Tailgate bike rack dimensions from tailgate (Quasimodo and Kylie) for clearance whilst towing?

Hi all.
We have recently purchased a VW T6 SWB camper with a tailgate (we were previously of the T25 brigade for many years, so are delighted to be back to van life!).
I am looking for some advice if any of you good people could assist please?

However, we plan to buy a rear mounted bike rack, and are considering either the version 1/Quasimodo or the version 2/Kylie. We would consider other options too, but it would need to hold 4 bikes and not be towbar mounted. However, we have a caravan which we plan to tow too, whilst the rack is in use. It's quite an old van, so it has the sloping front, which many of the newer ones don't, so I'm hopeful this will help with clearance when turning.
We cannot find anywhere online any accurate dimensions for how far from the back of the tailgate the bike rack protrudes. I was considering being 'that nerdy bloke who came over and asked if he could inspect my rack!' but didn't think that would go down too well, or i'd get a slap! So.... I wondered if anybody on here would be so kind as to measure how far on a horizontal from the back of the tailgate the bottom of the bike rack reaches, and how far up vertically from the road this point reaches too please?
I could do with it for both of the racks (Quasimodo and Kylie) so that i can work out which will give me the most clearance.

Also, is anybody already doing this? I did speak to a guy on a campsite last year who used his for towing a caravan and had the bike rack laden too, and didn't seem to have an issue hence perhaps why there isn't much written about it, but the last thing i want to do is take a turn with it on and pierce the caravan front windows and buckle the rack in the process!
I reckon for the majority of towing it should be fine, and we've a mover on the caravan for pitching should we need it, so it's not like we'll need to reach any acute angles!

Thanks for reading, and I have to say what a great forum this is, so many nice people and such a wealth of experience and help. Great community!
Thanks,
Adam and Lindsay

Quasimodo vs Kylie.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I tow our caravan with the version 1 rack with 4 bikes loaded:
1675363917131.jpeg
There are two points that I noted:
1. What a pain in the arse it is to open the tailgate!
2. Connecting and disconnecting the caravan is a little back breaking. (This may just be me with a dodgy neck!)

I was initially worried that the bikes could touch the van, but the caravan would need to be at a ridiculous angle to the van for it to be an issue. I think my caravan may have a longer A-frame than is standard, but it is fairly flat at the front, so can't see you having an problem.

I would need to literally jack knife the caravan for it to be a problem!

I tow our caravan with the version 1 rack with 4 bikes loaded:
View attachment 186604
There are two points that I noted:
1. What a pain in the arse it is to open the tailgate!
2. Connecting and disconnecting the caravan is a little back breaking. (This may just be me with a dodgy neck!)

I was initially worried that the bikes could touch the van, but the caravan would need to be at a ridiculous angle to the van for it to be an issue. I think my caravan may have a longer A-frame than is standard, but it is fairly flat at the front, so can't see you having an problem.

I would need to literally jack knife the caravan for it to be a problem!
Brilliant, thanks so much for this! I figured that might be the case but as i said, having not seen or read anything about it, thought it best to check. We've been towing for years, so i doubt a jack knife is likely anyway! Agreed, i don't imagine it's much fun taking everything off to open the tailgate - but we used to have to do that to get to the engine bay on the T25, and that was a regular occurrence! So i can live with that!

Lovely outfit by the way!
Since you've replied, it has also occurred to me, so i may as well ask... is your van a fully kitted out camper? it is presumably lowered looking at the photos? I just wondered if you had experienced any issues with the hitch height at all, what with the extra weight of the laden van plus the bike rack and bikes? I have a T30 and was considering whether or not i need to upgrade the rear suspension. I am always very careful with the caravan loading to ensure it's not exceeding the nose weight. I'm guessing you haven't had any issues with handling despite the added weight?

Thanks again for the reply.

Adam and Lindsay

Mines a T30 on STX coilovers. It is fully converted with a heavy conversion.

That photo is taken on our way on a 5 week French gallivant with 3 kids and the van loaded to the rafters. (My posh bike is in the caravan!;))

This Transporter replaced a Landrover Disco 4 which never let me down and was undoubtedly the best towing vehicle..... ever!

I felt that I needed to get rid of the Disco as it had towed boats for over 70k miles (many just under over 3.5 tons) and had a total of 150k on the clock. So i sold it as I was sure it must die soon and didn't consider JLR to offer a worthy replacement!

My company doesn't tow boats so much any more and I considered the T6.1 capable for my own requirements to tow my caravan. The van is lowered to allow it to get under 2m height barrier and I was initially worried about towing with it. I have to say that it is great. No issues other than poor traction on wet grass.

It may be no Disco 4, but stability, stopping and general road manners are difficult to fault and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the van is at towing. Now my kids are getting too old to share a caravan with us and the van has provided flexibility with sleeping arrangements and is versatile for long days away from wherever we have set up our base camp.

I also towed my J80 sailing boat with the van and it was perfectly composed and capable. (Fully laden this was just under 2.5 tons and van laden with crew and kit.)

I didn't go 4 Motion for several reasons. (Cost, fuel economy, complexity and the inability to have underslung water tanks.) I sort of regret this, but after fitting chunky tyres and wheels for the winter, this has eased (but not eliminated) the problem of lack of traction on grass:
1675373069313.jpeg

In response to your query on hitch height. The hitch height is very slightly too low for my Adria caravan. Our old caravan (Elddis Crusader Tempest) was lower to the ground and the hitch height was slightly lower. (In fact a bit too low for the Disco) This would have been perfect for my van.

I now take a small about of care to load the caravan evenly and the slightly low hitch doesn't seem to have caused me any issues.

I’ve got the version 1 rack, it measures 84cm from the tailgate, or about 76cm out from the bumper. Height from the ground at the back of the rack is 125cm.

Mines a T30 on STX coilovers. It is fully converted with a heavy conversion.

That photo is taken on our way on a 5 week French gallivant with 3 kids and the van loaded to the rafters. (My posh bike is in the caravan!;))

This Transporter replaced a Landrover Disco 4 which never let me down and was undoubtedly the best towing vehicle..... ever!

I felt that I needed to get rid of the Disco as it had towed boats for over 70k miles (many just under over 3.5 tons) and had a total of 150k on the clock. So i sold it as I was sure it must die soon and didn't consider JLR to offer a worthy replacement!

My company doesn't tow boats so much any more and I considered the T6.1 capable for my own requirements to tow my caravan. The van is lowered to allow it to get under 2m height barrier and I was initially worried about towing with it. I have to say that it is great. No issues other than poor traction on wet grass.

It may be no Disco 4, but stability, stopping and general road manners are difficult to fault and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the van is at towing. Now my kids are getting too old to share a caravan with us and the van has provided flexibility with sleeping arrangements and is versatile for long days away from wherever we have set up our base camp.

I also towed my J80 sailing boat with the van and it was perfectly composed and capable. (Fully laden this was just under 2.5 tons and van laden with crew and kit.)

I didn't go 4 Motion for several reasons. (Cost, fuel economy, complexity and the inability to have underslung water tanks.) I sort of regret this, but after fitting chunky tyres and wheels for the winter, this has eased (but not eliminated) the problem of lack of traction on grass:
View attachment 186621

In response to your query on hitch height. The hitch height is very slightly too low for my Adria caravan. Our old caravan (Elddis Crusader Tempest) was lower to the ground and the hitch height was slightly lower. (In fact a bit too low for the Disco) This would have been perfect for my van.

I now take a small about of care to load the caravan evenly and the slightly low hitch doesn't seem to have caused me any issues.
Thanks very much for this, all really helpful. Much appreciated.
Adam and Lindsay

I’ve got the version 1 rack, it measures 84cm from the tailgate, or about 76cm out from the bumper. Height from the ground at the back of the rack is 125cm.
Perfect thank you very much! Just for a comparison, if anybody has the same for 'version 2', that would be great. Though looking at it, Version 1 as shorter tracks to carry the bike wheels, so this will protrude less when turning, so it looks like version 1 will be the best suited for our use.
Thank you!
Adam and Lindsay

Perfect thank you very much! Just for a comparison, if anybody has the same for 'version 2', that would be great. Though looking at it, Version 1 as shorter tracks to carry the bike wheels, so this will protrude less when turning, so it looks like version 1 will be the best suited for our use.
Thank you!
Adam and Lindsay
188B4496-1013-4426-95BE-707C64F7B6D5.jpegI can show you this. I don’t have any measurements though so I’m not sure it helps

I have a version 2 - I can measure it in the morning for you

Thanks so much for this and for all replies. Just to clarify should anyone else ever have this question come up...

I mocked up the version 1 rack from those dimensions with a few pieces of timber and made it so i could pivot it as if the caravan was hitched on the towbar turning. The short piece at the bottom represents the distance from the rear of the van to the towball centre. The upright is the van, the horizontal is 84cm (van tailgate to end of rack) which sits at 125cm off the ground. I cut a length at 140cm (estimating length of one bike rail) and even when pivoted to a jack knife position it adequately clears the caravan front. I say adequately, i'd prefer more clearance, but clear is clear after all. Our caravan is a Lunar so not a continental caravan with a longer A frame. Well pleased it fits! Didnt want to spend all that on a rack and it not fit. Much appreciated!

Screenshot_20230212-220514_Gallery.jpg

Just to add to this for anyone searching - we've had our T6 over a year now and have used the bike rack lots and towed our caravan quite a bit too - but not both at the same time until this week!

And ... the verdict is .... it works!

PXL_20230528_093320971.jpg

Rack is a Thule Wanderway (same as the Quasimodo VW I think). Bikes are all pretty much adult size. Caravan has a fairly short a frame. Tested out tightest possible forward turns while going over bumpy ground on the campsite and all was well. Guess if you jack-knifed it in reverse while going up a slope it would get closer but I still think it would miss.

All the same, it's close enough that you can read all the confirmations you like on the internet that it works, until you try it you probably won't believe it!

Back