Fitting Karndean over existing vinyl flooring

gringo

Hi all,

Our camper came fitted with plain grey vinyl glued to 12mm ply. We would like to create a "herringbone" effect using Karndean parquet 3mm thick planks. Is it viable to simply glue the Karndean direct onto the existing lino? I'd lift the side door step and remove fold down bed/rear seats prior to installation but would leave the kitchen furniture in and just template round it.

The existing vinyl is that slightly textured anti-slip stuff but unfortunately don't know the name or manufacturer. Has anyone tried this and if so what glue would you recommend? Pics below of the idea I'm aiming for.

cheers

Ronnie

IMG_20221123_162042.jpg

IMG_20221124_161141.jpg

Hi all,

Our camper came fitted with plain grey vinyl glued to 12mm ply. We would like to create a "herringbone" effect using Karndean parquet 3mm thick planks. Is it viable to simply glue the Karndean direct onto the existing lino? I'd lift the side door step and remove fold down bed/rear seats prior to installation but would leave the kitchen furniture in and just template round it.

The existing vinyl is that slightly textured anti-slip stuff but unfortunately don't know the name or manufacturer. Has anyone tried this and if so what glue would you recommend? Pics below of the idea I'm aiming for.

cheers

Ronnie

View attachment 180183

View attachment 180184
If the altro is stuck down solid and not prone to movement, then personally I would go over it. I used epoxy with my Karndean flooring (over ply) as the flooring shops I spoke with said it would cope with extreme temperatures better.
DIYer here, but that’s my take on it. Good luck.

Back