AdBlue top-up issue (merge)

Seems a completely bonkers system. My 2016 Nissan Navara takes Adblue and you just fill the tank. No bother at all.

Thanks everyone for advice

ok so an update on how I fixed this, after getting down to 200miles before the engine was disabled

I removed the small adblue undertray, 3 x 8mm bolts directly underneath the van inline with the adblue top up cap...there were several other undertray sections but just the small section was all that was needed. I was then able to squeese my hand in and remove the quick release fill up pipe...there are two pipes but the fill up pipe is the much wider pipe....I had to sqeeze together the two green compression sections of the quick release hose and off it popped...

I then stuck a pipe onto the tank and when I did this the fluid started to pour out the sides, it looks like there is a one way spring loaded valve so when you push the pipe in then it lets all the adblue run out the sides, I grabbed a bucket and caught about 6litres.

After draining out the 6 litres I reconnected the quick release fill pipe.

I then turned the ignition on and left it for around 60 seconds, but no change.

I went for a drive and kept switching off and on waiting 60 seconds before starting the car but again no luck...I did this again and again for the next 24hrs but with no change.

The next day I added around 4litres back in, I'm guessing that left about 2-3 litres before overflowing, switched the ignition on and with in about a second it immediately registered 6000miles...I didn't even need to wait 30 seconds or go for a drive.

Thank god it's fixed as I really didnt fancy an expensive visit to the dealer or worse having to replace anything...

So I guess the moral of the story is don't overfill the adblue tank, only add the required amount shown on the dash inside the car.

Thanks everyone for the help, you all saved the day :)

I filled up at the 350 miles to go range, followed the guidelines on Adblue topping up on this site and it all worked out well, tank showing 5000mikle to go.
Love this site, thanks for all the help from all members.

I filled up at the 350 miles to go range, followed the guidelines on Adblue topping up on this site and it all worked out well, tank showing 5000mikle to go.
Love this site, thanks for all the help from all members.
Was that a 10 litre bottle Tony? I put a 5 litre in mine t'other day which gave me an extra 2000 miles. First time I've put the stuff in!

I'm on the adblue gravy train now. Had the van nearly 3 years and past top ups have been fine, but this time when I got the 650 mile warning I waited till it dropped to 600 then added 10 litres. Hasn't registered and now down to 550 till death. I'm just gonna leave it for now. Due a regen soon so will see if that has any effect.

Back