Another newbie...and totally green!

Put a holding deposit on anything you want to look at, that's what I did, means can't be sold until you've looked at it, if not liked refunded without issue..

Good deals get snapped up FAST with the '6

Now going for the T30 highline...it will be with the converter on Wednesday hopefully, so I will go and have a look and a test drive and then hopefully it will be all systems go.

So will then be team white...which is what we originally wanted.

It's SWB...I figure that we'll have an awning and everything will be dumped out of the van and into that...the extra cupboard that I would gain with a LWB would be either full of stuff that I will then drive around with, or stuff that will be dumped in the awning and therefore an empty cupboard. I know there is just more 'space' around with a LWB, but I'm sure we'll manage...there's only me and the child (and the dog sometimes).

Will have to choose all the interior colours when we go on Wednesday too...so that's exciting. We were thinking white furniture with grey top, pale grey leather seats with a lime green piping and inserts...but then the child came home and wants to do it all union jack...she's a nutter...she wants a union jack on the roof.

By the way, you can convert barn doors to a tailgate. Nice colour in my opinion.

It's all systems go! I've driven the van (eeek!), its like new inside. Its going back to VW to have a small dent repaired today then the conversion starts in a couple of weeks. I've to part with a large chunk of cash now, so feeling a bit sick.

It's all systems go! I've driven the van (eeek!), its like new inside. Its going back to VW to have a small dent repaired today then the conversion starts in a couple of weeks. I've to part with a large chunk of cash now, so feeling a bit sick.
But it's only money @Victoria Alletson and you can only count it or spend it on something that you really like. Just think of the pleasure that you and your daughter will derive way into the future from spending on the purchase and conversion of the van :D:D:):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

It's SWB...I figure that we'll have an awning and everything will be dumped out of the van and into that...the extra cupboard that I would gain with a LWB would be either full of stuff that I will then drive around with, or stuff that will be dumped in the awning and therefore an empty cupboard. I know there is just more 'space' around with a LWB, but I'm sure we'll manage...there's only me and the child (and the dog sometimes).

Will have to choose all the interior colours when we go on Wednesday too...so that's exciting. We were thinking white furniture with grey top, pale grey leather seats with a lime green piping and inserts...but then the child came home and wants to do it all union jack...she's a nutter...she wants a union jack on the roof.
You could always do what I did hand have a Roadrunner on your roof
IMG_0706a.jpg

Seriously have what you like, don't let the daughter rule what she would like. Done the Union Jack thing on Mini and if you go that way needs to be subtle not in your face

Beware - nutters can ruin anything nice (the chav look). Hopefully you will enjoy the van for a long time and the daughter will one day ask "why did you have a Union Jack on the roof" and leave you dumbfounded :cry:. You are paying the piper so you call the tune. Discussion with children is fine, making big decisions is for adults - she only gets her way if it's your way too :D.

Love the road runner...better not show her that! She's always been involved in making decisions with us...I believe it gives her vital skills going forward in life, we discuss things and decide things together. Now it's just me and her, it helps to have her as a sounding board...one of the worst things about being on your own is having no-one to discuss decisions with. I also want her to be a huge part of this as it's something that we are doing together...her views are important and I want her to enjoy the experience and be excited about it - she won't be if she doesn't feel like she has an input. Having said that, we are not having a union jack theme, she can have union jack bedding if she wants, but that's as far as it goes. We've gone with the original plan of white furniture with pale grey top, pale grey seats with some lime green trim - outside is white, with black wheels and side bars...I think it will look nice and calm, modern, not gaudy...hopefully anyway.

My husband was very 'careful' with money (being kind there...he was a tight ass), so spending any large amount makes me feel a little bit guilty...I also feel a little bit that we are profiting from his death...but I'm 100% sure he would want us to carry on camping as it were and for now, this is the way we do it.

So...now I'm off to buy bits and bobs for it...

Good post @Victoria Alletson and nice that your daughter is also a friend and buddy and that she is mature enough for you to value her as a sounding board - it sounds as though you have a great relationship and respect for each other. It is always nicer and more productive if teaching and development occurs through guidance and nurturing.

Love the road runner...better not show her that! She's always been involved in making decisions with us...I believe it gives her vital skills going forward in life, we discuss things and decide things together. Now it's just me and her, it helps to have her as a sounding board...one of the worst things about being on your own is having no-one to discuss decisions with. I also want her to be a huge part of this as it's something that we are doing together...her views are important and I want her to enjoy the experience and be excited about it - she won't be if she doesn't feel like she has an input. Having said that, we are not having a union jack theme, she can have union jack bedding if she wants, but that's as far as it goes. We've gone with the original plan of white furniture with pale grey top, pale grey seats with some lime green trim - outside is white, with black wheels and side bars...I think it will look nice and calm, modern, not gaudy...hopefully anyway.

My husband was very 'careful' with money (being kind there...he was a tight ass), so spending any large amount makes me feel a little bit guilty...I also feel a little bit that we are profiting from his death...but I'm 100% sure he would want us to carry on camping as it were and for now, this is the way we do it.

So...now I'm off to buy bits and bobs for it...
I'm sure he is smiling on you, as you embark in what will be a brand new chapter, bringing brand new friends. Although no doubt he's got the abacus out, head in hands, shouting WTF! But you go girl.

Great thread and so helpful for someone in a pretty similar position.... thanks for all the great insights !

Quick question - who did you go with in the end for the conversion? Camper_versions? thanks

Last edited:
Back