204ps engine, oil leak around orange boost pipe/cooler.

Fluff34567

Swiss member
T6 Guru
Hi all, whilst trying to find the rear EGR pipe I noticed the charge cooler on top if the engine was a bit oily, on further inspection it appears oil is seeping out from the orange boost pipe!
Is a bit of seepage normal on this engine or have I got leaky turbo seals ?

I had an oil leak issue but it was more apparent at the front of the charge cooler, fortunately was under warranty, never did really find out how the oil got there. see here

Secondly, what year is your van? Your charge cooler looks quite different to mine?

Got a few pics?

I have the same issue on mine.... MY18 204 DSG.

Been into VW twice for service and mentioned it.... they just cleaned and said keep an eye on it... Grrrrrr!@#$

I'll update with a pic later..

Looks like its coming from orange boost hose or sensor on top..... has been like it from new..... now 36k mils.

Edit pics added...

20210216_133253.jpg20210216_133221.jpg20210216_133154.jpg20210216_133142.jpg20210216_133139.jpg20210216_133133.jpg20210216_133114.jpg20210216_133051.jpg20210216_133055.jpg

Last edited:
Do you need to top up the engine oil between services? If so how much?
What’s the milage / age?
Oil in the charge air cooler will affect the performance of the cooler due to reduced heat transfer rate. Whether VW will tell you it‘s normal I have no idea, they appear to regard many other abnormal situations as normal.

Your charge cooler looks quite different to mine?

That’s the original charge cooler design which got phased out after the mounting brackets underneath started shearing off and caused it to float above the engine. The replacement cooler design is shown in @Dellmassive photos above.

The original design charge cooler sheared off on my 150ps engine but was held pretty firmly in place by all the hoses, however over time it caused a coolant leak on one of the hoses so the warranty fix was to swap it to the new design, expensive though at about £1.5k.

That’s the original charge cooler design which got phased out after the mounting brackets underneath started shearing off and caused it to float above the engine. The replacement cooler design is shown in @Dellmassive photos above.

The original design charge cooler sheared off on my 150ps engine but was held pretty firmly in place by all the hoses, however over time it caused a coolant leak on one of the hoses so the warranty fix was to swap it to the new design, expensive though at about £1.5k.
Thanks for the info. Is that how much a charge cooler is? Wow had no idea it was that much when I had mine changed under warranty (for oil pooling around the support bracket at the front).

Thanks for the info. Is that how much a charge cooler is? Wow had no idea it was that much when I had mine changed under warranty (for oil pooling around the support bracket at the front).
From memory the new charge cooler unit itself was somewhere around £400 but there is a lot of ancillary pipe work changes which brought the parts bill closer to £1k and then the rest is labour as it’s a fairly big job with all of the pipe work re-routing. I didn’t really question it as it was a warranty job but I did gasp when I heard the bill, there was certainly a lot of new stuff under the bonnet after they completed the job.

I took the EGR unit out and at same time took the charge cooler out. The pipework is pretty clean but the charge cooler was full of oil. I ran white spirit through it and the spirit was black . All cleaned and after 6 years it wasnt bad tbh.

Looking at relocating the crank vent away from the intake

I took the EGR unit out and at same time took the charge cooler out. The pipework is pretty clean but the charge cooler was full of oil. I ran white spirit through it and the spirit was black . All cleaned and after 6 years it wasnt bad tbh.

Looking at relocating the crank vent away from the intake
If you fit a separator in the line you can still terminate the vent at the original connection on the induction. I’d advise going for the biggest separator you can get as it will increase the period between manual draining. Make sure you don’t restrict the bore of vent system as that will lead to a whole load of other issues, better to go bigger than the original.

Back