper electrics is advised range)

example

1706368597520.png

++++++++++++++

as for the above. . . if you plan on getting the test light.

it needs to be a fillament type bulb, incandesant lamp. . . ie old skool normal bulb..

The newer LED versions wont work as they dont let any current through, they just sample the voltage at the tip,

LAMP testlights allow the power to flow through the bulb to the tip - then into the battery.

it might take a few seconds or a few mins for the battery to wake . . .

just keep scanning on the APP until it pops up in the list.

++++++++++++++++

Just following up on this, the IP65 is here and doing it's thing.

1000007930.png

Not sure if my multimeter is faulty though, I'm still getting no reading across the terminals :cautious:

wow 10% . . that very low. ( but you mentioned it was a reman`)

that 15A charger should have you fully charged in around 6.6667hrs lol

IP65 set to lifepo4,

fully charge a couple of times.. .

when it goes right to float, and the battery pulls less than 1A its considered 100% full.

Back