245/45/20 tyre pressures?

Hi all, I've got a 2018 T6 4Motion Multivan running 20" wheels and 245/45 tyres. My issue is with rubbing the edges off tyres in no time at all. Regular wheel alignments, correct pressures but man do I go through tyres. I assume this is not just my problem. Question is has anyone upgraded shocks without lowering spring to reduce this rapid tyre wear?
Cheers, Neil

How long are we talking?

My original 17" Bridgestones lasted about 11,000 miles on the front. The 255-45-19 Avons managed 10,000 miles, but they wore the centers out due to too much pressure to begin with and me not paying attention. I've just changed them and have dropped down to 38psi

I'm sure driving it like a car, rather than a van causes rapid ware. There are a lot of forces going through the tyres and they get twisted all ways keeping a heavy vehicle pointing the way the driver wants it to go.

Which end of van? Also, standard springs or lowered? If lowered how low?

If you’ve had the van lowered it alters the geometry of the suspension and it should be checked/adjusted.

Not lowered, standard springs and shocks. Summer and winter wheel/tyre combos and all 4 corners.

How long are we talking?

My original 17" Bridgestones lasted about 11,000 miles on the front. The 255-45-19 Avons managed 10,000 miles, but they wore the centers out due to too much pressure to begin with and me not paying attention. I've just changed them and have dropped down to 38psi

I'm sure driving it like a car, rather than a van causes rapid ware. There are a lot of forces going through the tyres and they get twisted all ways keeping a heavy vehicle pointing the way the driver wants it to go.

15000km max on a set of tyres. Current set are Cooper Zeon tyres which were $500 NZD a corner. Using Yokohama Geolanders on a set of 18" rims in winter and same issue. I know its a heavy vehicle and I tend to move quickly but must be a solution...

Under normal use and with recommended tyres this picture would lead you to think it’s steering geometry that’s at fault
567C945E-E17E-4504-91E8-3C36572E0039.jpeg

But you add in other factors like road surfaces ...motorway tram lines and so on...tyre wear becomes difficult to explain...

Then you add over size wheels and tyres the whole tyre wear thing goes to rat sh*t......the Physics of the tyre being ripped across the tarmac on corners at speed and with load and trying to keep you safe is tall order to ask....something has to give ....

We are guilty of wanted our vans to look nice.......Just don’t expect Miracles :inlove:

When you say correct pressures, what are you actually running them at?

Which end of van? Also, standard springs or lowered? If lowered how low?

If you’ve had the van lowered it alters the geometry of the suspension and it should be checked/adjusted.
Both ends, standard springs, regular alignment. Seem to have a reputation in this part of the world as excessive tyre wearers.

Under normal use and with recommended tyres this picture would lead you to think it’s steering geometry that’s at fault
View attachment 95958

But you add in other factors like road surfaces ...motorway tram lines and so on...tyre wear becomes difficult to explain...

Then you add over size wheels and tyres the whole tyre wear thing goes to rat sh*t......the Physics of the tyre being ripped across the tarmac on corners at speed and with load and trying to keep you safe is tall order to ask....something has to give ....

We are guilty of wanted our vans to look nice.......Just don’t expect Miracles :inlove:
Sadly none of these, its the outside edges. Inflation and alignment regularly checked.

I've just moved to 20" wheels and I'm not sure what pressure I'm running. I guess you could regularly check the tyres and still be running too low a pressure?

I've just moved to 20" wheels and I'm not sure what pressure I'm running. I guess you could regularly check the tyres and still be running too low a pressure?
If you do some research on this forum and find out what pressure others are successfully using with 20's, then set and regularly check your tyre pressures then no, it's unlikely you'd still be running too low a pressure.
Tyre pressure is safety critical, as well as being a big factor in tyre wear and fuel economy, it's easy to do and well worth getting it right. :thumbsup:

If you do some research on this forum and find out what pressure others are successfully using with 20's, then set and regularly check your tyre pressures then no, it's unlikely you'd still be running too low a pressure.
Tyre pressure is safety critical, as well as being a big factor in tyre wear and fuel economy, it's easy to do and well worth getting it right. :thumbsup:
Yeah, the place that fitted my 20's did the work. It's on my job list to check how they left them...

Sorry to ignite an old thread but did anyone find the best pressure for 245 45 20’s ? I’m going to France next week with a sort of heavy load . 4 people , luggage for 2 weeks and of course dads fishing gear (quite a lot of gear) anyone any recommendations on pressures ??

That’s for the reply’s . I think the max is 50 so I’ll go with 48 then. That way I’m not over pressure for wear but more than my current 40/42 what’s in them now to allow for the weight .

That’s for the reply’s . I think the max is 50 so I’ll go with 48 then. That way I’m not over pressure for wear but more than my current 40/42 what’s in them now to allow for the weight .
Max? Where's that listed. Certainly not max for tyres

Back