Attempting to fit coilovers and H&R ARB's myself

minmax89

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

I've just bought a new set of coilovers and H&R anti roll bars. Would really like to have ago at fitting myself. How hard can it be?? I've watched a few videos on youtube...

I will of course be getting it four wheel alighned straight after.

I'm looking for tips and advice. But also, what tools or parts might I need?

I have the following:
good socket set
some various spanners
two trolley jacks
axel stands
bench and vise
wd40
a dry garage!
a weekend off

I dont have (and do I need?):
any other parts other than brand new coilover kit and H&R kit both from Transporter HQ
pinch bolts?
spring compressors (I deffo need them right? to transfer the top mounts?)
a workshop manual?
torque wrench?
socket for the hub nut (do I need to drop the hub?)
trim removal tools?

I'm relatively competent but have never done it.

Or should I pay like €300 for the garage to fit them?

Adam

You'll need some spline (12 point) bits for the anti roll bar saddle bolts.
If I remember correctly, they are different front and rear M12/M14
Yes you need to release the hub, loosen it first with the wheel on the ground, and tighten it up last when it's back on the ground again two weeks later:rofl:
I didn't need spring compressors but then I was taking coilovers off and replacing them with new coilovers.
You will find it easier to do one full axle at a time rather than a corner at a time mainly because of the ARB's. disconnect them first once the wheels are in the air (wheels off for access of course)

&

The front top strut nut is 22mm IIRC (please check!) and you need a through socket or big ring spanner as you need to hold the strut rod with an allan key / spline bit (cannot remember which).

CRS used one of these on my T30 to get the strut off the hub...

A15D1BCF-DD4B-4AA7-B94A-14EE0999A9C9.jpeg

The front top strut nut is 22mm IIRC (please check!) and you need a through socket or big ring spanner as you need to hold the strut rod with an allan key / spline bit (cannot remember which).

CRS used one of these on my T30 to get the strut off the hub...

View attachment 81868
It is possible to get the hub out using a cold chisel, although I imagine a lot easier with that tool.

You'll need some spline (12 point) bits for the anti roll bar saddle bolts.
If I remember correctly, they are different front and rear M12/M14
Yes you need to release the hub, loosen it first with the wheel on the ground, and tighten it up last when it's back on the ground again two weeks later:rofl:
I didn't need spring compressors but then I was taking coilovers off and replacing them with new coilovers.
You will find it easier to do one full axle at a time rather than a corner at a time mainly because of the ARB's. disconnect them first once the wheels are in the air (wheels off for access of course)
Thanks!

Had to google what a spline socket was :rofl: I'll get some of those sockets.

About those drop links...
I watched a couple of vids on you tube about fitting coilovers to a transporter.
This one showshow to do it with an allen key and ring spanner. But This one was saying 'just buy new drop link ball joints'
So if I get the right allen key and ring spanner I could try right? Not sure whether I should buy new ones.

&
Thank you! will have a good read of those just now.

Drop links.. I bough some variable length heavy duty one's to replace the feeble looking OEM's, VMaxx like this
Search for best price with shipping.
Make sure they are done up tight, I had knocking from the front until I found the drop links had knocked the powdercoat off the ARB and was now loose.

Spline Bit Set
plus an M14 for the front
The rears are M10

I thought they were, but the linked 'How To' by Dory said M10 so I bowed to his knowledge.

It doesn't look like I'll be getting it done this weekend but it gives me a bit of time to get the right tools in.

I'm looking at getting the following tools to do coilovers and ARB's:
spline bit set - Spline Bit Set - 5pc 1/2" Drive
22mm ring spanner - Combination Spanner - 22mm
(or do I need 19mm?)
spring compressor - Coil Spring Compressor

Can anyone tell me if these are correct (or if I need anything else) before I go purchase please?

Thanks!

It doesn't look like I'll be getting it done this weekend but it gives me a bit of time to get the right tools in.

I'm looking at getting the following tools to do coilovers and ARB's:
spline bit set - Spline Bit Set - 5pc 1/2" Drive
22mm ring spanner - Combination Spanner - 22mm
(or do I need 19mm?)
spring compressor - Coil Spring Compressor

Can anyone tell me if these are correct (or if I need anything else) before I go purchase please?

Thanks!
Hardest thing I came across when doing mine was separating the ball joint and removing the wipers.
I used a bearing puller to remove the wiper arm. The ball joint got destroyed. Ball joint seperator didn't work and ended up using a long wedge bar and a lump hammer. Replaced both ball joints and then got it hunter aligned.

Here’s the twin-adjust-projekt max low coilover kit:
IMG_9991.JPG
I cannot for the life of me work out how they are ‘adjustable’. More importantly, I think they have to be adjusted before they go on.

here’s the instructions for the rear shocks:
IMG_6280.JPG
And here’s the instructions that came with the front shocks:
IMG_7245.JPG
IMG_7245.JPG

IMG_8598.JPG

Last edited:
In the last couple of years I’ve done shocks and springs on my Skoda Superb and shocks, springs and ARBs on my 911. They are not difficult if you have the right tools. Ball joints can be split with two big hammers!

Only went to @CRS Performance as van is my daily driver and price was good - not worth me struggling. That and the fact Steve will swap out springs if the stance isnt right.

Here’s the twin-adjust-projekt max low coilover kit:
View attachment 82437
I cannot for the life of me work out how they are ‘adjustable’. More importantly, I think they have to be adjusted before they go on.

here’s the instructions for the rear shocks:
View attachment 82438
And here’s the instructions that came with the front shocks:
View attachment 82440
View attachment 82440

View attachment 82439
If you’re talking about the damping adjustment I think they are set to their softest setting out of the box. It’s worth checking that with either who supplied them to you, or give Brett @Chilli Jam Vans a call or message. They supply and fit this kit so should be able to help if you get no joy with your supplier.

If you’re talking about the damping adjustment I think they are set to their softest setting out of the box. It’s worth checking that with either who supplied them to you, or give Brett @Chilli Jam Vans a call or message. They supply and fit this kit so should be able to help if you get no joy with your supplier.
I got them from Andy at THQ. Will drop him an email

Back