they say it doesn't have the right output input to run rear speakers reversing camera and DVD/Tv tuner.

As per @Freestone71 post above, does anyone know how tell whether I have a "Gen 1 or a Gen 2 head unit" please? - mine's a T6 built in late 2015, registered January 2016.

I assume it's 'Discover Media navigation system' and not the 'Plus' variant, as I have a standard dash with a single USB socket & no Voice Control etc. I think there's now a bigger fancier satnav with an 8" screen too? These were the options back in the December 2015 brochure:

As mine was a pre-registered demo I couldn't choose options & App-Connect tells me to talk to a Dealer for an activation code as per other threads. I've read elsewhere on Golf forums that the VW Passenger Car division were slow to offer this as a retrofit on cars but did start to do so, though I've not yet found anyone with a Transporter who's definitively had it added by VW Commercial UK as a retrofit.

Last edited:
Several people have had it done, it was slow coming but plenty of dealers are able to do it now

Not aware of Gen 1/Gen2 units, the Discovery Media Plus is a higher spec unit and includes a few more bits, in other motors the plus has 3D maps as well but not seen or heard of one in a T6 yet ?

i would be interesting in knowing if I have a gen 1 or 2 mine was registered 27th November 2016 was not bothered for the app connect as the disco media is quality on its own. but if price is right just another thing to tick off I suppose.

The headunit will display its part number in one of the menus we could try comparing to see if there is any differences, mines a 2015 so will defo be an early one

ill post a picture of mine when it comes back next week as my dealer said its a gen 1
unfortunatly since then someone decided to drive into the side of me causing nearly £10k worth of damage so its at the bodyshop !!

F67E33FF-8FBE-4B14-953A-30364EDCD3AB.jpeg I’ll Can anyone tell from my head unit pics in earlier post if I have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 pls I have also attached a pic of my user manual I got with my head unit it says it’s issued 05.2016 don’t no if this helps lol

Thanks Karl

Last edited:
I have this as a factory option and trying to use with Android Auto, however I cannot get it to find Spotify, it just keeps trying to play Google Music, any idea how to sort this?

I have this as a factory option and trying to use with Android Auto, however I cannot get it to find Spotify, it just keeps trying to play Google Music, any idea how to sort this?
If you press the music button on the screen, I think it's a headphones symbol, it will bring up a drop down list of the audio players you have, i.e. Spotify, Amazon, Google. You should be able to select Spotify from there.

If you press the music button on the screen, I think it's a headphones symbol, it will bring up a drop down list of the audio players you have, i.e. Spotify, Amazon, Google. You should be able to select Spotify from there.
Tried pressing that and doesnt bring up any options..

Back