AdBlue top-up issue (merge)

more info on DPF & Adblue

With an overfilled adblue tank you will need to remove a lot more than 1 litre, try removing 5-10 litres.

I'd try removing more too. Mabe another 4l. I'm also fairly sure I've read somewhere on this forum that theres a process to follow after refilling the adblue to ensure it reads the correct level which may be worth a go.

Last edited:
If it showed 400 miles before a fill and you put 10l in, that should be sufficient.
After filling with AdBlue, turn ignition but don't start the engine - that should reset the reading. If you didn't do that, try it.
If you overfill the tank it causes a problem as the 'light' pings from top to bottom to gauge the amount. Please excuse my description but it works a bit like sonar. I'm sure more knowledgeable peeps could do better!
Hope you can get it sorted.

I’ve tried to syphon out more adblue but the syphon pipe gets stuck and only pulls up air now, from reading there is apparently a one way valve..does anyone know how I drain out more ? How do I access the adblue tank, what do I need to remove it or get better access to empty more out ?

Have driven down to Cornwall from lincolnshire today, about 6 weeks ago van a T6 was serviced, cam belt and water pump, I also asked them to top the add blu up which they did
Since then I’ve had a trip up to Scarborough and now to Cornwall.
Checked over last night tyres etc, ad blu said 6000 mile range, half way down it goes to 650 engine non start came on and it has now got down to 350 miles till shutdown, I’ve rung 3 dealers who I passed whilst coming down, all hopeless couldn’t book anything in till October.
I’m supposed to be in Cornwall for 8 nights then going back via Busfest but I’m more than 350 miles from home, I’ve checked the ad blu tank is full (incase they forgot) and it is.
I have my Carista with me but havnt tried it yet.
Anyone got any clues?

There is an undertray to remove. A few 8mm bolts and the some circular clips that you can unscrew with a pointy nose plyers or screwdriver. There is then a quick release hose clip that you can remove to drain the tank.

I suspect it is too full then.

Similar thread here:

Pete

As an update on the situation, I moved from north to south Cornwall today, called in at a garage but they couldn’t help, so decided just to carry on and see what happened, I had a bit of time to spare so did an extra 12 mile or so loop on the A30 between 2 roundabouts, sat with the cruise at 60, the countdown remained at 350 and then on the return leg all of a sudden reset itself to 6500 miles, which is now where it remains, so fingers crossed it was a temporary glitch.

I think what happens is that the level is measured by an ultrasonic sensor that's doing an average of the air gap above the fluid; hence why it takes time to update but also why "filling" it causes issues as you may fill to the point the sensor is covered and there is now no air gap it can see so it just seems the tank is empty.

I think what happens is that the level is measured by an ultrasonic sensor that's doing an average of the air gap above the fluid; hence why it takes time to update but also why "filling" it causes issues as you may fill to the point the sensor is covered and there is now no air gap it can see so it just seems the tank is empty.
Another excellent example of German engineering. ;)

My T6 used to do this. It was the sensor.

My T6.1 also did this recently and I assumed it was the sensor but it was the entire AdBlue pump (5 hours from home, stayed on A roads all the way home as recovery off the motorway is sketchy and needs a bigger truck apparently, the joys of having had this discussion several times.)

Top tip, get VW Assist, they can get it booked in to a dealership immediately not in a month's time. They don't actually assist tho, just recover or follow you. I don't even get them to do that now, just book it in. :rolleyes:

I’m reliably informed that even if the counter gets to zero you are ok…..until….. you switch off and then it won’t restart, I assume, but am not sure that this would need to be a manual key switch off rather than the stop/start system.

If you know it’s full I’d say just keep driving it and don’t let it ruin your Cornwall/Busfest trip…. then when you get home speak to @Dav-Tec and get the stupid thing deleted! :thumbsup:

Another excellent example of German engineering. ;)
Nothing wrong with the system, the problem is usually between the seat & the steering wheel. Most of the ad blue problems lately, seem to be caused by overfilling & not heeding the instructions on the MFD re. Quantity required.

Back