Can i ask what the difference is between the CrossClimate + and the CrossClimate suv tyres? On the various tyre selling pages some recommend the + and others recommend the suv. My current tyres are 235/45/17 and the + come in that size, whereas the suv come in 235/55/17, my van isn't lowered so they should fit no issue. I have the 204 4motion.

It's my first winter with the velle, and i always had all seasons on my previous cars as it made such a difference. My tyres have 4mm(ish) remaining and i'm unsure whether to bin them off as they are and fit the crossclimates, so or get some winter wheels and utilise the 4mm next summer.

I did have my heart set on some black wheels with All Terrains but i've heard they are awful in the snow, and seeing as i live in a town and don't do much on fields i'd look a bit of a tit sliding up and down my road with monster truck tyres.

Any options appreciated.
235/45/17 is a very small tyre for a T6 and not standard at all, did you buy it with them on? What's the load rating?
Usually you cannot get the load rating you need in the standard climate+, but the 235/55/17 climate+ does have a 103 rating I think.
I would think the SUV spec tyre is most suited to a T6

I don't think all AT's are poor in cold/snow/ice plenty have the 3PMSN rating, and have been tested against a standard.
But if you have 4motion, you'll not need AT's other than looks; infact All-Season are better in all circumstances other than off road; I have Nokian weatherproof 235/60/17, and they are superb, and slightly better than the michelins in snow and off-road; but the michelins are slightly better in dry/summer conditions; which to me is not important to me, as I don't get close to the tyres limits.
My Choice would be to ditch the summer tyres and just run all-seasons winter&summer.
I currently run 17" wheels; but I'll move upto 18" soon; then my tyre choice will be:
Nokian 235/55/18 weatherproof SUV, or
General Grabber AT3 235/55/18
The two best solutions imo for a T6/T6 4mo.; particularly for my vehicle use

Take it from me...i have never run Winter tyres and so cant say anything about them BUT i do run General Grabber AT3s and have run these for over 300,00 miles on various vehicles and 30,000 on a 204 4motion. They are unstoppable in mud and snow. We had over a meter of snow late last and early this year and it never stopped the van going anywhere. Bear in mind i live up a 1 in 4 rough track 1400ft on a hill.
See my other posts on this matter.
Cheers.

I run Nokian WRA4 full winter tyres all year round. I spent a bit of time going through all the comparison tests when I bought them at first and the Nokians came out as a good compromise between cost and performance. I stayed away from the cheaper winter tyres as I think it’s false economy. What the tests showed is that the cheaper tyres were all good at one area, like snow grip or wet grip, but were pretty poor at other areas, whereas the more expensive tyres were consistently good across all the tests

I have just replaced the fronts at almost 19000 miles although one side still had about another 1.5mm to go. The rears are probably only half worn. Overall I’m pretty happy with them, although I have nothing to compare them to as they have been on since new

i bought a caravelle on 17s with turanzas
Live in Cambridgeshire down a very rough an potholed road.
I need to take a road trip to the alps and ideally want something good and safe for this trip that will also serve me well at home year round.
Tough is important as is trying to get a little more comfort over bumps. Low road noise appreciated.

Been looking at nokians in suv and the reccomended van configs
Also cross climates

235/55 17 103h

I’d love something that fills the wheel arch a touch more but know I can’t go above a 55 without messing up computer and cruise control

All input appreciated, suffering from choice paralysis and don’t want to spend all that money on something that in the end is no different to a turanza

Thanks

Useful info in this thread about slightly oversized Nokians and Cross Climates.

235/55/r17's Tyre Recommendation Please

Turanzas are definitely a summer tyre. Had them on an MPV. They were dire for traction in the snow.

The functionality of the cruise control won't be affected. But have a look and enter your tyre sizes on here to see the margin of error.

Will They Fit - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator

Indicated speed generally seems to be a bit optimistic with respect to true speed.

Thanks Dieseldonkey

I been looking at the thread you link to. Its very useful.
just can't be sure whether SUV tyres in a 60 XL over the factory specs 55 will give me much more in terms of comfort etc

Alex

Nokian Tyres / All Season SUV 4x4 / Nokian Weatherproof SUV - 235/60 R17 106H XL TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 69dB All Season - Four Season - All Weather - SUV/4x4 Tyres - 17" R17" - 235/60/17, 235/60R17

I cannot recommend the Nokian highly enough in 235/60/17 SUV spec.

Just done 100 miles in our our Vels today, and these tyres are as quiet and comfortable as the day we bought them.
They will beat many winter tyres in snow/ice conditions
They will our brake most summer tyres in the wet
They will take you off road
Ours have nearly 35k miles on them; and they are looking like 40k miles before changing (and I haven't even rotated them once, bad me:devil:), and they will still have 3mm+ on 75% of the centre of the tyre.
My Vel is fast (for a van); handles really well; really comfy and super safe in all conditions

The extra 10mm lift and side wall rubber all round is all good.

Fit some 25mm spacers all round, just for looks

And to top it all they are an absolute bargain at less than £120 each, divided by 40k miles.....Deal of the century:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks Criscroft
This is what I’d been looking at after your recco in the other thread.
Can you foresee any issues with onboard computer etc with a 60 vs 55 wheel beyond the speedo being a bit off?
Adapt cruise control etc.

Alex

I doubt it will affect you ACC at all.
It will affect you Speedo and mileage but the difference is barely noticeable.

Thanks Criscroft
This is what I’d been looking at after your recco in the other thread.
Can you foresee any issues with onboard computer etc with a 60 vs 55 wheel beyond the speedo being a bit off?
Adapt cruise control etc.

Alex
Absolutely zero issues, our speedo still reads fractional above actual speed, so again no issues.
If you are very sensitive you will just a feel a slight alteration in gearing, but after a few drives it is forgotten

I've got a set of VW Amarok wheels 18" in the shed, so when its time for me to change tyres I may go for 235/55/18, which are just the same outer size as 235/60/17; but it will defiantly be Nokian weatherproof SUV's again.
I'll only change for aesthetics reasons, and the wheels came of an Amarok we own (so I effectively got them zip); I will be very surprised if any aspect of the vehicle is improved by changing form 17'" to 18" Nokians.

100% thumbs up for 235/60/17's on a T6.

Hi @chriscroft . Do you have a any pictures of your Nokian ‘s on your van ? as I’m tempted with a set for my devonports when the vectors ware out .
Thanks

I'm running 235/55/17 Michelin Latitude Cross AT tyre, served me well.
IMG_3831.JPG

My thought process was:
I wanted slightly over sized tyres that has all-season (UK) weather 3PMSN; so for me it was an easy choice
Mine came with Goodyear all-season vector 4-season, I took them straight off, as it just looked too under rubbered imo.
Michelins are summer rubber, not all-season, don't have 3pmsn, don't meet European spec for winter tyres

But they are all 1st class rubber so you can't go very wrong; but I'm a very pleased with my choice, and it has nothing to do with price.

Most of the comparisons are for the car versions of these tyres, which are different; Also my needs are weighted slightly different to some aspects of the tests.
I wanted good off-road performance so carry the M&S logo which many all-seasons don't have, but the Nokian and Goodyears are both very good off-road for this kind of tyre.

My thought process was:
I wanted slightly over sized tyres that has all-season (UK) weather 3PMSN; so for me it was an easy choice
Mine came with Goodyear all-season vector 4-season, I took them straight off, as it just looked too under rubbered imo.
Michelins are summer rubber, not all-season, don't have 3pmsn, don't meet European spec for winter tyres

But they are all 1st class rubber so you can't go very wrong; but I'm a very pleased with my choice, and it has nothing to do with price.

Most of the comparisons are for the car versions of these tyres, which are different; Also my needs are weighted slightly different to some aspects of the tests.
I wanted good off-road performance so carry the M&S logo which many all-seasons don't have, but the Nokian and Goodyears are both very good off-road for this kind of tyre.
That's not correct, the Michelin Cross Climates are all season, do have the 3PMSN on them and do meet European winter tyres regs, I think you're mixing them up with something else. I have the Cross Climates in 235/55/17 and have been very happy with them.

Back