T6.1 2021 Discover Media Restart & WeConnect Primary User "Please Contact Customer Support" Issue - Solved!

secretK9agent

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Sharing if it helps anyone, after an appalling service with multiple VW dealers in area, VW Reading resolved but took 5 months.

Had two issues with my 2021 t6.1 (seems more common in this year).

- WeConnect (although connected to VW servers and SOS light green) would not allow the setting of Primary User, gave an error of "Contact Customer Service"

- Multiple restarts of Discover Media head unit / system

1. Opened a case with the WeConnect team. This remained open for the entire time and was absolutely no help, however, may help someone with some issues 0800 279 7508

2. Got all the updates done as should be, although restarts still happened a lot, dramatically better. WeConnect still had the same issue.
[Updates knocked out digital dash and rear speakers each time. VanHaven who did the Digi dash install (Darren in particular) extremely helpful each time walking VW through what to do with the coding, they had no clue]

3. Replaced the "5F" module. If I understood this correctly this is the infortainment system, not the screen as that is literally just a screen. This took a lot of battling with VW to do, on advice from Darren at VanHaven. This stopped the restarts completely. [Install of 5F knocked out digital dash and rear speakers again, Darren at VanHaven walked VW through what to do with the coding, they had no clue, even though they still had now been shown multiple times].

VW assured me this would fix the WeConnect as the SOS was showing green so didn't need replacing. It did not fix the WeConnect. I lost my composure quite significantly. At this point the Reading VW branch manager "Nick" and I had a chat in his office. Turns out Nick was an ex-engineer and the first person to actually logically listen and agree to fix.

4. SOS module changed. Strangely this was on recommendation from a sales lady at VW Reading who had "exact same issue with my SEAT, changed the infortainment and SOS and it fixed it"....WeConnect issue fixed!

Conclusion: All updates, 5F unit and SOS module appeared to need replacing.

Although it's a common recommendation to change the SOS if showing red light, in my case and that of the SEAT owner, our lights were green but still replacing resolved.

VW seriously need to retrain their franchise engineers / mechanics. Not all I'm sure, but the majority seem to have no clue with the new modules and software which in today's world is a serious part of vehicles.

Finally, I did not have to replace clocks back to originals, although I know some do.

Sharing if it helps

Last edited:
Thank you!!! I am having almost the exact same issue with my digital dash (also installed by VanHaven.. but totally not their fault).
VW dealer has just done software resets and updates... knocked out the digital dash (haven't checked the rear speakers yet :oops:).
My SOS light is also green.. but the van will not let me set a Primary User, and I have no online services..

Thank you!!! I am having almost the exact same issue with my digital dash (also installed by VanHaven.. but totally not their fault).
VW dealer has just done software resets and updates... knocked out the digital dash (haven't checked the rear speakers yet :oops:).
My SOS light is also green.. but the van will not let me set a Primary User, and I have no online services..
Let me know if you need more guidance. It does sound like your SOS needs to be changed.

I got Darrens number at VanHaven and VW Reading called him each time.

I also now need to be careful of future garage based updates as they will also knock out the dash / rear speakers. Over the air updates seem to be ok.

So bizarrely, having put the original analogue dash back in (just so the dealer is willing to continue the diagnostics) and having tried numerous times to set the Primary User on my van…. it finally worked!
However, whilst the annoying nag screen has now gone, the vans internet connection seems very hit and miss. I’ve had one journey with active traffic data showing on the nav screen… and it seems every other trip, the globe is greyed out, and I get nothing.
I’m thinking it might be a dodgy OCU.. but also wondering if the modem needs a hard reset.
Does anyone know what fuse to pull to power down the OCU? Any other recommendations?

So bizarrely, having put the original analogue dash back in (just so the dealer is willing to continue the diagnostics) and having tried numerous times to set the Primary User on my van…. it finally worked!
However, whilst the annoying nag screen has now gone, the vans internet connection seems very hit and miss. I’ve had one journey with active traffic data showing on the nav screen… and it seems every other trip, the globe is greyed out, and I get nothing.
I’m thinking it might be a dodgy OCU.. but also wondering if the modem needs a hard reset.
Does anyone know what fuse to pull to power down the OCU? Any other recommendations?
Sorry I don't know how to reset this. Non professional idea, could disconnecting the battery work if all else fails?

Hi, New to the Forum so having a look around and stumbled across this thread.

I too had this issue where I couldn't connect to primary user and main dealers and WeConnect customer support didn't know what to do. I then had a post on a facebook forum with someone telling me to have my keys recoded to sort the error, VW south Oxford tried to charge me but I argued and struck a deal "if it fixes the issue its a warranty repair, if it doesn't I pay" after they completed the recoding we walked to the van to find it had indeed resolved the issue. It is £75 ish to recode keys if out of warranty.

Hi, New to the Forum so having a look around and stumbled across this thread.

I too had this issue where I couldn't connect to primary user and main dealers and WeConnect customer support didn't know what to do. I then had a post on a facebook forum with someone telling me to have my keys recoded to sort the error, VW south Oxford tried to charge me but I argued and struck a deal "if it fixes the issue its a warranty repair, if it doesn't I pay" after they completed the recoding we walked to the van to find it had indeed resolved the issue. It is £75 ish to recode keys if out of warranty.
Hi guys, I do have same issue with digital dash ( have been installed by Leighton vans) cant to set up “primary user”.
Is yours with a digital dash?
And So keys recoding does sorted this problem?

Hi guys, I do have same issue with digital dash ( have been installed by Leighton vans) cant to set up “primary user”.
Is yours with a digital dash?
And So keys recoding does sorted this problem?
I never knew about the key coding when it happened to mine. But, I suspect keys would have needed to have been recoded as so much was swapped out. Let us know how you get on!!

Unbelievably after months of it working flawlessly, one of the major problem is back of slow boot (bearing in mind the 5F, SOS etc were all replaced). 5-10 mins, as this is only associated with one of the many issues I had I'll start a new thread.

Last edited:
Just got myself a T6.1 startline, all completely standard. I also never have any internet connection on my head unit and cannot after many many times trying, become the Primary User. My head unit is in a state of being set to 'Maximum Privacy' but will not allow me to change the privacy settings, so I'm in a sense completely locked out of the unit in terms of changing settings and setting up an internet connection via my mobile hotspot.

I've also contacted my local VW dealer to get my unit updated. But they have told me straight away on the phone that there is no update in their system for my vehicle, even though I've seen literally hundreds of people on forums saying they have had their system updated. It is all so frustrating, and this is on a modern software system! Blows my mind how this isn't common across the board knowledge at VW garage centres that there is issues and updates available.

Just got myself a T6.1 startline, all completely standard. I also never have any internet connection on my head unit and cannot after many many times trying, become the Primary User. My head unit is in a state of being set to 'Maximum Privacy' but will not allow me to change the privacy settings, so I'm in a sense completely locked out of the unit in terms of changing settings and setting up an internet connection via my mobile hotspot.

I've also contacted my local VW dealer to get my unit updated. But they have told me straight away on the phone that there is no update in their system for my vehicle, even though I've seen literally hundreds of people on forums saying they have had their system updated. It is all so frustrating, and this is on a modern software system! Blows my mind how this isn't common across the board knowledge at VW garage centres that there is issues and updates available
Sorry you're going through this too...as you'll see in my other post lately, it's happened again! And thats on a brand new 5f / SOS units. Apparently.

Same issue here. Van Haven custom with digi dash. Cannot set primary user. When I picked up the van Toby at Van Haven was set as primary user and I deleted his profile thinking that was the reason I could not install myself. Clearly not the case. Did not see an answer as to whether recoding keys works despite digi dash.

Same issue here. Van Haven custom with digi dash. Cannot set primary user. When I picked up the van Toby at Van Haven was set as primary user and I deleted his profile thinking that was the reason I could not install myself. Clearly not the case. Did not see an answer as to whether recoding keys works despite digi dash.
So that's three of us on here who've had a VanHaven digital dash with same issue
I do wonder if that's the issue, with the setup maybe? Do you have an issue with slow boot?

Mine got "fixed" with new infortainment 5f and sos module by VW.... however, 5 months on, it's happened again. Got it booked in with VW dec 1st

Last edited:
I have no otrher issue than the primary user registration. Everything else seems fine. I am not keen to take it to a dealer and have them reset or upgrade things as reading the forum, this will likely create issues with the speakers and digi dash. Maybe try the key recode first and see if that works.

I have no otrher issue than the primary user registration. Everything else seems fine. I am not keen to take it to a dealer and have them reset or upgrade things as reading the forum, this will likely create issues with the speakers and digi dash. Maybe try the key recode first and see if that works.
It's a good point, that's exactly what has happened to me, and VW refuse to help put anything back (rear speakers and MFD always don't work after).

Unfortunately for me it's now just slow boot, up to 25 mins from starting the van. It's back with VW as we speak (third issue, 7th visit in a year)

Did you manage to resolve the issue via the dealer? I am still unable to register but van is going back to Van Haven for another issue and they said they will have a look at the registration issue while there. I guess they have seen this a few times.

Back