Pethew

Anyone got App connect to work in thier T6 ? I can see it and it asks for a code , but I’m told from the dealer that it isn’t possible to have the app connect unless it has been ordered from the factory. But why can I see it on the screen ..The Dealer seems lost on the subject ..

App connect is a factory option, if you chose and paid for it when ordering then it should be sorted by the dealer, did you spec any extras on the headunit when ordering ?
if you didnt then i think they are correct, the interface for communicating with mobile devices is built into a usb controller hiding behind your dash somewhere so if you didnt choose it i dont think it will be there

Thanks Pauly, to be fair it's my first VW transporter and I did spec the upgrade to Satnav but didn't know I would need to spec the App connect .. So do you know if this can be done after the event ... Seems a shame not to be able to use it ... But tell you what I also have a VW Passat but the T6 is the best to drive , just love it ..

It can be retro fitted but you would need to buy a new usb control box/lead and part of the dash would need to come off to fit it and it would require coding in with VCDS

I've got app connect on mine well have paid for it but carnt get it to work been trying to get it to work today as pethew says it asks for a code, will be calling the dealer in the morning to sort this

I've got app connect on mine well have paid for it but carnt get it to work been trying to get it to work today as pethew says it asks for a code, will be calling the dealer in the morning to sort this
Hi I've got App connect and CarNet on mine, and I have got both working.
Have you got CarNet on yours?
For App-Conect:
I use an iPhone 6S for my App connect - Apple Carplay. Are you sure your Phone and Operating system support App Connect? Have you got a recent update on its Operating System?
You need to connect your phone through its data cable through the USB in the van nearest to the ICE system in the dash.
AppConnect does not work through Bluetooth
Is your cable a high quality or OEM phone data cable?
It should just be plug and play, you shouldn't need to register:)
For VW CarNet: (You do need to register for this, it's free from VW for the first 3 years)
To get CarNet working you need to register your VIN Number on the VW Carnet site, I have a VW CarNet App on my phone( from your app store), which I have registered.
Mine would not connect through my phone, I am not sure if it was an IPhone thing or a Vodafone thing.
To get it working I purchased a VW CarStick from Amazon (not cheap around £85), and also a "3" data only sim card £30 for 16gb/1 year of data.
I can also set up the van as a Hotspot and connect other devices through it, it works really well, as a hotspot, but the CarNet is of very limited use for me.
Not sure if any of this helps, but there you go anyway;)

Last edited:
I have an App-Connect option on my second hand t6, the manual says good things about it, when I select it though I get this:

"App-Connect"
You can activate the function by means of an activation key.
Please contact your dealer.

Has anyone got this set up, have read online that many have the option even though it isn't available to them.

I believe it requires the usb interface to be installed which is a factory option

Theres a small USB interface required which can be purchased as a spare part but would require removing part of the dash to fit

Hi I've got App connect and CarNet on mine, and I have got both working.
Have you got CarNet on yours?
For App-Conect:
I use an iPhone 6S for my App connect - Apple Carplay. Are you sure your Phone and Operating system support App Connect? Have you got a recent update on its Operating System?
You need to connect your phone through its data cable through the USB in the van nearest to the ICE system in the dash.
AppConnect does not work through Bluetooth
Is your cable a high quality or OEM phone data cable?
It should just be plug and play, you shouldn't need to register:)
For VW CarNet: (You do need to register for this, it's free from VW for the first 3 years)
To get CarNet working you need to register your VIN Number on the VW Carnet site, I have a VW CarNet App on my phone( from your app store), which I have registered.
Mine would not connect through my phone, I am not sure if it was an IPhone thing or a Vodafone thing.
To get it working I purchased a VW CarStick from Amazon (not cheap around £85), and also a "3" data only sim card £30 for 16gb/1 year of data.
I can also set up the van as a Hotspot and connect other devices through it, it works really well, as a hotspot, but the CarNet is of very limited use for me.
Not sure if any of this helps, but there you go anyway;)
Chriscroft thank you for this I was trying to connect with Bluetooth will try and set it up when I have some free time

Doesn't the sat nav come with the USB as standard, this is what the configurator says:

4 speakers
Discover Media Navigation system
Radio/navigation system
USB interface (for iPod/Iphone) and AUX-IN jack

And if you add the app connect it doesn't ask for the 2nd usb as a required extra. So it should work with
just a activation . Or am I just missing something !

Been told its over £200 if ordered after delivery , that sort of put me off and the cable only arrangement.
Don't think I'll bother but it'll be good to know if its just the code needed rather than hardware as well.

AFAIK all vehicles come with a USB that works for charging mobile devices etc, carplay/app connect is a separate factory option that includes the apple interface on the usb line hidden away in the dash but if you order the discover media then yes i think it is included as part of the bundle now but im not sure it has always been this way as it was listed as an extra on mine and that has sat nav ??
Its hard to keep up with it all as VW seem to change around the configurations quite a bit

I managed to set my car-net up yesterday via the car-net portal to get the code needed. Doesn't seem to have the options it shows on the YouTube demo video though like unlocking the vehicle with your phone and speed limit alerts. Can look at the weather and news though

I managed to set my car-net up yesterday via the car-net portal to get the code needed. Doesn't seem to have the options it shows on the YouTube demo video though like unlocking the vehicle with your phone and speed limit alerts. Can look at the weather and news though
Yes, I found out too some of the options on car net apply to cars but not commercials!

I think i need to take back that statement as dealers seem to be all saying no ATM
The apple connectivity is in the usb socket itself ie some will work with app connect and some wont so if you didnt factory order it then the usb socket itself may need changing.
I have found a part number for an app connect activation code but it needs to be entered with a VAS computer (what dealers use) i enquired for a price on one and they start at £2500 for the basic machine !!
Personally i still think it can be done but all dealers are refusing so i think it will need more time for info to flow through before any actually agree to do it

So if I understand you right if I get the USB sockets I have and add the USB control box I will be able to CarPlay working

Back