ACC & City Braking - How Its Done -

I think it will work, but not as precise as it should.
There are a lot of liftet or lowered T6 Busses in the World.
And i did not read any problems with ACC on them.

But without some Numbers this is only a guess
Mine is lowered and Front Assist & ACC work perfectly ;)

Reactions: mmi
I think it will work, but not as precise as it should.
There are a lot of liftet or lowered T6 Busses in the World.
And i did not read any problems with ACC on them.

But without some Numbers this is only a guess

Yeah, id agree. i parked the car and van nose to nose the other day...the top of the badge on the golf was level with the bottom of the badge on the van to give an idea of comparison to anyone who is interested.

What happens if a MFSW is fitted that includes the ACC button with (CNL button) on a 2019 T6 with radar? I have retrofitted normal cruise control using a T5 stalk but want a MFSW but also want to keep open the option of ACC should it become possible just with VCDS or VCP. I have also been thinking about using a MFSW with paddles - would this cause problems on a manual van? If it is OK I would hope to wire the paddles to the RES and SET cruise control buttons. I have seen paddle wheels can be fitted without problems on DSG vans but not seen it tried on manual vans.

Can you please tell me what is involved? Can it be done just with VCDS and/or VCP and/or ODIS or is it, as you are inferring, much more complicated?

The Radar sensor is "Protected" by two Cryptographic Functions.

1. Component Protection
2. SWAP FeC Codes

Only if those are Enabled correctly, than the Radar is working.

1. is easy, every VW Dealer can do this with Odis online
With Component Protection the Radar will be matched to your Car (to your Speedo)
Every Time the ignition will be turned on, the Radar and the Speedo talk together and check that they match, if so, all ok, if not, you get a "Component Protection Error" in the Radar, and it will not work.
With this matching, the Radar is matched to the VIN of your Car, too.

2. is easy, too, every VW Dealer can do this with Odis online
Problem is VW keeps a list of enabled Functions regarding your VIN "FeC"
For Radar there are five possible FeC's possible.
- only Frontassist
- Frontassist and ACClow (160 km/h) with DSG
- Frontassist and ACChigh (210 km/h) with DSG
- Frontassist and ACClow (160 km/h) with manual Gearbox
- Frontassist and ACChigh (210 km/h) with manual Gearbox

But when your Car did not had this from the Factory, than the FeC Code will not be generated by the VW Servers.
VW started using this mechanism for a lot of stuff.
Even for GRA in newer Cars.
They wont to make money.
For some stuff like Gra you can buy an upgrade @ VW.
But not for ACC in the T6.

So in short, it is a lot more complicated than using VCDS VCp or Odis ....

But one "easy" way is existing.

- Get a used Speedo from a chrashed T6 that had ACC from factory, the same Gearbox as you, and it needs to have the same Radio configuration, too.
In T6 the Radar and the Dicover Meda are using FeC Codes !!!
- Put it into your car and get the Immobiliser configuration matched to your Engine ECU and your Keeys (Speedo manipulation software needed)
- Change the VIN around all ECU's of your car to the Doner T6 VIN (minimum: ABS, Engine ECU, Speedo)
- Go to VW and let them do Step 1 and Step 2 (for Radar and Radio) for the Donor VIN.
- Radar is working now
- Now you can change the VIN back to your original VIN, Radar will keep working
- You need to keep the Donor Speedo in the Car.

Last edited:
Thanks for that comprehensive reply. As it is a leased van that needs to be kept (fairly) standard I will go down the paddle steering wheel route. At worst I will need to change the buttons.

What happens if a MFSW is fitted that includes the ACC button with (CNL button) on a 2019 T6 with radar? I have retrofitted normal cruise control using a T5 stalk but want a MFSW but also want to keep open the option of ACC should it become possible just with VCDS or VCP.

Having MFSW with GRA or ACC but still using GRA via stalk coul'd work, your need to try it.
There is a bit in BCM config which enables GRA via MFSW, if you don't set this, than GRA via stalk will work probably.
And you need to left the GRA signal from MFSW not connected.
Still, you need to try it, but looks promising.

I presume I would still need the dealer to do the ODIS stuff. That is what I want to avoid as the van will need to be returned to standard to go back or at least fail safe if any modules get updated during a service. Also it is not worth spending much money on. I can do the VCP and VCDS stuff and have tried various things. If I set the BCM to have a MFSW (but not fitted) the CC works but would occasionally (when starting) show a fault in the dash display (implausible signal in engine module), cleared by stopping and starting again. I ran like this for a couple of months and one time saw an ACC fault show on the display which showed only briefly. If I enable ACC in the engine module the glow plug indicator flashes and cruise control is disabled. Last night I found your ABS code list so will try changing byte 17.
I have ordered the paddle MFSW which does not have the ACC button so I will not be able to do any further testing without changing the buttons.

Tried changing byte 17 F1 to F5 but same result - glowplug light flashing + no cruise control also stop start is disabled, don't know if that is a problem.
As the van came with the radar as standard, I presume the FeC code is theproblem. I was hoping VW had set it for ACC but knew it was a long shot.

Tried changing byte 17 F1 to F5 but same result - glowplug light flashing + no cruise control also stop start is disabled, don't know if that is a problem.

The Start/Stop disabled issue i had, too.
But at sometime this erros disapeared.
Probably this is related to the BCM Coding error: Transporter 2018 + HEX V2
Try to change BCM coding some times.

If you have installed the MFSW with Acc buttons, and coded everything right, than no real errors will apear.
But since FEC Code for ACC is missing, you will have the message ACC not Available when you activate it.

So, is anyone going the way i described ?
I have a new a bit easier way, but that is not for public discussion, since VW could read here ....
Can you upgrade max ACC speed from 160 km/h to 210 km/h?

Reactions: mmi
I've got the 160km/h,
When we specked the van up I was told that the higher speed at which the system worked was the only difference;
But after we got our vehicle, it was mentioned that the 210km/h version has better functionality it terms low speed traffic queuing.

it was mentioned that the 210km/h version has better functionality it terms low speed traffic queuing.
That is wrong.
The Sensor is the same for 160 and 210 in the T6, the only difference is the Max speed-setting that you can make.
If you pay more, you get more speed :)

I didn't say that the Sensor was different; but somebody has posted that the 210km/h version was different at low speeds (maybe 2+ years ago);
I've just searched the forum but I can't find it; but I certainly commented in the tread, because I remember thinking I would have opted for the 210 if I had known.
I just can't recall, does the 160 version switch off when the traffic approaches stop?, and the 210 remain engaged ready to pull off again??????

No hard Feelings, sorry if i was to direct.
I was driving the last 3 Month with 160, i will have an eye on the 210 if there is an difference.
From my Testdrive yesterday i would say, there is no, but that was only short 50 km.
Let's see.
In general the Generation of ACC in the T6 is already on an old not maintained branch @VW
The ACC was when it was new in 2015 only a for the T6 stripped down Version from the MQB Plattform which has it's limits ...
T6.1 is a newer one. But from my Testdrive @ the Dealer i would say, it is not what i was hoping for.

No issues.
If the sensor is the same, and the functionality (other than the speeds which the software will operate) the same; it would seem that VW took the pi55 somewhat with having two systems.
I will have another look in the "search box"

Can someone Scan and Post the Pages from the manuel regarding ACC and Frontassist please.
Since the online Version from VW is offline for month now .... this could help everyone to understand the Linit of those assistants.

Back