Auto locking

Mine has none either, in fact it didn't even come with a switch on the driver's door to lock/unlock the doors. Not sure there's an easy electrical way round this either as the mechanism to release a locked door from inside by double-pulling on the door handle is purely mechanical, so I'm assuming it's a different setup on deadlocking vans and this mechanism would have to be replaced on all doors apart from the tailgate. I'm going to have to put some thought into what can be done about this, I'm waiting in for a delivery and then heading off for a long weekend in Wales and will now be a lot more nervous of leaving the van unattended now I know how quick it would be to get the van doors open!

The best idea I've come up with so far is try and pull apart the sliding door and see if I can disengage the internal handle from being able the unlock the door via the double pull...have it so it only opens the door once I've unlocked it with key or button. It's less then ideal but neatest way I could think off for simple security. May not work, just an idea wat this stage.

An idea would be to make a bracket in front of the rear slider bump stop, and put a hole through it, use a u bolt basically to deadlock the door, leaving it free to remove at night if needed, or securing it with a nut if away..

Taking it a step further, you could use a small solenoid and pin wired to a switch that dropped the pin into the bump stop as a dead lock...

Last edited:
Auto locking update, hi everyone I'd posted earlier that I'd attempted to enable auto locking and unlocking(key out) and while the long coding check boxes were ticked it still didn't work and it hasn't since then. Just been in for first service at VW Van centre and I mentioned it to them and while initially he said it would be chargeable (it's a 17 plate van with 25k on in for first service....warranty wtf? ) as it's an optional coding request. So I reworded my question to say the van should have auto locking on from factory as requested on the vehicle order form but it doesn't work, or never has done so that's a fault then isn't it? He agreed to have a look into it baffled how he now was going to do warranty work for the same issue he was going to charge £100 for five minutes earlier!
Anyway it came out from the service and the advisor told me they'd had a look at the auto locking function and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. He said the master teckky got involved and he tried to disable the functions and then re enable them but still no joy.
Advisor suggested I book it back into the workshop maybe for a few days while they investigate the problem.
Anyone had similar experiences? I've noticed on the Califonia owners forum a couple of posts where owners have had similar problems and the dealership have told them it's no longer an option???

TIA
Martin

Pauly, and Gents,
Thank you for your posts, ramblings and general information. I now understand the deadlock/safelock after playing for a while, getting locked in and even RTFM. It's the second pull on the door handle from inside that opens it on safelock. :thumbsup: Awesome. Knew it worked but just seemed to havea brain fart.
So, is it worth investing in the vcds software to change it all?

Pauly, and Gents,
Thank you for your posts, ramblings and general information. I now understand the deadlock/safelock after playing for a while, getting locked in and even RTFM. It's the second pull on the door handle from inside that opens it on safelock. :thumbsup: Awesome. Knew it worked but just seemed to havea brain fart.
So, is it worth investing in the vcds software to change it all?
If Safelock is engaged, a second pull on the internal door handle will not open it. That will only happen if Safelock is not engaged eg when pressing interior lock button or double clicking remote lock button

Thanks @andys, yes that's correct, I think. The second press on the remote now means a double tap on the door handle allows me out for a wazz but doesn't allow anyone else in...
Got to admit I thought the term safelock meant that it's safe to be inside and be able to get out without the key... The descriptor is confusing but I now know how to get out in the event of a full bladder or fire etc.

If Safelock is engaged, a second pull on the internal door handle will not open it. That will only happen if Safelock is not engaged eg when pressing interior lock button or double clicking remote lock button
True, if Safelock is on, you cannot get out of the vehicle, hence the warning on the MFD when you switch off the ignition.

Thanks @andys, yes that's correct, I think. The second press on the remote now means a double tap on the door handle allows me out for a wazz but doesn't allow anyone else in...
Got to admit I thought the term safelock meant that it's safe to be inside and be able to get out without the key... The descriptor is confusing but I now know how to get out in the event of a full bladder or fire etc.
Absolutely, I found the term Safelock confusing when I was trying to sort out problems with my doors before I realised that Safelock was just vw marketing's name for deadlocking, I think to mask the fact that everyone else already had it and they didn't want to sound late to the party.

That’s a very interesting post !

It’s strange I have coded dozens of T6s for people and never encountered any issues all changes have taken immediate

Most interesting is the V2 MY19 reference, have the BCMs been updated beyond hex-can ? I have remotely coded an MY19 for someone and it all worked as expected (coding was accepted) but wonder if people are going to start experiencing issues with older can interfaces and I wonder what if any the limitations are going to be ?
It’s been discussed before about what the difference is when using Carista method1 vs method2 to activate auto door locking, I had suspected it was coding vs adaption but never confirmed it

I think a job for the new year will be to update the VCDS section and start getting some of this information posted especially the V2 part for newer vehicles, I suspect the guy in that post forked out on a new V2 lead when maybe not totally required ?

Reactions: mmi
That’s a very interesting post !

It’s strange I have coded dozens of T6s for people and never encountered any issues all changes have taken immediate

Most interesting is the V2 MY19 reference, have the BCMs been updated beyond hex-can ? I have remotely coded an MY19 for someone and it all worked as expected (coding was accepted) but wonder if people are going to start experiencing issues with older can interfaces and I wonder what if any the limitations are going to be ?
It’s been discussed before about what the difference is when using Carista method1 vs method2 to activate auto door locking, I had suspected it was coding vs adaption but never confirmed it

I think a job for the new year will be to update the VCDS section and start getting some of this information posted especially the V2 part for newer vehicles, I suspect the guy in that post forked out on a new V2 lead when maybe not totally required ?

I got chance to use a friend's VCDS that he uses with his Audi last night on my 18 plate t6, we activated the digital Speedo on the MFD which now works and ticked auto locking and unlocking but it wouldn't work and still won't now. He's had his VCDS cable for about 8 years I think but updated to latest version just before we plugged into my van. If I can do anything to help let me know

Last edited:
Assuming you did it through long coding you could try activating it through an adaption channel ?

Auto locking update, hi everyone I'd posted earlier that I'd attempted to enable auto locking and unlocking(key out) and while the long coding check boxes were ticked it still didn't work and it hasn't since then. Just been in for first service at VW Van centre and I mentioned it to them and while initially he said it would be chargeable (it's a 17 plate van with 25k on in for first service....warranty wtf? ) as it's an optional coding request. So I reworded my question to say the van should have auto locking on from factory as requested on the vehicle order form but it doesn't work, or never has done so that's a fault then isn't it? He agreed to have a look into it baffled how he now was going to do warranty work for the same issue he was going to charge £100 for five minutes earlier!
Anyway it came out from the service and the advisor told me they'd had a look at the auto locking function and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. He said the master teckky got involved and he tried to disable the functions and then re enable them but still no joy.
Advisor suggested I book it back into the workshop maybe for a few days while they investigate the problem.
Anyone had similar experiences? I've noticed on the Califonia owners forum a couple of posts where owners have had similar problems and the dealership have told them it's no longer an option???

TIA
Martin

I have the exact same problem. MY2019 van.
Used VCDS to code the lock/unlock - no joy.
Have just bought an OBD11 device, and same results.
Have tried it through coding and through adaption.

Having similar success with the Instrument Celebration.

It's all a bit weird, as the coding is set correctly - it writes fine. When I run the test functions the van will lock and unlock, but it will not do it automatically. Very weird.

Anyone managed to find a solution yet ?

It would be interesting to see if the new vcds cable and software can do it. Where are you located?

Back