235/50/18 vs 245/45/18 vs 255/45/18

LT2019

T6 Pro
Hi Folks!

Looking at new wheels/tires for T6 Highline. Sticker in the door only provides one size for 18inch wheels, which is:
  • 255/45 R18 xl 103H 8jX18
What rims widths would you recommend for each of these?
  • Which tire would provide the most comfort and less road noise?
Current on 2015/65 16, speedo seems almost +3mph comparing gps speed vs electronic cruise speed

Cheapest option seems to be the 245/45 18s

Was thinking GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 2 for tires rated as B/B/69db. Do these tire rating mean jack sh*t or not?

Rims thinking gloss black Riva 18" SUV, only come in 8x18 though.

Thanks in advance!

I have the same problem - I already have 8.5 x 18 rims with the plates on the door that I should wear 255x45 or will it look strange? additionally rims which I acquired are in line with the most demanding part of the wheel arches ... I am asking for feedback - thank you :)

No feedback folks? Think I'll stick to the 255/45/18 on 8j rims if that's what VW spec!

I would certainly rule out the 245/45/18", they will look under-rubbered imo.
It can be useful having a tyre with a bit more load capacity than your van needs; that way you have more choice with your tyre pressures, to get the best characteristics.

Do you run winter tyres in the season at all?
Have you considered All-Season tyres?
Do you venture onto unmade surfaces with a risk of loosing traction?

I sound like a brutal interrogator :mad::rofl:

Frankly this is the first vehicle I actually give a sh*t about. Always just gone with budget tires and from Halfords!

Upgrading the T6 is seriously addictive!

I’d rather run the same tire all year round, won’t be going off-road!

Frankly this is the first vehicle I actually give a sh*t about. Always just gone with budget tires and from Halfords!

Upgrading the T6 is seriously addictive!

I’d rather run the same tire all year round, won’t be going off-road!

I ran 255/45/18 Goodyears Eagle F1 on my banded amarok steels and they where fine, I sure T6 sportline alloys are 8x18 and this is the size vw recommend

plenty of people run summer tyres all year round,
I prefer to run All-seasons; there is no real down side in summer, especially for a van; but come ice/snow/stood water/ or driving off the pavement etc, they are so much better; also they last upto 3 times longer in terms of milage.
Tyre Bridgestone 255/45 R18 103Y XL, FSL, 3PMSF | Weather Control A005 | TyreLeader.co.uk
942956.jpg

This tyre gets really good reviews if you google it, Worth thinking about!

All season sounds like a no brainier then!

Question on alloy then? What is the most durable finish? Gloss, matt, polished! Man there is too much choice. Was thinking a simple design in gloss black (van is indium grey). I do love the look of a gloss black with polished highlights though.

18" Targa TG3 (Gloss Black with Polished Face) Alloy Wheels for Your 2018 Volkswagen (VW) Transporter T6 (Panel Van) All Models - Rimstyle.com /alloywheels/detail/?car_model_id=1928&year=2018&s=pWX4vHWK

18" Axe EX14 (Gloss Black with Polished Face) Alloy Wheels for Your Volkswagen (VW) Transporter T6 (Panel Van) All Models - Rimstyle.com

Do the polished sections get scuffed easily though?

I think something worth baring in mind with diamond cut wheels (bared metal and powder coated on same wheel), is durability. At this price point the wheels may have a shortish life in terms of finish; but you may get lucky also.
There are members on this forum who will not touch diamond cut wheels due to longevity issues; however there are plenty of high end car manufactures who fit them from the factory all day long.
However if they where to blister/go milky or the powder coat start pealing back at the bare metal interface, you can always get them re-coated with or without the diamond finish.
There are some wheel finishers who can take your wheels to OEM+ standard; some of it comes down to the quality of the top lacquer coat.
Budget around £250-£350 for a set of 4 re-coated with tyre removal and refitting. You get to pick your own colour also.

Of your two sets, my choice would be the Axe 14, but it's all personal.

Steel wheels can look really good on a T6 also, plenty of info on this forum about them; plus you can get them in 18" size

I know, it's a tricky thing picking wheels.
Your first thoughts were "Black", I think Wolfrace are a popular choice with T5/T6 owners;
You can also pick up nearly new OEM Amarok Alloy wheels in 18", and then powder coat to your own colour if you choose.
You will need new tyres as Amarok rubber is too big.

Vw Amarok 18” Wheels And Tyres Brand New..! | eBay
can often find them cheaper than this
s-l1600.jpg

image1-jpeg.5822

Lifted this image from this forum, the darker "smoked chrome" powder coat looks good against grey, imo.

Hi Folks!

Looking at new wheels/tires for T6 Highline. Sticker in the door only provides one size for 18inch wheels, which is:
  • 255/45 R18 xl 103H 8jX18
What rims widths would you recommend for each of these?
  • Which tire would provide the most comfort and less road noise?
Current on 2015/65 16, speedo seems almost +3mph comparing gps speed vs electronic cruise speed

Cheapest option seems to be the 245/45 18s

Was thinking GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 2 for tires rated as B/B/69db. Do these tire rating mean jack sh*t or not?

Rims thinking gloss black Riva 18" SUV, only come in 8x18 though.

Thanks in advance!

I ran 255/45/18 Goodyears Eagle F1 on my banded amarok steels and they where fine, I sure T6 sportline alloys are 8x18 and this is the size vw recommend

I was messing around on that tyre website whilst looking at a few sizing threads, and thought posting this image might help you @LT2019

Back