Update: This is what I have installed to get the T6 Tailgate to work with my T5.1.

I've cut the connections to the external tailgate pressure switch and inserted them in to wire 57, including an internal momentary switch. Couldn't get the factory internal switch to work with my circuit, but this was a simple workaround.

On press of key-fob interior lights activate relay, sending power to both switches. Pressing either switch activates the Tailgate actuator. When lights go out tailgate cannot be opened.

View attachment 181161
Try 85 via switch to ground 87 to actuator 30 could be looped to 86 from
Interior lights

Anyone have any recommendations on the best place to get hold of a tailgate, really want to do this mod to my van, cheers

Anyone have any recommendations on the best place to get hold of a tailgate, really want to do this mod to my van, cheers
I got mine off eBay. I paid £300 with nothing attached to it. So all parts to buy.

I got mine off eBay. I paid £300 with nothing attached to it. So all parts to buy.
Just had a quick look. A dented one for £375 or best offer or a better one for £499. I guess you could haggle. The dented one isn’t that bad of a dent ! most of that will push out fairly easy if your reasonably handy. I’d certainly have ago at it for £300 if you could get it for that.

2C1C2AE8-66F8-40E1-862F-5DD4A6944775.png

874AEE60-F450-495E-86A8-E0721E249D7E.png

do you need any more parts other than switches etc .. does the internal lock body swap over from a t5 to a t6 tailgate... as I like the dented blue tailgate as its the correct colour for my van ! and I reckon I could de dent it reasonably well ... and it would do for now until I get the van up and running correctly

do you need any more parts other than switches etc .. does the internal lock body swap over from a t5 to a t6 tailgate... as I like the dented blue tailgate as its the correct colour for my van ! and I reckon I could de dent it reasonably well ... and it would do for now until I get the van up and running correctly
No the lock on the t5 is mechanical ( I think )where the t6 tailgate lock is fully electronic. Hope this helps.

Morning, I'm upgrading my t5 to a t6 tailgate.

I've bought a t6 carravelle tailgate but it is completely bare (in hindsight wish I'd paid extra for a complete one but hey ho)

I've been amassing all the parts to get the door physically on and operational from the inside latch.

What's still confusing me though is the handle inside and out. I've bought this handle from ebay, but I think I must be missing some extra parts.
Screenshot_20230625_112515_eBay.jpg

Can anyone confirm if 7E0927235 is the correct one? When offered up to the tailgate it doesn't look right. I have the latch and the above handle, can anyone gelp with what else is needed from the list in the sticky?

Handle / button 7E0827566

Handle inner casing 7E0827315 (packaging shows 7E0827526; don’t accept 7E5827315(A) or 7E5827526 as that is incorrect)

Reinforcement for handle 7E0827264C

Motor actuator for handle 3B5827061C

x2 bolts for actuator N10488204

Actuator Rod 7E0827515

Actuator pivot for latch 191837199

Handle outer panel trim 7E0829139G

Only diagram I can find is for a t5.1 (I think), any other advice welcome

Thanks

I have just done the tailgate conversion, I have got the new lights working but still need to wire up the tailgate locks and number plate lights. The van locks fine from the outside but not from the inside. I assume it's because the tailgate is not connected. Has anyone had this and if so found any solutions until I can get the locks working on the tailgate? Thanks

I have just done the tailgate conversion, I have got the new lights working but still need to wire up the tailgate locks and number plate lights. The van locks fine from the outside but not from the inside. I assume it's because the tailgate is not connected. Has anyone had this and if so found any solutions until I can get the locks working on the tailgate? Thanks
Read through the thread, it's all been covered before.

Hinge gaskets I've read at the start need to be either side of the body where the spreader plates are.

Screenshot_20230814_185948_Chrome.jpg

What about the interface between the hinge and the tailgate itself (mine are all separate as I bought a skin and parts seperately), does it need a gasket in this area as well?

Doesn't look like it had one on the tailgate unless it came off with no residue etc
Cheers
20230814_185548.jpg

Hi Kenny,

Great bit of work mate thank you for sharing.

This is the route I'm going down as I'm installing a t6 tailgate on a t5 barn door and do not have a t6 tailgate loom.

I've wired in relays elsewhere in the van so I'm happy with that side of it.

Ref the wiring on the two switches and onto the actuator, so I'm getting this right in my head.

W57 is the wire going to the live side of the actuator plug?

this travels from pin87 on the relay to both switches, with an additional wire being spliced in (blue area) creating a Y connector afair. Both wires then comes out of the switches before being spliced back into 1 (yellow area), wire then connects to the actuator plug, other side of actuator then wired to gnd?
Screenshot_20230816_023011_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230816_023746_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230816_023219_Chrome.jpg

Where did you mount your relay and where did you tap into the interior lights as well please?

Hopefully that makes some sense:-/

Screenshot_20230816_023746_Chrome.jpg

Hinge gaskets I've read at the start need to be either side of the body where the spreader plates are.

View attachment 209687

What about the interface between the hinge and the tailgate itself (mine are all separate as I bought a skin and parts seperately), does it need a gasket in this area as well?

Doesn't look like it had one on the tailgate unless it came off with no residue etc
Cheers
View attachment 209686
Not an engineer, but my view would be to apply a gasket to all mating metal surfaces.

Hello Guys, first i would like to thank for the great thread!! I was able to convert to tailgate my van and everything went just as described by @Ads_Essex .

However today I spent all day trying to code my BCM. I wired the lock (directly to pin 10 BCM) and switch (directly to pin 23 BCM ) exactly as described by @Littleblackflash pin 15 from T17 ( D pillar side) was wired to Ground. Unfortunately i am still not able to get the lid working. I don`t have exactly the same coding options at Byte 01 (Bit 05 as optional is missing although it shows 1) and at Byte 07 (forgot to take a photo but the Bit 5 is also missing as optional but it shows 1 at the Bit) . As you can see in the photo output test is not working. Does anybody has an idea where could the problem be? As my tailgate arrived with a cut off loom before T17, I wired all cables according to the diagrams. 3rd Stop light is working, the rear lid contact switch is working and indicates when the door is open.

I have left with only on T17 (D pillar side) pin 11 free idk what is for and pins 13 and 14 are open as I connected the Tailgate pins directly to the BCM. .

Must pins 13 and 14 from T17 (D Pillar side) be bridged from the lock and switch to pins 10 and 23 to BCM??

what i noticed is that although all doors are closed my interior light is always on (like I have an open door), I didn`t have this issue before trying to fix the BCM wiring and coding it with VCDS

It would be great is someone can help out, as i have been opening the door from inside manually via a small rope tied to the lock .. for more than 4 months :(

thank you in advance

cheers

Byte 01 VCDS.jpg

VCDS Control Module Test.jpg

I have left with only on T17 (D pillar side) pin 11 free idk what is for and pins 13 and 14 are open as I connected the Tailgate pins directly to the BCM. .

Must pins 13 and 14 from T17 (D Pillar side) be bridged from the lock and switch to pins 10 and 23 to BCM??
T17 Pin 15 sounds correct.

T17 Pin 11 should connect to the handle. Where does your handle connect?

T17 Pin 13 should connect to pin 23 BCM-A.
T17 Pin 14 should connect to pin 10 BCM-A.
[Source]

I don`t have exactly the same coding options at Byte 01 (Bit 05 as optional is missing although it shows 1) and at Byte 07 (forgot to take a photo but the Bit 5 is also missing as optional but it shows 1 at the Bit)
Ok, so is your full code E2A0313A0A21203201280F742CEB8E540F84708F60446D60320400220840 ?

Have you tried changing the coding using the LCode2 option?

Check the wiring before trying to change the coding via LCode2 and tell us how you get on.

Reactions: mmi
coding it with VCDS
Please post full VCDS Auto-Scan - it's not too easy to try to extract bytes/bits from pictures. Also there are dependencies on other control modules... thus full scan is essential.
Ok, so is your full code E2A0313A0A21203201280F742CEB8E540F84708F60446D60320400220840 ?
Assuming @Ads_Essex did all the hard work....

Please change the following:

byte 2 from 31(hex) to 39(hex)​
byte 7 from 32(hex) to 12(hex)​
just type in full bytes as above (instead of ticking the individual bits)​
and try the output test again.

Back