Sorry just to confirm this can now be retro fitted at a dealership? Price is certainly a lot lower than I was quoted a few months back for a retrofit.

Wireless carplay would be nice, probably just a firmware update in the future. No doubt a hefty charge to go with it!

No dealers have confirmed but don't see why not, my guy with ODIS charges £50 for a session so price would be £220 but dealer would prob charge a bit more

Still cheaper than a fine and 6 points so I'm in. Apple do my nut in though with restriction on what can be used. Spotify is ok but mixcloud is not. Messages are ok but what'sapp is not. Apple maps are ok but Waze is not.

I'm going to see if I can twist their arms to include it in my Inspection Service charge, what's the betting on the answer being...... 'No!'

Still cheaper than a fine and 6 points so I'm in. Apple do my nut in though with restriction on what can be used. Spotify is ok but mixcloud is not. Messages are ok but what'sapp is not. Apple maps are ok but Waze is not.
Whatsapp is Facebook, Waze is Google, Apple sees them as main competitors so doesn't want them encroaching on their territory. There have been a lot of calls on Apple to open up iMessage to allow others to use it but they quite like the "green people" not to be able to join in group messages, keeps the message in their head to buy an iPhone next time

Perhaps I don't have high expectations but I find the CarPlay with my iPhone OK. Works well with Spotify and the message app is good enough, plus using the USB it charges while in the van. The most frustrating thing is that you often have to reconnect at least once to get Spotify to work. Anybody else had this?

How does that compare with android? Wondering if andriod auto gives a better experience in the car. I'd switch if so.

I have app connect and i use it on android sometimes , when i remember to plug it in. All works fine. I do like being able to reply to text messages (handsfree) , where as voice control only reads messages out to you.

Just spoke to my local dealer about this and was told only gen 2 discovery media head units can be activated ! Typical that mine is apparently a gen 1 so can't be done

Just after some advice re head unit resale options..my van gets built on Monday and I opted for the discovery media 6.3 screen upgrade with app connect I have since found out from my converters will remove this head unit and it's too late to cancel the upgrade. Is their a market for this head unit as it will be removed as soon as van is delivered.?

Not complete madness, think about the main reason a high end factory stereo suddenly becomes available...
yes but nor should I be controlled by VW as to what I can sell I should be the owner of the coding too

Back