Another newbie...and totally green!

Unless you have one that mounts on a towbar ball as and when required. Removable town at is a VW extra with electrics, but @Victoria Alletson you'll know about towbars I expect.

hmmm...hadn't thought of that...I did consider a towball mounted carrier, but decided on a door mounted one...might have to forgo the spoiler then.

I know...but I really can't be bothered with all the faff...I just want it sorted...I haven't got much of a clue on buying a van really.

Don't rush it mate, there's plenty on here to help sound things out for you.. As I say, have a look at some pre reg prices, and give a couple of companies a bell.. The difference could pay for some of the bits you might otherwise have to for go.. You can also get it checked over by the AA etc, but if it's from a dealer, it should be reasonable..

@Victoria Alletson , depending on availability of a suitable van and workload of convertor, you are probably already too late to get the best out of your van this summer? With that in mind have you considered hiring one for a week or so to see how you get on and decide which bits work/don't work for you??

That really would be a sensible thing to do, but I'm the sort of person that when I get something into my head, it's pretty much all systems go...the conversion is about 6-8 weeks at the minute as he has a list of 24 people and he says they can do about 4 a week (not sure how true that is)...I just hadn't considered all the different base van options.

Don't rush it mate, there's plenty on here to help sound things out for you.. As I say, have a look at some pre reg prices, and give a couple of companies a bell.. The difference could pay for some of the bits you might otherwise have to for go.. You can also get it checked over by the AA etc, but if it's from a dealer, it should be reasonable..

Where would I look? I'm in Lancashire.

Part of the fun in all of this is the journey.. The arrival at the destination etc is great, but enjoy the process with the knowledge of the good times ahead..

Lwb 140 e5 BMT Sportline Kombi with just under 9k on the clock 2015 65 reg barn doors loads of bits.. 27k plus vat, but it's reserved... They do nationwide delivery.. Just as an example..

My converter chap could get me a 2016 highline with 21k miles + my bits and bobs + conversion for £36k, now I'm not sure what the engine is, but I'll speak to him on Monday. They go for ex lease vans I think.

I got a highline for less than the leightons one with del miles on it though..

To be honest, as long as it's a decent van I'm not too bothered...its not going to be my day to day vehicle, it's just for camping, so if it's not brand new and has a few more miles that's ok because I'm not going to be doing loads of miles.

But it's a SWB 102ps 5-speed, but with Highline spec, and already done with no customer (@Victoria Alletson) input.
I know - it was just an example as the £36k quoted was against an unknown engine/mileage and will no doubt creep up as all of the things we have been talking about get thrown into the pot - just trying to show that the budget being talked about is not that far off buying brand new. Also worth noting that Hillside picked up 3 first place design awards at the NEC show a couple of months back including the Birchover winning in the over £43k category.

Mileage was 21k.

You've all given me loads to think about, I need to have a discussion with the converter.

You may find it useful to look at Jerba Campervans' website [1] which gives a lot of the sort for information that we needed when trying to specify a van. It should also give you an idea of the total price that you are trying to beat. Jerba are one of the six UK converters who are officially registered as a Vehicle Body Builder for Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. Their conversions are based on the T6 Window Van which is supplied with many of the features that are optional extras on panel vans. Incidentally, you will see that they are well aware of the midge problem (since they are based in Scotland) and specify suitable netting for their elevating roofs.

My wife and I found it hard to work out just what we really needed in a van for comfortable camping. Gather as many opinions as possible from forums (like this one) and blogs on the web. We were also helped by people we met, who were keen to show us their van and explain their choices. Although we didn't, I think that it is a good idea to hire a van for a few days - choosing one with a layout as close possible to the one you believe you want.

Best wishes, Richard.

[1] Jerba Campervans, North Berwick, East Lothian EH39 5PW
Jerba Campervans - VW T6 Campervans

Ok...following the pre-reg thing from last week, turns out there's a chap who lives up the road who's son deals with vans. He can get me a brand new T6 Highline T30 LWB 102ps manual in white for £21900 + vat (so about £26k) or £19295 + vat (£23k) with a 12 month retention scheme on the log book...not sure if I like that idea.

What do you think?

I'm asking more about the price...it's cheaper than a new one to buy from VW, but not by a great deal

I'm not up for the 12 month log book retention scheme at all...

@Victoria Alletson i bought my van from feeder commercials in Bristol . It was a LWB T30 140 BMT startline panel van with 33k on the clock and it was £18k + vat. No issues and I would highly recommend them if you are looking for a base van to convert (I have no affiliation). I travelled all the way from Glasgow for it as it was the colour I wanted (Acapulco blue)

However the prices you have mentioned above for a new van sound very good to me

I'm asking more about the price...it's cheaper than a new one to buy from VW, but not by a great deal

I'm not up for the 12 month log book retention scheme at all...
I definitely wouldn't get a van this way, whatever anyone tells you it is a 'dodgy deal' of sorts and if you decide you want to sale the van before you get the log book and have done any mods really not sure where you would stand, that's assuming the you ever get the van, lots of threads on here about this.
If you have a budget in mind look on the VW commercial website there are lots of panel vans, low mileage, albeit not brand new, for less money and some with extras already on.

Back