Fitting H&R Anti-Roll Bars

Dory

Craig now has a Crafter
T6 Pro
251C55C4-5E5F-494B-9F99-F84A01887C82.jpeg C513EFE0-ECB8-462C-AA98-F7C9788EEBC3.jpeg FB1B24E7-CF8C-478C-8DDD-2FA9D09DB3B6.jpeg
Well today it was time to fit these H&R anti roll bars to see if it stiffened the ride

1st I attacked the rear, now I have the LED headlights which means I have the levelling sensor mount to the rear arb, make sure you get the correct kit ie xenon arb otherwise it won’t work

Last edited by a moderator:
Fronts were easy enough if I wasn’t 4motion, we had to move the prop shaft up but once all mounts were off and drop links it came out the offside really well

Tools for the front were
18mm ratchet spanner
T40 torx screw driver
M14 spline bit and ratchet
(Not including tools to remove prop)

Rear tools were
M10 spline and ratchet
13mm socket
Bottle jack to push the arb into the under side of the wishbone before bolting clamp down

Awesome
See you at Jam then,I assume you will have the forum stickers on display.. especially after all.our backing in the comp:whistle:

:thumbsup:

Awesome
See you at Jam then,I assume you will have the forum stickers on display.. especially after all.our backing in the comp:whistle:

:thumbsup:
You will mate might enter into show n shine
I don’t have a sticker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 37005 View attachment 37006 View attachment 37007 Well today it was time to fit these H&R anti roll bars to see if it stiffened the ride

1st I attacked the rear, now I have the LED headlights which means I have the levelling sensor mount to the rear arb, make sure you get the correct kit ie xenon arb otherwise it won’t work

Now you've had a bit of time with these, have you noticed a difference? If so, have you had anything else done (springs, B14's etc..)

Now you've had a bit of time with these, have you noticed a difference? If so, have you had anything else done (springs, B14's etc..)

This is without doubt the best suspension mod I have ever fitted to a van :) I have had them on awhile now but the difference is like night and day, it’s still only lowered on 30mm springs and I won’t be doing anymore suspension mods now as it’s perfect

Hope this helps

Noticed quite a few people seem to fit arb’s ?????
I have run b14s on many vans and campers without thinking anything but it was smooth and tighter overall better...... what does fitting h&r arb’s really improve???
Sorry in advance if it’s a dumb question ...I understand it’s a van not a track car

Noticed quite a few people seem to fit arb’s ?????
I have run b14s on many vans and campers without thinking anything but it was smooth and tighter overall better...... what does fitting h&r arb’s really improve???
Sorry in advance if it’s a dumb question ...I understand it’s a van not a track car

If your running standard suspension and fit the uprated ARBs there's a considerable reduction in body roll, with negligible reduction in the ride quality. If your van's a camper with a the weight of a pop top, high above the centre of gravity, then personally, I found the improved body control superb. Much more enjoyable to drive in my view. In fact, I'd say it's actually a more relaxing drive as theres less sensation of being tipped out your seat on the bendy bits.

This is without doubt the best suspension mod I have ever fitted to a van :) I have had them on awhile now but the difference is like night and day, it’s still only lowered on 30mm springs and I won’t be doing anymore suspension mods now as it’s perfect

Hope this helps

Yes, very helpful. I’m hoping to do a similar upgrade, maybe 40mm springs and then maybe ARB. Can’t justify the B14 route (won’t be allowed if I’m honest) but the Mrs does like the look of a lower van which any of the spring only options will give.

I have just has H&R front and rear ARB fitted along with the B14 after much consideration. The difference is amazing on a full camper conversion, much more stable, drives very well and is more comfortable than the standard suspension in my opinion. Van went into Bognor Motors for the work to be done and very pleased with the outcome, not least of which is the ability to level the van with the adjustable set up on the B14 installation.

I'll probably go for the thicker ARBs as well after having B14s fitted a month ago.

The Bilsteins have turned the bouncy crashy ride of standard VW suspension my T28 camper conversion into a plush car type ride quality, however going round an off camber curve, or worse still series of the same, brings back a reminder that you're in a van with a fairly high centre of gravity and you still feel that initial split second lurch towards the ditch, dialling that back by linking each wheel with an even thicker girder has to help, all these improvements are tiny increments though, very 50 Shades of Indium Grey.:rolleyes:

I'll probably go for the thicker ARBs as well after having B14s fitted a month ago.

The Bilsteins have turned the bouncy crashy ride of standard VW suspension my T28 camper conversion into a plush car type ride quality, however going round an off camber curve, or worse still series of the same, brings back a reminder that you're in a van with a fairly high centre of gravity and you still feel that initial split second lurch towards the ditch, dialling that back by linking each wheel with an even thicker girder has to help, all these improvements are tiny increments though, very 50 Shades of Indium Grey.:rolleyes:
I also have a T28 camper and found the H&R ARBs made negligible difference, but apparently there are two holes they can put them in and it’s the inner ones that stiffen them up the most. I need to get under mine and have a look what setting THQ fitted mine on.

With our van coming up to 3 years old in October, and with the intention to keep it longer term, I have started to look at wheels and suspension upgrades - consequently, I have started to take a bit more interest in these threads :)

One of the things I was considering was H&R ARBs but, looking at the picture above, the H&R seems to be an awful lot fatter than the OEM one - the issue I would have is that there is only a few millimetres clearance between my underslung water tank and rear ARB and I suspect the uprated H&R ARB would close this gap further, possibly even touching the water tank (which I'm guessing wouldn't be a good idea) - any idea what the difference in diameter is between the H&R and OEM and whether there is likely to be any vibration/flex issue potentially damaging the water tank?

@andys No need to get under the van. Just turn steering full lock. ARB is just behind the drive shaft.

@Davenjo Factory rear ARB on my T32 was 28mm dia. H&R is 30mm. So in effect you only need 1mm additional clearance across the radius.

20190412_094349.jpg

Thanks @Dieseldonkey - assuming the shape of the bar is exactly the same, 1mm extra wouldn't be a problem but it definitely looks more difference than that between photo and what is fitted to mine - could be an optical illusion or is the T32 version slightly fatter to start with?

Back