Another newbie...and totally green!

Veema

Teaching Assistant
T6 Guru
Hi all

I'm a seasoned caravanner, but last year my husband died and I decided the caravan was too big for me and the child (11 years old) to manage...I'm also a bit anxious about towing, so the caravan was sold a few weeks back and since then I've been feeling, well a bit odd. So...after traipsing round many motorhome places (ugh), we've decided that a campervan is the way to go.

So...we've been and looked at a few converters in our local area and have decided on Camperversions in Darwen. Anyone heard of them? Apart from on facebook, I can't find any reviews for them anywhere. I'm looking at getting a newish T6 highline (I think) - do I want a LWB or SWB? What else should I be wanting / needing. My general requirements are air con, decent conversion interior, some chunky alloys, rear spoiler, side bars, bike rack, heater, poptop, and awning rail...

I've looked at loads of websites, read loads of forums and it's all a minefield...and I just can't bring myself to push the 'send' button of the e-mail saying I want to go ahead.

IMO LWB is better suited to camping.. just a touch more room inside that make all the difference.. but saying that LWB are harder to fit in carparks.. ie shopping

Go by numberous recommendations, if I was you. There a few companies that have not been recommended on here.. so worth a search..
The waitinf lists for good companies tends to be long which is worth bearing in mind.. the finer details can be sorted as time goes on..
People like
@slidepods
@Absolut5
@Dean@VanDoc

To name a few that have high regard on the forum..

I've actually just had windows, insulation and carpeting done by camperversions in Darwen. Was all done very professionally. Good quality work. Both times I've been to the workshop they have had a few conversions ongoing so it was good to see the workmanship and finished product.
I'm happy with the work done on mine and I certainly would recommend them but there are lots of places around. Father in law got his as a full conversion from leisuredrive (nr Preston I think). He loves what he has.

Definitely have a good look on the forum and try to visit a few places. The people on here have plenty of good advice.

Lwb all the way. Have a look at the media files you will find my whole van conversion.
I would only go with a recommended convertor with a proper website etc....

Welcome to the forum btw... need to ask anything just pm me

Anytime

I'd say lwb any day over swb.. Parking you can get used to, extra room can't easily be added (awning).. Park a swb and lwb next to each other.. Lwb not much longer outside.. 40cm, but inside difference in huge!

Thanks...I've had a look at leisuredrive and they tend to look a bit more caravanny inside. The other place I looked was Teahupoo, their vans look the part...they have a long waiting list as they can only do one van at a time...but their warranty is only 6 months, which doesn't fill me with confidence, and although the guy there has said that they will always sort issues regardless, I would like the comfort of a decent warranty on the conversion. Camperversions give a 3 year warranty, they have a long order book, but they can turn them out quicker (this is what I'm told). It's such a vast amount of money to spend.

I like the idea of the extra space in a LWB, especially after having a big caravan, but the parking is an issue!!!

I'd advise on an extended test drive or hire a lwb for the day. Just park it have a coffee, have a drive etc, but get in and out and have a break as each time you come back to it, your mind is refreshed, and is better, if you just get in and drive it your mind doesn't relax..

Thanks...I've had a look at leisuredrive and they tend to look a bit more caravanny inside. The other place I looked was Teahupoo, their vans look the part...they have a long waiting list as they can only do one van at a time...but their warranty is only 6 months, which doesn't fill me with confidence, and although the guy there has said that they will always sort issues regardless, I would like the comfort of a decent warranty on the conversion. Camperversions give a 3 year warranty, they have a long order book, but they can turn them out quicker (this is what I'm told). It's such a vast amount of money to spend.

I like the idea of the extra space in a LWB, especially after having a big caravan, but the parking is an issue!!!

If you add a rear view camera to your list that'll solve the issue with parking. You'll soon get used to the size and length.

Sorry to hear of your loss and Welcome along I prefer SWB but then that is all you get with a Cali. Have a look at the other companies before jumping in but I presume this is the place you looked at The home of the VW T5 campervan - Welcome to camper_versions. They look quite decent. I think for you a SWB would be better as it is easier to drive and handle and at least you can park it. look around a supermarket carpark and see how far a LWB sticks out. Don't forget you can always add an awning or drive away tent for more living space

Lwb all the way. Have a look at the media files you will find my whole van conversion.
I would only go with a recommended convertor with a proper website etc....

Welcome to the forum btw... need to ask anything just pm me

Anytime

Your furniture is the same as the Teahupoo furniture, which looked really solid and seemed to provide loads of space. The camperversions furniture is curvy and doesn't seem to have the same storage space...I'd go with the Teahupoo one if it weren't for the short warranty period...it's totally put me off.

Sorry to hear of your loss and Welcome along I prefer SWB but then that is all you get with a Cali. Have a look at the other companies before jumping in but I presume this is the place you looked at The home of the VW T5 campervan - Welcome to camper_versions. They look quite decent. I think for you a SWB would be better as it is easier to drive and handle and at least you can park it. look around a supermarket carpark and see how far a LWB sticks out. Don't forget you can always add an awning or drive away tent for more living space

Yes...that's the one...their website is rubbish with all those stupid colours on the photos...facebook page is better. The chap who owns it lives round the corner from me and seems quite accomodating...

If you have already considered the lwb for space inside, its worth making sure before jumping, as a lot of people manage fine, and the space inside is really transformative and useful on a grey day .
Have a shufty at some inside pics of the lwb furniture.. If you decide on a swb, then at least you will know you couldn't get on with the lwb, but you need to get your own head round this choice.. Its easy to follow the crowd, but only you know what you will find comfortable...

Hi and welcome :thumbsup:
If your priority is for best camping vehicle then I think LWB wins.
If you want a bit more practicality on a day to day basis then we went SWB.
Whichever you pick, there will be times when you wish you had the other.... ;)

Welcome @Victoria Alletson, welcome to the group, sorry about the sad circumstances that have brought you to us, but getting a van is a really good way forward to get all the benefits of camping with so much more thrown in. As a SWB owner that I have a kombi bed in the back of, and the main camping environment provided by a drive away awning; if you are planning a full camper conversion, then definately a LWB would be better as those extra 12" make all the difference. Of course everything is a trade-off making it a bit of a bigger bugger to park at the supermarket.

Welcome to the group. Not quite the same as going from a caravan to a campervan but we (2 adults, 1 12 year old and 2 dogs) went from a very large tent to a SWB (Hillside Leisure Birchover) last October and are managing very well with it - we love it and the space is adequate for us. If you feel more space is required then, as already suggested, there is always the option of an awning. If you want a fixed toilet and/or shower then you need to go for a LWB as the SWB would be too small but these are not requirements for us as we tend to use sites rather than wild camp, indeed, if we were after such things we would have been looking at larger coach built motorhomes rather than a VW T6 camper.

Happy hunting!

....also, whichever you choose, make sure you get the right base van - we went for T30 150 DSG Highline Panel Van which is sufficient but when fully loaded with all of our gear, water, fuel, etc., plus bikes and trailer we are only just below the 3000kg weight limit - if we had gone for the LWB equivalent we would have more space to fill with the conversion/extra gear we could take and would most probably be over the limit - if ordering again I would still be going for a SWB but be getting a T32, possibly with 4 motion.

If you add a rear view camera to your list that'll solve the issue with parking. You'll soon get used to the size and length.
@Victoria Alletson, welcome to the Forum and I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your husband and father to your son. I understand your reluctance to take on towing a caravan yet still wanting the freedom that the caravan gave you as a family. I agree with those that suggest the LWB T6 as the extra space is invaluable when the weather is unkind and also gives room for extra storage.

I would also recommend that you DON'T have H4 headlights and opt for the H7s or, if funds permit, the LED headlights. I would commend the rear LED lights as this gives twin reversing lights to go with rear sensors and reversing camera. The Highline trim level gives good value but whether you should opt for the media navigation pack is debatable as a TomTom Sat nav may suit you better - but that's a personal choice.

Good luck with sorting out the many decisions that are ahead in finalising your van's spec. Rest assured that there are loads of nice peeps on the T6 Forum who have trodden the same path, either doing it all themselves or going to a conversion firm or a mix thereof, who will be only too happy to advise and assist if or when asked as you may have noticed quite quickly.

Thanks everyone...there are too many choices! Making decisions on my own is what I've found the most difficult!

I'm still undecided about the size of the van. I had no idea really about the different options T30/32 etc...I will have to talk to my conversion man about that as he is sourcing the vehicle for me. I like the thought of the extra cupboard but I was planning on getting a drive away awning for longer trips. What are people's thoughts on having a sun canopy attached, a fiamma one for instance, would that be more practical for short trips? You can always attach a drive away to them...but does it spoil the look of the van?

I assume @T6 Dave's Dad, that I'll have to have whatever lights come on the van as I'm not ordering brand new...I'll add that to my options list though...which seems to be getting longer since I joined this forum! Oh well...it's only money.

Another thing...as I'm getting a used panel van (I've instructed no older than 2016) does the amount of miles really matter...I've asked for less than 20k miles but this obviously pushes the cost of the base van up a good few thousand...do they have a good running record if properly maintained?

Cheers

Vx

Back