Renogy 50ah lithium battery not accepting a charge

Jim Rey

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a renogy 50ah lithium battery that is not accepting a charge. I have spent a lot of time (frustrating hours) on webchat with Renogy. They are now suggesting that I buy a Lithium charger with re-activation capability. They have one on their website but they asking £129 for it!.
I spent over £560 on my Renogy system. I have a Renogy DC-DC Mppt 30A charger with Bluetooth module. Is there a way to re-activate the battery using the DC-DC charger, which they tell me a gone into over-discharge protection mode and now refuses to charge?
Strange though, because I have a 120W solar panel trickle charging via the DC-DC Mppt charger it as well as ALT+ volts going in to it when I'm driving. I asked them to replace it under warranty as it is only 6 months old but so far no luck convincing them. I don't see why I should have to but an expensive Lithium independent charger to get it working again...if indeed it does manage to fix it

I have a renogy 50ah lithium battery that is not accepting a charge. I have spent a lot of time (frustrating hours) on webchat with Renogy. They are now suggesting that I buy a Lithium charger with re-activation capability. They have one on their website but they asking £129 for it!.
I spent over £560 on my Renogy system. I have a Renogy DC-DC Mppt 30A charger with Bluetooth module. Is there a way to re-activate the battery using the DC-DC charger, which they tell me a gone into over-discharge protection mode and now refuses to charge?
Strange though, because I have a 120W solar panel trickle charging via the DC-DC Mppt charger it as well as ALT+ volts going in to it when I'm driving. I asked them to replace it under warranty as it is only 6 months old but so far no luck convincing them. I don't see why I should have to but an expensive Lithium independent charger to get it working again...if indeed it does manage to fix it
Do you have an old school non-smart charger? You could try that for half an hour to wake up the battery.

Do you have any EHU with a charger, as that would wake it up too. So long as it's current limited.

I have connected a 240v ac to DC charger out and set the charging voltage to 14.6 which is the charging voltage for the Lithium profile. The renogy BT bluetooth app is showing a tiny current being drawn so I am hoping the BMS eventually wakes the battery up. I have had it on charge all day so i will leave it until morning and fingers crossed.

I have renogy 30adcdc and renogy lithium battery.
To reactivate I put my normal charger on the van battery and that also supplies currently to the renogy dcdc which reactivated the battery.

You can use the renogy app to confirm the dcdc is receiving current.

Post some pics.

And what voltages are you getting?

Do you have any battery monitoring?

Double post?

I have connected a 240v ac to DC charger out and set the charging voltage to 14.6 which is the charging voltage for the Lithium profile. The renogy BT bluetooth app is showing a tiny current being drawn so I am hoping the BMS eventually wakes the battery up. I have had it on charge all day so i will leave it until morning and fingers crossed.
Yep .

I'm may take 12 hours or more.

I've had to do this with a Roamer battery after if went super low.

One of the cells was too low so the bms wouldn't kick start.

Had to got to each cell in tern.

But the renogys normally wake up after a good low current trickle.

So… it’s sitting on charge now for the 8hours. When i started it was saying 14.40 on boost mode coming out of renogy 30A dc-dc mppt. I’m putting a constant 14.60 v in via the ALT+ input on renogy DC-DC . When i first put it charge it was reading 0.05A now 8 hours later it is reading 0.12A. It says Battery @14.40 v but that’s coming from output of DC-Dc charger. See attached screenshot of Renogy BT appIMG_2477.jpeg

I have renogy 30adcdc and renogy lithium battery.
To reactivate I put my normal charger on the van battery and that also supplies currently to the renogy dcdc which reactivated the battery.

You can use the renogy app to confirm the dcdc is receiving current.
Going to leave it charge overnight and hope for best. I’m supplying the 14.60v into the DC-DC from a 240v to 20A DC out PSU

Last edited:
Do you have any EHU with a charger, as that would wake it up too. So long as it's current limited.
Yes I have it being supplied with 14.60v lithium charging profile voltage. Started off with trickle charge of 0.05A now saying 0.12 8 hours later. Leaving it running overnight. Fingers crossed

Unless I’m missing something, that battery is fully charged, hence the low charge current. Have you tried connecting a load to it?

Unless I’m missing something, that battery is fully charged, hence the low charge current. Have you tried connecting a load to it?
When I disconnect the battery completely from everything there is a floating voltage of 5.63v . With any kind of small load the battery drops to 0V. The 14.4v is coming from the DC-DC controller output

Also thought worth mentioning. The bluetooth app is connecting to the bluetooth module which is plugged into the DC-DC charger. There is no bluetooth module in the Lithium battery itself. It’s a basic older type not one of the fancy new ones with bluetooth module inside the battery

Also thought worth mentioning. The bluetooth app is connecting to the bluetooth module which is plugged into the DC-DC charger. There is no bluetooth module in the Lithium battery itself
If you have access you can link the dcdc to the battery and the Bluetooth module to the battery. That way you can monitor both through the app.

If you have access you can link the dcdc to the battery and the Bluetooth module to the battery. That way you can monitor both through the app.
I don’t see a way of doing that on the battery. The DC-DC is connected to the battery and the Renogy BT is monitoring the throughput in the DC-DC MPPT charger. The only connection for the bluetooth module is on the DC-DC

Does the battery have 2 RJ45 ports, same as the 100aH ones?
On my old camper I had:
Dcdc->battery port 1
Battery port 2 -> Bluetooth module

On my current setup I have:
Dcdc->battery 1 port 1
Battery 1 port 2 -> Battery 2 port 1
Battery 2 port 2 -> Bluetooth module

With both setups I could see the dcdc charger and batteries in the app.

Screenshot_2023-09-17-22-20-31-10_cdbcd3a7d58eaa533e9688e5adf5df3a.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-17-22-20-27-04_cdbcd3a7d58eaa533e9688e5adf5df3a.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-17-22-20-24-27_cdbcd3a7d58eaa533e9688e5adf5df3a.jpg

Does the battery have 2 RJ45 ports, same as the 100aH ones?
On my old camper I had:
Dcdc->battery port 1
Battery port 2 -> Bluetooth module

On my current setup I have:
Dcdc->battery 1 port 1
Battery 1 port 2 -> Battery 2 port 1
Battery 2 port 2 -> Bluetooth module

With both setups I could see the dcdc charger and batteries in the app.

View attachment 214274

View attachment 214275

View attachment 214276
No battery has no ports at all. One of the older models i think. With hindsight I would have bought a more up to date version with built in bluetooth module self heating and rs232 port

Left it on charge overight and no luck. Renogy are now recommending that I buy their Lithium battery charger @ £129.99 . Can anyone recommend a cheap lithium battery charger with a re-activation function. My worry re buying an expensive one is that after trying that I would still have a duff battery

Back