Hello - (another) new member intro

spenny_b

VIP Member
Afternoon folks,

Well, after well-over 5yrs of deliberating the prospect of getting a 'van, I finally decided last weekend to do it. Rip the plaster, accept the decent buy-back offer that my "daily" car dealer has made, and use that equity as a deposit for a T6.1.

I couldn't even guess how many YT videos and build series I've watched over the years - all very inspiring, all have numerous things I've learnt and made a mental note of. Much as I love the idea of building my own van, and have the ability and tools to do it (have done many-a car and motorbike project over the years), it's time that's making me go the pre-built route. Firstly, my job can mean long and unpredictable hours, and secondly the days of working in the garage until 1am/2am in the evening are behind; all well and good when I was in my 20's/30's, but about to hit the big 5-0 next year.....realistically it'd probably take about a year to build something how I want. For various reasons, I want to start hitting the road, go exploring and stop-thinking-about-it and actually do it.

However, this is Van#1 and who's to say that in a few years time I won't build myself a Crafter.

My daughter and I rented a nice LWB T5.1 via Goboony a few years ago, when the world was still a bit wobbly with regards to travel. It was our litmus test to see whether vanning was for us, taking it on a 10 day trip around Scotland. In short, we both absolutely loved it, once I found my Spidey Senses and stopped banging my head everywhere. The vendors parting comments to me were "don't think of this as motorhoming, this is camping in a van". Sage advice. I was gutted to give the keys back when we got home. A pretty basic build but it was our faithful companion and didn't miss a beat.

So, the daily car goes tomorrow, and in parallel I'm writing my must-have and nice-to-have list - I'm the world worst example of analysis paralysis....but I think I'm getting there having now seen quite a few examples at local dealerships. First visit to a builder is on Wednesday, the chap sounded absolutely great over a couple of phonecalls, very knowledgeable (I'm in IT as a techie, so my BS-o-meter is always on....but wasn't triggered by speaking to this guy - a good sign).

Will post an update once I move it forward, but in the meantime, nice to virtually meet everyone and am looking forward to contributing to the forum in due course.

Spencer

Hi Wayne....wow....after 187 views and 2 months, somebody says hello!

Yeah I did. Went with All Seasons, working with the guy in their High Wycombe office, but the van is being built nr Durham. The initial collection date could've been yesterday but insurance mandates an S5 tracker (and I'd want one for peace-of-mind anyway), and the dates just didn't work for getting that done, plus I'm flying out tomorrow on business for a week, so *all a bit rushed*. I'm working with @Dav-Tec to get a Metatrak installed the day after collection, which will be just after I get back on Mon 4th Sept.

I went up to Chester-le-Street about a month ago to have a look around and see the build progress. The "charge hand" up in there, a very nice guy, gave me the tour of their facilities (proper set-up, 5x big new industrial units, 3 doing a different stage of the build, plus showroom and offices). It was nice to meet the chaps on the tools, but bloody hell it's a long way from where I live!! Whatever, it's a fun project and worth investing a couple of days holiday and a roadtrip.

So, very much looking forward to getting this ballache of a business trip over with and then collecting the new toy. It'll be called "Ada", after my Grandmother. I've never named a car or bike before, but a) it's seemingly the rule and b) it kind of feels fitting - she would've loved it. It's going to be pressed into action straight away, a pal and I are off to the Goodwood Revival on the Sunday, staying over locally and getting some running-in miles done.

Cheers
Spencer

Hi Wayne....wow....after 187 views and 2 months, somebody says hello!

Yeah I did. Went with All Seasons, working with the guy in their High Wycombe office, but the van is being built nr Durham. The initial collection date could've been yesterday but insurance mandates an S5 tracker (and I'd want one for peace-of-mind anyway), and the dates just didn't work for getting that done, plus I'm flying out tomorrow on business for a week, so *all a bit rushed*. I'm working with @Dav-Tec to get a Metatrak installed the day after collection, which will be just after I get back on Mon 4th Sept.

I went up to Chester-le-Street about a month ago to have a look around and see the build progress. The "charge hand" up in there, a very nice guy, gave me the tour of their facilities (proper set-up, 5x big new industrial units, 3 doing a different stage of the build, plus showroom and offices). It was nice to meet the chaps on the tools, but bloody hell it's a long way from where I live!! Whatever, it's a fun project and worth investing a couple of days holiday and a roadtrip.

So, very much looking forward to getting this ballache of a business trip over with and then collecting the new toy. It'll be called "Ada", after my Grandmother. I've never named a car or bike before, but a) it's seemingly the rule and b) it kind of feels fitting - she would've loved it. It's going to be pressed into action straight away, a pal and I are off to the Goodwood Revival on the Sunday, staying over locally and getting some running-in miles done.

Cheers
Spencer
Great news @spenny_b you're in very safe hands with Chris @Dav-Tec , wifey and I met him and his Mrs and daughter at 'summer camp', Chris sat me in his van to listen to the most awesome van based sound system I have ever heard. Speaking on behalf of the forum, we all look forward to seeing 'Ada' in all her glory! Photos are acceptable until an 'in the flesh' meet transpires!

Reactions: CAB
Back