T32 + SoLow + 245/45/20 = rubbing

T6 LeeHam

T6 Pro
So i fitted my solows this weekend, and I'm getting a lot of rubbing. They're currently wound as high as they will go, and the tyres are 245/45/20. What would work, the wheels are rubbing the inner and outer arch liner.

There are a few things to try.

Get a heat gun on the inner liner and push it back a bit.

Remove the screw at 12 o’clock on the outer liner, push the liner up behind the tab and then gently and carefully bend the tab up a little. Don’t go overboard or you can put a little crease in the arch that you don’t want.

As for tyres, a 245/40 Nankang AS-2+ is the smallest load rated 20” tyre for a T32. They are available in 103 load rating.

They first two might help, but the 245/45 is a big tyre to make work with Solows.

Edit: just realised you didn’t say if you are T32! Is the van T32, T30 etc?

Yes, t32. (it's in the title). The screw was already removed from changing many headlights, I've found some 255/35 that come in 103 rating

Yes, t32. (it's in the title). The screw was already removed from changing many headlights, I've found some 255/35 that come in 103 rating
That’s what I run without issues on solows on the fronts, 275/35/20 on the rears

Resurrecting this. I’m currently planning a T6 California on Solows with 20s (likely Navis Holey 8.5 et35 & 10 et40 steels or maybe a 9” et42 wheel all ‘round). I know the Royal Black Performance 255/35 are a 103 rating (as above link) but I’m not overly keen on a budget tyre choice.

I know there are folks like @Tourershine & @BognorMotors who are proper experts on this but I’m sure there’s quite a few others that would know too.

1. Anyone tried the Royal Performance tyre? How’s it compare to a ‘branded’ tyre?
2. Looking at sizes (mainly for the front, the rear is easier to get in load ratings that work) Camskill list a Goodyear in 255/40 with a 104 rating. I don’t plan on running super low on the Solows so my question is: am I likely to rub with this set up?

Cheers!

Resurrecting this. I’m currently planning a T6 California on Solows with 20s (likely Navis Holey 8.5 et35 & 10 et40 steels or maybe a 9” et42 wheel all ‘round). I know the Royal Black Performance 255/35 are a 103 rating (as above link) but I’m not overly keen on a budget tyre choice.

I know there are folks like @Tourershine & @BognorMotors who are proper experts on this but I’m sure there’s quite a few others that would know too.

1. Anyone tried the Royal Performance tyre? How’s it compare to a ‘branded’ tyre?
2. Looking at sizes (mainly for the front, the rear is easier to get in load ratings that work) Camskill list a Goodyear in 255/40 with a 104 rating. I don’t plan on running super low on the Solows so my question is: am I likely to rub with this set up?

Cheers!
I’ve not ran those Tyres but I’ve had two different budget 255/35/20 last ones from camskill city racing I think they’re called, no issues at all, I think as long as they’re load rated for a van they’re fine , vanstyle also sell load rated tires, as for not running low on solows I’d re think your choice, solows are low out the box, I run them all the way down on the rear 275/35/20 , three quarters way down on the front , I get the occasional chaffage on the tread if I’m loaded but it’s only the plastic liner so not to concerned. 255/40 are quite a big Tyre not sure you’d get away with that on the front, I used to have 245/45 but they were like balloons and the gearing/drive felt horrible. The website “will they fit “ is good to see rolling radius etc compared to standard size Tyres . Hope this helps slightly.

255/40 is too big really. You can get 245/40 Nankang AS-2+ in 103 load rating in that size which works with Solow at or near maximum height. It’s a good tyre too.

I’ve supplied and fitted many sets of Solow at the cave and they are my go to front tyre for T32 load rating.

If you want to go any lower than very close to max height it’ll have to be the budget 255/35, or you’ll have to lose the load rating and go smaller.

It’s also worth noting that almost all Solow installs need some additional work to stop rubbing at the front on 20s and knocking from the rear, make sure you get them fitted by someone who knows what they’re doing with them.

Thanks for that @The Van Cave , really useful info. I’m north of Manchester so was planning on going to THQ. I’ve had quite a few cars on air over the years so I know about the tweaking to get vehicles low, however this is my first van And I’m slightly less hands on than I used to be.

I guess if I’m going Nankang I may as well do the Royals really. I’ve run with Nankang NS2 before (came on a set of wheels, I didn’t choose them :) ) and I’d say they weren’t terrible but I’m older now and a van is a different kind of vehicle

I’ve not ran those Tyres but I’ve had two different budget 255/35/20 last ones from camskill city racing I think they’re called, no issues at all, I think as long as they’re load rated for a van they’re fine , vanstyle also sell load rated tires, as for not running low on solows I’d re think your choice, solows are low out the box, I run them all the way down on the rear 275/35/20 , three quarters way down on the front , I get the occasional chaffage on the tread if I’m loaded but it’s only the plastic liner so not to concerned. 255/40 are quite a big Tyre not sure you’d get away with that on the front, I used to have 245/45 but they were like balloons and the gearing/drive felt horrible. The website “will they fit “ is good to see rolling radius etc compared to standard size Tyres . Hope this helps slightly.
Must have skipped over this before @F2JON. Thanks for this, looking at more Solow pics I’m likely to want to run a little lower than max height. I’m not likely to chuck the van about but I do want to be able to brake ok in the wet. Not ruled out the 255/35 Royal Black tyre yet.

@The Van Cave post on Instagram shows max and min height which is helpful.

Very similar size to the 245/40 20 so yeah, as long as you stay near the top of the adjustment they should be OK.

Thanks, I likely have enough info now to make a decision. Now to source the Cali (i know, I know, asking these questions I should have it already!). A few on my list for sale right now so need to work my way through. I’m picky with spec.

I'm running SoLows at max full height front and near max at the rear. I have Navis Twins 20X9 ET42 all round with 255/40 F and 265/40 rear. I've only pushed the front arch liner above the little bracket and pushed it upwards. Front tyres are lovely Rainsport 5's. It's a T5 obviously but same in this regard as the T6. No rubbing/banging/knocking. The mudflaps rub the odd time on a ramp etc :) van_191220222.jpg

So quick update from me, I fitted the Royal perfomance tyres all round. Theyve been on 5/6 months now and i've had no problems with them. No rubbing, no egging of the tyres, they just work. I'm about to swap to some Devonports with oem tyres on for abit, and refurb my 20's. Solows are pretty comfy, although i think 18/19s with more tyre would be the sweetspot for a daily.

Back