18" Sportlines On A T32 With Big Brakes

TPMS on T6’s is an indirect system it uses the ABS system to monitor the rotational speed of each wheel. There are no sensors in the wheels :thumbsup:

TPMS on T6’s is an indirect system it uses the ABS system to monitor the rotational speed of each wheel. There are no sensors in the wheels :thumbsup:
I'm a bit confused by this.
When I bought my van I had the original wheels in the back. No tpms alarm. When I took them out I got a tpms alarm that I reset and it comes back on after about 40 mile.
Surely that means they have tpms sensors in the wheels.
I thought every vehicle made after 2015 needs them in the wheels by law?

I'm a bit confused by this.
When I bought my van I had the original wheels in the back. No tpms alarm. When I took them out I got a tpms alarm that I reset and it comes back on after about 40 mile.
Surely that means they have tpms sensors in the wheels.
I thought every vehicle made after 2015 needs them in the wheels by law?

They are on the ABS sensor on a T6 as far as I know.
I do know they aren't in the wheels.

As above, defo not in the wheels, uses the abs sensor to measure wheel rotation speed in relation to each other
It’s not uncommon for the light to come on after a wheel change even after the initial set, check your pressures and if all ok then just save again and you should be fine

Last edited:
Are you 100% sure they work on the abs measuring wheel rotation speed?

Are you 100% sure they work on the abs measuring wheel rotation speed?
Absolutely 100% it’s an indirect system and compares the rotational speed of each wheel compared to the other wheels

I reset mine yesterday and after 40ish mile....maybe less it alarmed up again.
I'm a bit confused now.
You’ve got a puncture :thumbsup:

On my old BMW 320D the tyre pressure warning light came on intermittently (at first) when the end of the ABS sensor got damaged... in that case the damage got worse as the reluctor ring on the drive shaft expanded through rusting and chopping the end of the sensor away like a bacon slicer.

Absolutely 100% it’s an indirect system and compares the rotational speed of each wheel compared to the other wheels

I did check the pressure, exactly what it was at previously...lol

On my old BMW 320D the tyre pressure warning light came on intermittently (at first) when the end of the ABS sensor got damaged... in that case the damage got worse as the reluctor ring on the drive shaft expanded through rusting and chopping the end of the sensor away like a bacon slicer.
Ill investigate at the weekend......cheers

I know they are not pressure sensors in the tyre, but if it is just measuring rotational wheel speed on the abs I don’t understand why my warning keeps going off since the air management system has been connected up. I’ve spoken to others and ABP and this seems to be a common phenomenon.

If I park at the station and the sun is on the side of the van all day, I get a warning on my drive home. Its fine the next morning.

If I park at the station and the sun is on the side of the van all day, I get a warning on my drive home. Its fine the next morning.
I can understand that, but not the random warning coz of the air.

I know they are not pressure sensors in the tyre, but if it is just measuring rotational wheel speed on the abs I don’t understand why my warning keeps going off since the air management system has been connected up. I’ve spoken to others and ABP and this seems to be a common phenomenon.
I suspect that the TPMS system on T6 is a descendant/variant of TPLI+ system introduced a years few back in VW Self Study Programme 541 - pages 9, 20-25.
---> VAG SSP 541 – Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems 2014 - Pdf Online Download
The document suggests that besides just rotational wheel speed there are more factors related to measured/calculated (by ABS) "vibration patterns" of wheels o_O - the air??

I have known strange tpms/abs errors caused by a failed shock absorber and this was causing the wheel to bounce and slow down when cornering.

Very interesting! And news to me as i had thought each wheel had a sensor inside as on my GS motorbike.

This probabaly explains why the tpms alerted me one cold morning of a drop in pressure. On checking there was no sign of any air loss, later confirmed using a pressure guage. I can only imagine one wheel was slipping on ice causing it to rotate at a different speed to the one opposite, tricking the sensor into thinking the pressure had dropped.
If this is true then how does the system manage on a 4motion being driven off road?

Back