Which tyres for 7.5J 18’s

EAN

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Have got a set of 18” VW Manaus wheels (from an Amarok) coming for my T28 camper
i was intending, and wanting, to fit 255/45/18 103Y Michelin cross climate 2’s.
However, they are only 7.5J wide and i’ve seen differing info on what is the max fitment.
I’ve found a chart that says the max is 235 period for 7.5J wheels and I’ve also seen a chart from Nankang that gives differing tyre widths dependant on profile and 255/45/18 is ok with them. Can’t find a similar chart readily available for Michelin.
I could go 235/50/18 101Y Michelin cross climate 2; the load rating is ok, but my gut is saying a higher load rating would be better.
For those that have this particular wheel (or another 18” that is only 7.5J wide) what tyre size have you fitted.
I’m particularly interested in all season type tyres, with Michelin cross climate 2‘s being my favoured option.

You may get a better response by titling your thread something along the lines like “Which tyres for 7.5J 18’s” as the Manaus isn’t - dare I say this in front of @T6 dork - as popular as the Devonport, Amarok steelie or the Cantera.

Here’s a few posts to get you going though

I'm pretty sure the Amarok takes a 255 tyre width on the Manus alloy, so I don't see that this should be a problem?

Reactions: EAN
@Ads_Essex Have updated the thread title, thanks.
Easy as possible to clean was top of my list on alloy selection!!!

@Ads_Essex Have updated the thread title, thanks.
Easy as possible to clean was top of my list on alloy selection!!!
You changed it so quickly that it did throw me out, as I started to search the term ‘7.5J’ and yours came up, leading me to think I’d recommended something that was already done. Alas, I’ve found that I’m not that mad, and that other threads asking the same do exist!
Click on the 7.5J tag at the top and you’ll see :thumbsup:

Im running the 235/55/17 on my 17" Devonports which is an OEM size on the 7" rim and im really pleased with them.

info on load ratings here:

If you want a higher load rating you could get the michelin CC's in 235/55/18 at 104 rating, which is marginally oversized vs OEM, others running that here:

@T6 dork Yes 235/50/R18 is what I came up with using willtheyfit.com. Unfortunately Michelin Cross Climates only come in a 101 rating in that size. As @david173 says I can get 235/55/R18 MCCs in a 104 rating but they are quite a bit bigger diameter.
I think that is what I am going to go for, when my wheels arrive: Just a little niggle regards changing the wheel circumference variant on a T6.1 as in all my searching on various forums it still appears to be non reversible.
On the plus side they will close the wheel arch gap by about 20mm.

@EAN Looking on "Will they fit" it shows the 235/55/18 to be slightly smaller than the 235/65/17 that I have on my T6. My tyres match GPS speed so, assuming that the 6.1 has a similar error factor then you may not need to make any (potentially irreversible) adjustments.

@The Bear78 Thanks for the extra info, I‘ve almost convinced myself.
I will, of course, take it step by step to check Speedo inaccuracy before doing any irreversible changes.
As you say, may not need to, but I do think there are differences between T6 and T6.1 and mine is fitted with 16” which are the smallest of small wheels.

I run 235/55/18 cross climate 104Y. The speedo match the gps. And ride quality is considerably better than my previous 255/45/18.
@Crazymind Thanks, were you on a 16” or a 17” originally?
There is a bigger discrepancy going from 16” than from going from 17”.

Went all the way from 16” to 20”. Found the 235/55/18 being the best compromise with standard suspensions. And 255/45/18 best compromise with Koni shocks. I went from 16 to 18 245/55 and it was not pleasant in terms of comfort. 235/55 feels more similar to 16” 215/65.

Last edited:
Went all the way from 16” to 20”. Found the 235/55/18 being the best compromise with standard suspensions. And 255/45/18 best compromise with Koni shocks. I went from 16 to 18 245/55 and it was not pleasant in terms of comfort. 235/55 feels more similar to 16” 215/65.
Hello, I got 255/45/18 on my t6 with stock rims and Koni suspension (30mm higher) but hungarian roads are very bad and I was thinking on changing it to 235/55/17 or stay with the same rims and put 255/55/18 or 235/55/18 - but then my dsg would be more sluggish and I dont know which to choose from these - is the 235/55/18 the best choice? But does it fit on the stock 18 alu rims?

235/55/18 will fit your stock 18. About DSG, I can’t notice any difference between 255/45 and 235/55.
The ride quality upgrade is very noticeable.

I went for 235/55/18 104Y Michelin Cross Climate 2’s in the end after the advice/recommendations on this site.
Haven’t driven it since they’ve been fitted apart from in and out of the garage and not looking like it’s going to get used for a few weeks either. I will feedback my findings once I do.

I went for 235/55/18 104Y Michelin Cross Climate 2’s in the end after the advice/recommendations on this site.
Haven’t driven it since they’ve been fitted apart from in and out of the garage and not looking like it’s going to get used for a few weeks either. I will feedback my findings once I do.
Thanks and waiting for the feedback!

235/55/18 will fit your stock 18. About DSG, I can’t notice any difference between 255/45 and 235/55.
The ride quality upgrade is very noticeable.
One more question. Do you have adaptive cruise control? Does it work fine with different tyre size?

So, much later than anticipated, I finally got to drive the van a decent distance.
Ride was definitely less crashy and even a bit bouncier in comparison (standard suspension, full camper).
Didn’t notice anything with respect to gearing.
Speedo is now under reporting by around 4% compared to GPS. (T6.1 originally on 16”).
Now looking into getting VCDS so I can correct it (irreversibly).

Back