Another newbie...and totally green!

Wow...thats quite a trek. He's a lovely chap...think he finds me a bit high maintenance, I'm always ringing or emailing...mainly because of something someone on here has posted...I'm going to have to go and see him about the flippin' wheels now!

Too right !

Am late to start looking I know but unexpectedly have the summer off and want to get one by the start of August at the very latest. Was looking at some already converted and then saw them.... and am now keen on my own conversion time permitting. Clearly need to get my finger out and get decisions made asap now

He's pretty quick...I got my van last week (he found it) and I should have it fully converted by 7th July.

Great thread and so helpful for someone in a pretty similar position.... thanks for all the great insights !

Quick question - who did you go with in the end for the conversion? Camper_versions? thanks
Welcome to the Forum @AnneS where you will find lots of lovely peeps with lots of knowledge who are only too willing to help and advise as you have already noted.

Jump in where you need to and remember that the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask as you may never know the answer. Some questions may have been asked many times but someone will either give you the answer or point you to a discussion area or thread where you can find an answer and pointers or guides around that answer you are looking for.

Enjoy your time here and have a good look at the various forums and some of the subject threads that interest you.

Well...I've got a van! It's a T30 trendline 102 BMT (wanted 140 really, but might get it remapped...I don't really know what that means, but hey ho) Reflex Silver Metallic, Climatic cab air conditioning system (semi-automatic), Tailgate without window, Tailgate lock with electric locking / release via remote, Full wheel trims for 16-inch wheels, Armrest for driver seat, Seat trim covers in Simora fabric, Cruise Control (control stalk), DAB Digital radio reception, Park distance control; acoustic warning signal for obstacles in the rear, Body-coloured wing mirrors and door handles, Chrome-plated strip on air intake of charge air cooler, Body coloured bumpers, Dimmable Driver alert with Multi-function display plus, Driver alert system, Composition colour radio; 5" touch screen, USB interface, 4 speakers, Full bulkhead without window including 8 lashing rings for load restraint...for £15995 + vat, it's got just short of 12k miles.

I looked at a few highlines, but this has everything I need at a cheaper price...I can now spend that extra on bits and bobs...I might have to change the steering wheel...there's nothing worse than a plastic steering wheel!!! I've not seen it (eek), but have assurances from the sales chap (gullible female that I am), that it is free from dents and scratches, is in very good nick and still has it's manufacturers warranty. I've never driven a bloody van before...but its a SWB, so I should be ok. I know I toyed with the idea of the LWB, but this just seemed to jump out at me and say 'Buy me'...I find impulse purchases are always the best!

So...what do you all think? (might I regret that question?)

Vx
Sounds like a great deal.... where did you source it from ? Am now on the hunt....!

So - went to see Graham at Camper_versions. Really impressed... TOO impressed as not sure I can afford all I want (and I started out saying I just wanted the most basic thing possible o_O).

Lots of thinking to be done this weekend. Looking forward to your updates though @Victoria Alletson !

PS gorgeous area - was blown away by the countryside :)

Ha ha @AnneS ...just you wait...you'll read a post on here and then ring Graham up...then you'll see something on Pinterest and ring Graham up...and before you know it, you're way over your initial 'budget' and Graham will be laughing all the way to the bank...

There is some lovely countryside round about, but like anywhere, it has its share of crapholes too!

So are you committed? Is he searching for you a van? What have you gone for?

So - went to see Graham at Camper_versions. Really impressed... TOO impressed as not sure I can afford all I want (and I started out saying I just wanted the most basic thing possible o_O).

Lots of thinking to be done this weekend. Looking forward to your updates though @Victoria Alletson !

PS gorgeous area - was blown away by the countryside :)

That is the problem you can see lots and they will show you the most expencive version they have to make you think that is what I want. Best thing to do is is sit down with a
brochure and look at the equipment and see what you need in the van start simple and work up. Check out a few converters websites and see what is on offer then you might be able to come up with waht you need.

That is the problem you can see lots and they will show you the most expencive version they have to make you think that is what I want. Best thing to do is is sit down with a
brochure and look at the equipment and see what you need in the van start simple and work up. Check out a few converters websites and see what is on offer then you might be able to come up with waht you need.
One of my biggest stumbling blocks is that I think I want a LWB and seem to be struggling to get a LWB donor van. A friend with a t4 has offered to lend me his for a couple of trips over the summer so I'm going to see how I get on with that and then make the decision. Which will hopefully give me the winter to source whatever size donor van I plump for !

View attachment 8180 View attachment 8179 View attachment 8179 View attachment 8178 Ok, not trying to suck eggs.. Here we go.. Small van, closed up with cooker going, needs to let moisture from the cooking out, and also carbon monoxide from the cooking.. Remember gas emits water vapour by default as well..

The caravan was a larger space, in the van you can also crack the front windows for overnight sleeping, and for this have a look at the Heko wind deflectors so that rain doesn't enter..

Here's some examples of sliding window temporary louvre for the cooking area..
Where can you get the louvre windows? Phil

Back