Multiple layers are always a good thing but the Ghost is my first as it covers a few bases.
It also depends on what you use the van for.
Visible deterrents are a good thing if they are intent on driving it away.

Multiple layers are always a good thing but the Ghost is my first as it covers a few bases.
It also depends on what you use the van for.
Visible deterrents are a good thing if they are intent on driving it away.
Our van is a camper, I will be using it daily for the usual shopping trips etc then out on a weekend/holidays as a camper.

I’m getting a ghost installed today. I’m hoping this will ensure it won’t vanish when my backs turned!

I guess the pedal lock performs the same function though for a lower cost but you do have to carry a big chunk of metal round.

A neighbour asked if I was going to get a security post when I got the van as campers were so nickable. My first thought was no of course not but now I’m thinking maybe a should of!

I’m getting a ghost installed today. I’m hoping this will ensure it won’t vanish when my backs turned!

I guess the pedal lock performs the same function though for a lower cost but you do have to carry a big chunk of metal round.

A neighbour asked if I was going to get a security post when I got the van as campers were so nickable. My first thought was no of course not but now I’m thinking maybe a should of!
I'd seen on another thread you were getting the ghost. My van will always be garaged when at home, usually with another car parked in front so not gonna bother with a post. Just don't want to be away from home and come back to find our new pride and joy gone

Yeah, it’s been a long wait for the ghost install due to covid! Thankfully it hasn’t been nicked in the meantime

What I like about the ghost is that they can get the keys but still not start it so good for home where they break in to get the keys and also good for camping/parking. It’s not 100% but will give a bit of reassurance

Yeah, it’s been a long wait for the ghost install due to covid! Thankfully it hasn’t been nicked in the meantime

What I like about the ghost is that they can get the keys but still not start it so good for home where they break in to get the keys and also good for camping/parking. It’s not 100% but will give a bit of reassurance
Its just the whole rremembering the sequence that gets me, especially when you first get it, how long do you think you will sit in the van before getting it right ha ha

Be interested to get your feedback on the installer Chris as I may get one at some point.

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

Its just the whole rremembering the sequence that gets me, especially when you first get it, how long do you think you will sit in the van before getting it right ha ha
I’m hoping it will become second nature. It doesn’t have to be a complicated code I guess, thinking of using the left hand steering wheel buttons to left the right free to turn the key. Not saying any more on that though ;)

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
Great thread, tyvm

I went Clifford alarm with anti jacking inc, similar to the ghost and a tracker connected to the alarm.

I have a Ghost but I also use a Disklok.
A Ghost will stop them driving the van away but it won’t stop them damaging the van breaking in.
That’s my reason for the Disklok, hopefully they see it before they do any damage to the van.
Same with the pedal lock, they won’t come across that until they’ve already broken into the van.

Our T6 camper is down at the storage yard at the moment. It has a wheel clamp, Disklok and pedal lock on it - about £450 all in.
If it is on our drive over night then it has the same 3 fitted.
If we go away, then we take the disklok and the pedal lock - they are a bit clunky, but are a very visible deterrent.

Pete

Agreed with the point on damage. I think if they are determined they will give it a go regardless. I’m still worried about all our valuables when away camping so will always be on my mind if I’m not sure about the security of the parking.

Now have ghost, was a very quick and easy install. Can recommend from that perspective, just need to see how I get on with using it. What was the code again???:oops:

I didn’t get any stickers for the window which I thought would be supplied as a visual deterrent but I’m not sure I would have used them anyway.

Also found out that the installer has been working throughout lockdown so phantoms excuse that the install was delayed by the installer not working seems to have been false!

Agreed with the point on damage. I think if they are determined they will give it a go regardless. I’m still worried about all our valuables when away camping so will always be on my mind if I’m not sure about the security of the parking.

Now have ghost, was a very quick and easy install. Can recommend from that perspective, just need to see how I get on with using it. What was the code again???:oops:

I didn’t get any stickers for the window which I thought would be supplied as a visual deterrent but I’m not sure I would have used them anyway.

Also found out that the installer has been working throughout lockdown so phantoms excuse that the install was delayed by the installer not working seems to have been false!
Glad you finally got it fitted, shame Ghost appeared not to be completely honest with you.
I think i will get a pedal and disklok to begin with and order ghost myself. Then hope thats sufficient otherwise maybe a tracker down the road at some point.

I have a Ghost but I also use a Disklok.
A Ghost will stop them driving the van away but it won’t stop them damaging the van breaking in.
That’s my reason for the Disklok, hopefully they see it before they do any damage to the van.
Same with the pedal lock, they won’t come across that until they’ve already broken into the van.
Hi
I've just acquired my first VW campervan and I'm also looking to do just this. My van has the basic vw factory immobiliser which I'm led to believe is a waste of time. So I agree that a visual deterrent and something to stop them moving it (other than a tow truck) seems the best option.

However, just to give peace of mind, if Ghost is installed, surely it means there's no need for a tracker to be added as well since Autowatch (and others) say it's pretty much unbreakable. The car won't be going anywhere according to them.

I also considered adding a kill switch (or two) as a chaeper option to Ghost. Anyone any thoughts on this?

TIA.

Hi
I've just acquired my first VW campervan and I'm also looking to do just this. My van has the basic vw factory immobiliser which I'm led to believe is a waste of time. So I agree that a visual deterrent and something to stop them moving it (other than a tow truck) seems the best option.

However, just to give peace of mind, if Ghost is installed, surely it means there's no need for a tracker to be added as well since Autowatch (and others) say it's pretty much unbreakable. The car won't be going anywhere according to them.

I also considered adding a kill switch (or two) as a chaeper option to Ghost. Anyone any thoughts on this?

TIA.

Tracker is useful if you want to track your vehicle - no matter how they take it - like on the back of a lorry. A ghost will stop someone stealing it by driving it away. Stop Lock, or similar, is a useful visual deterrent - if fitted properly over the wheel spokes. also consider cctv on front drive to cover the van....

some have hidden an old iPhone in their van that is permanently plugged in... some have hidden a Tile in their van...

do what makes you feel safe and have good insurance!

Hi

TIA.

Some insurance companies insist on a tracker fitted depending on the value of the vehicle...

You'll also get a discount with a tracker fitted providing its an S7 or S5, Thatcham Cat6, Cat5 equivalent... You are unlikely to get a discount for Ghost fitted although insurance companies are starting to wake up to the idea...

Thanks for the replies. I've got my insurance sorted and they didn't insist on a tracker however I mentioned that if I did get one fitted would they reduce my premium. They said that it wouldn't.

I've got my disklok so that's my visual deterrent.

I've been out chatting to a few garages this morning about security and tbh, I'm still a little unsure. Both said the disklok would be ample together with the factory installed immobiliser. One fella reckoned rerouting the OBD and installing a dummy in it's place or fitting a security safe over the OBD. Neither had heard of Ghost. One of the lads also reckoned that VWs are quite difficult to steal and Transits are a more likely target.

So, that currently leaves me with the factory immobiliser and a disklok. Do you reckon I should be ok with this and add an alarm or is a tracker a MUST?

Back