My van is in today for App Connect activation. I have Discovery Navigation fitted on a Mar '16 Highline, and already had the dealer on the phone telling me that that USB socket isn't compatible, so I need the upgraded USB at £60. Fingers crossed and an update later. I am sure that I have read about this on one of the Golf forum, so wasn't completely surprised.

The loan van has the newer Composite Media unit which has a App button where I have Nav, I plugged in and apart from activating Siri on my phone it all worked first time.

Should be getting it back tonight and will be able to finish the tale, with part numbers and dealer costs - oh yea, and whether it works as seamlessly as on the loaner.

quick update on mine , spoke to someone else at the dealers today and apparently they can do it to mine now for £218 + the cost of the new socket if needed

Hmm.....

So the upgrade didn’t go to plan :( it’s only working with android phones - I have an iPhone 6. They changed the USB socket, tried different lightening cables but no joy.

The unit software has been upgraded, and reset so had to reconnect the Bluetooth devices and frustratingly the Front Rear Fader has been removed - I have rear speakers, which seem to work but I can’t adjust them.

All in all I’m a bit pissed off - they have a case open with VWC Tech. But also told me that they have had problems with other MY16 Vans.

Here’s the system info screen after the update. App Connect is active but when you attach the phone via USB it’s says it’s not a compatible device.

I refused to pay for the Code or Activation - they can have their money when I see it working.

7DA0E1EB-0A20-4F80-9F2E-C65692D5E391.jpeg

i wonder if its because they changed the usb socket but not the cable from the socket to the unit ??

do you still have the sockets and leads pauly ??

I do, its not the lead its the sockets, i believe it has to be a usb socket with the green connector plug on to identify it has the apple compatibility chip in it - VW do it with PR codes

so the chip is in the socket ?
do the cables that come on the van fitted with those sockets have green ends too or are they pink like the not compatible sockets ?
mine also says not comapatible with phone when i plug my iphone in , i have the socket with the pink plug
how much do you sell the sockets for ?

On the rear of the usb sockets i believe
Not sure what the price is of the sockets would need to do some digging, the sockets i have are for a twin outlet setup and are not suitable for single outlet setups but they all seem to be circa £25

That part number looks highly likely
xxx035726 is certainly correct for a small outlet usb (no media jack)

Just a quick update, App Connect now running, they replaced the USB and Connector, the reapplied the activation code.

Part Numbers were:

W5Q0 035 726E USB CONN.
W4E0 035 750F Connector

Also sorted the Front - Rear Fader that they deleted, then had to recode the rear camera as well.

It's a bloody expensive way to get Spotify control. Would have been better off sticking with Apple Music :(

I had mine done by the dealer today total of £201.00 including vat

I'm using an iPhone x and have no issues with it connecting/working. with the original usb socket.

to be honest I'm not a fan of it already. think all options for phone , music, and sat nav work better on the head unit than the app connect. you can not answer or hang up a call from steering wheel function. you can not use your steering wheel function for selecting a contact to ring from recents ect. when using maps it does not appear on screen between dials. turn by turn.
the list could go on to be honest. plus side is I got another function that works.
IMG_0342.jpg

pls see a picture of my recipe from VW West Yorkshire they only charge me £168.07+vat total of £201.68.

as you can see they did not have to change my usb connector for my apple iPhone x to work on it. my van was new 29th November 16.

I also find it odd different VW dealerships are charging people £218.00+vat more than I paid including vat.

IMG_0354.jpg

I think your dealer has done you a good price, IIRC the activation code is over £200 inc vat so guess they have passed on some of their discount and dont seem to have charged you any labour ?

Still cheaper than a fine and 6 points so I'm in. Apple do my nut in though with restriction on what can be used. Spotify is ok but mixcloud is not. Messages are ok but what'sapp is not. Apple maps are ok but Waze is not.
I'm falling out of love with apple for just that reasons you mention. Waze is set to destroy Garmin/TomTom in the next year or so imo.
Far be it for me to lecture the worlds most profitable company, but I have an apple MacBook pro; iPad; iphone; Apple watch, and I am seriously thinking samsung/andriod are the way forward.

anyone sometimes find it doesn't want to connect with phone? my van went back to VW today but of course they found no fault. then on me way back it did it just the once, had to unplug usb lead then pop back in and it worked! so annoying

We had App Connect on the factory build. I wouldn't be without it for my Android phone! I had it on my Skoda car and was well impressed so it went on the build list even though I also have Navigation in the head unit.

I much prefer the Google Navigation system with live traffic indication and you can pre-load your routes onto your phone before your journey after using your desktop computer/laptop to plan journeys and add stops. The music and podcast apps are getting more and more support from Android Auto.

The microphone button on your steering wheel will work with the voice activated features if you press and hold it. ;)

So its a must have for me!

I do experience some issues where it will forget your phone which is very frustrating when it was only connected 10 minutes beforehand! It often takes a while for the headunit to 'boot up' from off and you have to be patient. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the lead will allow it it reconnect automatically. Other times, you have to go into the device menu and select your phone again. Not sure if its the phone end or VW software that causes this.

I have a 2018 edition 30 panel van. I was supposed to have it as standard. Took the van home from the dealers , tried it out and it didnt work. Wasnt activated .
Took it back to the dealers who activated it, left dealers and found Nav and Bluetooth not working. Went back to dealers and showed them. Rebooked van in.
Dealer then reflashed the head unit and now all works. I think App connect is excellent. Only wish it was wireless.

well mines been fine now for weeks so maybe it did work but i dunno its never been this good since I took it in for repair but they say they didnt do anything to it

Back