That's not correct, the Michelin Cross Climates are all season, do have the 3PMSN on them and do meet European winter tyres regs, I think you're mixing them up with something else. I have the Cross Climates in 235/55/17 and have been very happy with them.
yep you are quite right, I saw the picture above and thought we were talking about LAT X.

Just picked up a s/hand set of Nokian Weatherproof on 18 ATS Temperament Alloys today, pick the van up next week so will post some pics once they are fitted. I know its kind of ar*e about face to have wheels and tyres but no van to put them on, however they were a bit of a bargain.

Chriscroft, I got the Nokians and they're fitted, thanks for the recco.
hopefully a slightly oversized tyre won't cause me issues.
it certainly is better on bad roads and looks much better

Cool, 40k+ miles of happy motoring ahead with this quality rubber (fingers crossed):thumbsup:

chriscroft

the Nokians are doing well so far, especially in this bad weather.
ride is smoother and the definitely look nicer.
I have 2 worries, does a tyre thats this much bigger (looks a lot bigger than turanza) strain the drive train differently etc? the vehicle feels a bit different?
also, without spacers the clearance inside the rearwheels to the wheel well looks very close, I probably have 25mm there, do you think this could rub when the suspension compresses?
as I said, everything feels good but having some anxiety about non-standard wheel and tyre size on this thing.
-all the while knowing people put some pretty unconventional wheels on vans,
about to drive to the south of France...

Alex

chriscroft

the Nokians are doing well so far, especially in this bad weather.
ride is smoother and the definitely look nicer.
I have 2 worries, does a tyre thats this much bigger (looks a lot bigger than turanza) strain the drive train differently etc? the vehicle feels a bit different?
also, without spacers the clearance inside the rearwheels to the wheel well looks very close, I probably have 25mm there, do you think this could rub when the suspension compresses?
as I said, everything feels good but having some anxiety about non-standard wheel and tyre size on this thing.
-all the while knowing people put some pretty unconventional wheels on vans,
about to drive to the south of France...

Alex
Hi Alex
So the tyre is around +3.3% rolling radius = the difference between doing 29mph compared to 30mph; I agree you can just notice it, but after a couple of weeks I forgot it. The rolling resistance or fuel economy rating of the tyre is also relevant - fuel rating "C" which is pretty good; If you where towing 2.5tonne and or getting close to the 5.3 tonnes gross weight (model dependant), up and down the alps on some poor / unmade roads; with a loaded roof rack which these vehicles will do, I might think stick to the standard size; but more from a drivability point of view. Are you DSG or Manual?, because with a manual you can always pick you own gear change points; which you could also do on a DSG, but it kinds of misses the point. I guess the greatest strain is setting off with 3.3% up gearing on the clutch loading, but a lot of clutch wear comes from poor driving practice.
Which engine variant do you have?
Don't think you will need wheel spacers (have you lowered the van at all?), with only an 12mm increase in radius = reduction in clearance, that is very unlikely to cause you any issues at all.
But I would fit 25mm spacers all round, just so it looks like a normal SUV type arrangement; as the T6 with 235 tyres tends to have a poorest stance with out them imo.
Enjoy you trip to South France in a lovely mile eating machine.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks chris
It’s a caravelle exec 205(?) automatic
It was second hand low mileage. I don’t think anything was done to it. When i got it it felt like driving a half empty toolbox down the road but I think it’s just cos I’m not used to it. Definately doesn’t look lowered and the springs etc are standard. It has these vw diamond alloys on it but I assume they have standard specs when it comes to offset etc.
I can’t find any scuffing in the wheel wells front or back so I assume I’m fine.
It was fully loaded with people and gear on the weekend driving back from West Country and seemed fine. Lower mpg than I was getting (I think) at low 30s, just sitting in cruise the whole time (love that acc)!
It’s reassuring that you think it’s only for super laden vehicles that the slightly larger wheel could be an issue. The engine sounds a bit different setting off or in stop start traffic but I’d only had it a couple of months so I’m probably not that used to it yet, plus a bit fearful of messing it up.

Thanks for advice

Alex

mine is 204BiTDI DSG VelExec 4 motion, so it is 20mm lower than a standard van, just like yours
Is yours a diesel?

remember when you are compare mpg; because your speedo is now reading 3.3% less; so are your mpg.
so when you are showing 30mpg, you are actually 31mpg etc etc

4 motion, is a box I could tick because we bought new (never done that before), we intend to keep it 12 years or more,
Ours doesn't do much work during the week, may be a small journey (10mile), and a 60mile journey. But come the weekend it could be any where in UK (ish) and parked in a muddy field; so when we leave on a Sunday afternoon it's nice to know we will not be waiting for a tow. Also we have a 24/7/365 business, and when the snow comes I have to get the staff in; with 3 staff shifts/day; last year we had snow for 5 days end of feb, and it was brilliant in the snow; virtually unstoppable in terms of lincolnshire snow.

It maybe costs 2mpg which is actually around 7% on economy; which over 12 years;13k iles/year; 30mpg = 5000 gallons; £6/gallon; £30k; and 7% of that is £2100 extra fuel. Ah thats OK I suppose :):):)

Hi Chaps, have you noticed better and smoother pull off with the Nokians? I am struggling in this cold weather with my TSI DSG 204 Caravelle with 17 turanza.
Mine tend to scrabble and bounce before we get traction, really hard to drive in the wet! I use mine a lot around the lanes in Bucks which have dreadful roads and potholes, also use it for mountain biking so off roading a lot! Got it stuck in the snow the other day when everyone else was fine!
With the Nokiens being a big bigger on diameter do you think it will void your insurance as you are not running stock tyres? or did you inform your insurance? Also was the tyre fitter happy to fit them not being stock size? Out of interest what did you get mileage wise out of the Turanza tyres? used to run DUNLOP SP9000 on my last Caravelle but i was lucky to get 15000 miles out of a set of those! Need to change the turanza soon!
cheers Tim

I've got 18 Nokian All Weather SUV on mine, not had the van long so didn't do that many miles on the standard 17's that came on it, however really pleased with the Nokians - I would not have been able to get out this week without them. I did let the insurance know about the change - not taking any risks.

Hi Chaps, have you noticed better and smoother pull off with the Nokians? I am struggling in this cold weather with my TSI DSG 204 Caravelle with 17 turanza.
Mine tend to scrabble and bounce before we get traction, really hard to drive in the wet! I use mine a lot around the lanes in Bucks which have dreadful roads and potholes, also use it for mountain biking so off roading a lot! Got it stuck in the snow the other day when everyone else was fine!
With the Nokiens being a big bigger on diameter do you think it will void your insurance as you are not running stock tyres? or did you inform your insurance? Also was the tyre fitter happy to fit them not being stock size? Out of interest what did you get mileage wise out of the Turanza tyres? used to run DUNLOP SP9000 on my last Caravelle but i was lucky to get 15000 miles out of a set of those! Need to change the turanza soon!
cheers Tim
The grip levels are very high on all problematic surfaces; I've played around with pressures, and I keep changing my mind. At 40psi I get a bit more edge ware, yet at 43psi i get more noise; so I think I will run them at 41psi, and still get 40k miles out of a set.
I spoke to my insurers, they weren't interested, no charge; but its still worth a quick email.
Brilliant tyre for a T6

I’m currently in the alps in “proper snow”,( we had a metre last weekend) we’ve crossed some lairy mountain passes when travelling between ski resorts. I’m running Pirelli carrier all seasons on my Devonports. Not Gucci or bling, but they do the business. We drove straight out of this, no drama. She’s a 4mot though:thumbsup:

DCAD4A2D-219D-4413-8A8E-D8E940520217.jpeg

Looking for some good all season 18s to use on some Amarok steelies.

I'm thinking 255/45s are about right but struggling with tyre choice. I wanted to go with Nokian all seasons but they dont seem to make them in the right size.

My van's a t32 4 motion so I think I need 103 load rating and I'd like all season for some light snow running as well as better muddy field grip.

Any recommendations?

I'm looking at 255/55/18's on Amarok banded steels, was considering the Bridgestone A005 Weather Controls, the 55's are a bit cheaper than the 45's

Been really chuffed with Hankook Ventus ST06's, good grip, comfort, noise and got nearly 20k miles on my T32 204 - swapped fronts to back at 10k, defo recommend. They were M+S rated too. Now trying some Nokian Weatherproof SUVs through the winter, will see how they go. Tyreleader have been my source for tyres for a while now, prices always as good as anywhere if not better.

I'm looking at 255/55/18's on Amarok banded steels, was considering the Bridgestone A005 Weather Controls, the 55's are a bit cheaper than the 45's

55s are kinda big. Gonna mess with gearing a bit too much for my tastes.

Best option I've found so far is the weather controls but in a 45, just not heard a lot on here about them.

Yeah, scratch the 55’s, someone put the wrong info on a picture so I was misled.
45’s it is unless you go down to 235

Back