Another newbie...and totally green!

This is all good info as I've been more concerned with the aesthetics of it rather than the mechanics...
Sorry we've hijacked your thread a bit with the stuff on fly screens but this is what makes this forum so good - I've fixed a problem without realising the fix was already to hand!!

Thanks everyone...there are too many choices! Making decisions on my own is what I've found the most difficult!

I'm still undecided about the size of the van. I had no idea really about the different options T30/32 etc...I will have to talk to my conversion man about that as he is sourcing the vehicle for me. I like the thought of the extra cupboard but I was planning on getting a drive away awning for longer trips. What are people's thoughts on having a sun canopy attached, a fiamma one for instance, would that be more practical for short trips? You can always attach a drive away to them...but does it spoil the look of the van?

I assume @T6 Dave's Dad, that I'll have to have whatever lights come on the van as I'm not ordering brand new...I'll add that to my options list though...which seems to be getting longer since I joined this forum! Oh well...it's only money.

Another thing...as I'm getting a used panel van (I've instructed no older than 2016) does the amount of miles really matter...I've asked for less than 20k miles but this obviously pushes the cost of the base van up a good few thousand...do they have a good running record if properly maintained?

Cheers

Vx

Engine choice will have an impact on what is available - if you want an EU6 to potentially provide a bit more longevity in the face of diesel sanctions coming, other than the lower powered 84/102 units, you couldn't order a panel van with a higher powered EU6 engine (150/204) until May last year with none shipping much before September. Personally, I think the 84/102 are a bit low power for a camper which will spend its life running around close to the top end of its allowable weight.

I'd go for the 204 due to twoguns experiences with the 150, even though that was a DSG, I'd play it safe..

I'd go for the 204 due to twoguns experiences with the 150, even though that was a DSG, I'd play it safe..
I'm still hoping that the problems a few are reporting relate to the minority rather than majority of these DSG 150s!!

Yeah, know what you mean, just if this is going to be a second user one, it's something to be very aware of.... Especially with no fix on the immediate horizon..

You're baffling me with technical bumf now chaps...just tell me what base van I need...I'm not a total girl, but I'm still a girl!

You're baffling me with technical bumf now chaps...just tell me what base van I need...I'm not a total girl, but I'm still a girl!
Mine was a 150Dsg T30 Panel Van - very happy with it but there have been a few people reporting issues that VW have not been able to fix yet.

Ok, have a gander at this thread.. In particular twoguns contributions.. This is what is the worry on the 150 auto (DSG), the same engine is fitted to the manual, ergo could possibly have the same issues, hence I'd avoid as buying it second user.. The 102 engine is a bit underpowered for a camper loaded up with gear and multi occupancy.. Leaving you with the 204 engine. As a sensible safe bet in the euro 6 adblue engine, which is the latest emissions system, so most up to date. If you go for a non adblue system, it's the older euro 5 emissions, but safer bet on reliability..

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/multiple-engine-management-faults.1797/

No easy way to explain.. You have to be aware of the potential issues with a 150

The 140 (older engine) has more than enough power for every day use, reasonable mpg, less reliability issues as its been around longer so most issues have come to light already and once out of warranty is a simpler unit to work on so should keep any repair costs down should they arise in the future. Plus as it's not the latest engine should be slightly cheaper to buy now.

I would definitely try to get a Highline model as you get a few extras as standard, heated windscreen, air con and probably more but not 100% sure on panel van specs.

Single passenger seat is a lot more comfortable for passengers if you don't need the double, again not sure if this available on the panel van.

Folding mirrors was a must for me which are used every time I park.

Sat nav is usable but not essential as we all have phones now with maps.

A lot is discussed about some colours holding there money more than others, but as your spending money on a conversion you probably won't be selling in the near future so make sure you get a colour you like!

Lwb/Swb personal choice but obviously Swb has been tried and tested with the California's and works.

I was told it's more difficult to convert if its twin sliding doors in the back, but not sure about this.

I'm guessing you won't be claiming the Vat back so try to find a van where there is no vat to pay, that will keep your initial cost down, few and far between but they are out there.

So in my opinion(some will disagree) T30/32 140 Highline, folding mirrors in your favourite colour and no Vat.

Good Luck!!

I actually ordered the 140 DSG T30 Highline but it was changed by VW to fit in with the August 16 deadline for supplying a Euro 5 engine - mixed feelings but, with the demonisation of diesel, I think in the long run I will be happier having a Euro 6 rather than Euro 5.

The difference between a T30 & T32 is 2 tons. The T30 is a 3 ton Van and the T32 3.2 ton least that is what I was told. You have one 11 yeaar old lad who no doubt can help you out at the campsite. I have seen many young ladies at Foorest Fields on their own with a child. The last one had a young baby in her arms and managed to get a motordome up on her Kombi. I have seen a few women drive in with Kombis that were converted so it seems to be the van of choice. Not sure a panel van is the way to go as they get hot inside unless your conerter is putting in windows for you. I'd rather have a manual that auto as I feel iyt is more to go wrong. Might be worth looking a few vans in a Dealer and see what you get , it should help you make up your mind a bit more or have a look at our photo gallery and see the different ones on there.

Back