Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
MY18 T32 PV 204 DSG

204 engine top-end oil leak?

on a rummage around the engine bay the other day i saw this =[

the van has done 10K from new and is due its first oil service in 2k or so at the dealers.

there seems to be some oil under the charge cooler by the red boost hose, its very high up on the engine.

its not a leak as such, more of blow off oil, but looks like its maybe coming from around the black tube shown below in yellow. just below the turbo and charge pipe.

im posting this here so i can report what the dealers say when i take it in for the fist service soon.

anyone else had this?

pics below:

20190226_135414.jpg 20190226_135443.jpg 20190226_135455.jpg 20190226_135508.jpg 20190226_135521.jpg 20190226_135628.jpg Inked20190226_135543_LI.jpg

You and I are of the generation where we are confident in fixing things ourselves, and by the looks of it, you've located the source of the leak, which doesn't look too serious, but get why you're letting the dealer sort it out.

You and I are of the generation where we are confident in fixing things ourselves, and by the looks of it, you've located the source of the leak, which doesn't look too serious, but get why you're letting the dealer sort it out.
agreed, i have the 2yr extended warranty too so i will be dropping it back to them for every little detail (within reason)

it might be that they have a new modified part? - maybe a new breather pipe.

lets see what they say.

the van is booked in for an oil service tomorrow . . . . . . lets see what they say.

on the previous service (2019) they said it was the Orange boost hose slightly leaking.

all they did was tighten the hose, clean it up and say keep an eye on it. . . .

well here we are in 2021 (basically a year later due to covid) and the van is booked in again for another service (40k ish) . . . i have reported it to them (again, as it looks exactly the same now, as it did before) with some other issues.

lets see what the say this time... . . . . . . . .

Last edited:
@Dellmassive Keep us posted. The charge cooler on my van isn’t secure, a couple of the fixings are missing. I wondered whether this movement is causing the leak from the orange hose.
963633C5-56E6-4406-A9BE-E1519F36D1F6.jpegAE840160-C1CE-4349-8BDC-A4500F4266C4.jpeg

will do . . .

i have an exhaust leak, sticky window, loose side door lock & a rattling DMF + a service for them to deal with / look at.

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
I’m in the rattling dmf club too, vibration coming through whilst accelerating in 6th and 7th. No noise on idle when cold yet but I’m sure what’s what it is.

I’m in the rattling dmf club too, vibration coming through whilst accelerating in 6th and 7th. No noise on idle when cold yet but I’m sure what’s what it is.

My 2018 204 PV has just had DMF under warranty. Very rattley when cold. Loose rotational noise, not just the engine! Very obvious when started up next to a good one. No vibrations though. It's been gradually getting worse over the last 10k miles. Also front and rear mains oil leaks. All done without quibble in the dying weeks of warranty.

Update on this . . . 2021.

van MY18 204 DSG went in for its 3rd service 40kish. (minor/major/minor)

mentioned this leak again . . . for the the time.

i not have a shiny new charge cooler !!!

diagnostic showed - pressure tested charge air system to find the leak.

new charge cooler . . . FOC - warranty

(DMF rattle identified and to be replaced, sump oil leak identified and replaced)

1620132134705.png1620132148540.png1620132166276.png

and the report.

1620132342287.png

Update on this . . . 2021.

van MY18 204 DSG went in for its 3rd service 40kish. (minor/major/minor)

mentioned this leak again . . . for the the time.

i not have a shiny new charge cooler !!!

diagnostic showed - pressure tested charge air system to find the leak.

new charge cooler . . . FOC - warranty

(DMF rattle identified and to be replaced, sump oil leak identified and replaced)

View attachment 114747View attachment 114748View attachment 114749

and the report.

View attachment 114750
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I thought the charge cooler used coolant to cool the charge, where is the oil coming from that was leaking out which prompted the replacement unless the liquid mention is oil rather than coolant?

1626125783404.png

@mgbracer64

The charge air cooler is defo water cooled. (not oil cooled)

not 100% on where the oil was coming from, they said they pressure tested the "air" side to find the leak?

so . . .

i say leak, . . . but i was more blow by or a damp patch that got bigger over time.

ill have to assume it was vaporized oils in the charge air circuit that has come from the crank case breather circulation system?

they normally have the crank case at a slight vacuum to help prevent "pressure build up" oil leaks,

so have the crankcase breather is linked to the inlet manifold somehow. (which generates the vacuum)

that way you can get oil vapour at that point that is mixed with the EGR and fresh air inlet and ultimately burnt in the cylinders.

the DFP etc will then deal with the emissions and burnt oils as its turned to ash in the exhaust system.

this is how the oil can get burned/used in the engine - not just from cylinder wash and piston ring seepage.

+++

this is all assumption as i dont know for sure. - but i think that is was happening.

any else have any input?

+++

Crankcase blow by and if you are unlucky turbocharger seals.
Installing a separator pot on the crankcase ventilation will remove the oil but it will require regular manual draining. Advantage being that it’s less engine oil partially burn in the engine so less carbon deposits in the inlet valves, EGR system and DPF. The charge air cooler will also be more effective without the oil film.
I haven’t done it on my CFCA (180ps) as the oil level does not move between oil services.

Crankcase blow by and if you are unlucky turbocharger seals.
Installing a separator pot on the crankcase ventilation will remove the oil but it will require regular manual draining. Advantage being that it’s less engine oil partially burn in the engine so less carbon deposits in the inlet valves, EGR system and DPF. The charge air cooler will also be more effective without the oil film.
I haven’t done it on my CFCA (180ps) as the oil level does not move between oil services.
Found similar commentary in this thread if it is of use.

Did you ever find the cause of said leak? Having a similar issue at same miles on a MY17.
Was it the charge cooler? Coz this one has been replaced and same issue persists...

Cheers

Mine was the charge cooler.

So for yours, use break cleaner to degrease, take some pics.

Then run for a few days and keep taking pics untill you see where the leak is from.

Got a few people please can now?

Back