VW Sportline 340mm Brake Kits

BoroBoy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Anybody had/ have these brakes fitted to their vans? I have had a decent quote to fit these in place of my current brakes on my T32 van.
Any comments, positive or negative please, so to help in the big brake minefield decision making process.

I have the larger brake set twin piston caliper on my van which is a sportline. It is also a t32.

I have 340mm front brakes as standard on my T32 Kombi (180ps), they are very powerful and take a while to get used to. Obviously only as good as the tyres or the ABS kicks in.
I’m at 60K miles and from the pad and disc measurements I’ll get about 110K miles out of them.
There are forum trade members who are removing these and selling them on after upgrading to something else.

Anybody had/ have these brakes fitted to their vans? I have had a decent quote to fit these in place of my current brakes on my T32 van.
Any comments, positive or negative please, so to help in the big brake minefield decision making process.
Can I ask what you were quoted? I’ve been quoted £60 for an hour’s work.
Plus a fluid change on top of that.

Can I ask what you were quoted? I’ve been quoted £60 for an hour’s work.
Plus a fluid change on top of that.
It's more than £60 labour charge, but there is mor work involved. Aso temoving rear calipers and having sprayed the same colour as the fronts will be.

I do just wonder why anyone goes for bigger brakes on a T32? Just for looks ?

I run a T32 204 DSG 4M with Pendle remap 251bhp and often tow a 2100kg loaded trailer. I have upgraded all the pads but nothing else. The factory brakes are way more than adequate and I have never had to think I need bigger brakes.
I recently took the van around the Nurburgring without any brake issues!

IMG_1330.jpeg

I run a T32 204 DSG 4M with Pendle remap 251bhp and often tow a 2100kg loaded trailer. I have upgraded all the pads but nothing else. The factory brakes are way more than adequate and I have never had to think I need bigger brakes.

View attachment 220752
From what I've read (somewhere on this forum), the bigger brakes are better for heat dissipation. No idea if this is true - just what I've read. Will try and find my source.

EDIT: Found it...

You are totally correct in the fact larger rotors, vented, cross drilled etc with multi piston callipers etc will remain cooler and therefore are less prone to brake fade and over heating, therefore making them more efficient in arduous conditions .
My point being here we are talking about a van, not a high performance car.
Most people will never come close to losing brake efficiency on public roads.
Good luck

@BoroBoy - I'm fitting the 340mm discs / caliper with the twin piston set up from a T6 purely for looks, removing the smaller calipers from the 16" chassis as originally fitted from new :D

If the only reason for fitting is a visually bigger caliper size, then to note is that the 340mm caliper from the T6.1 is a smaller design (& lighter weight) than the T6 340mm caliper.

Last edited:
I agree. Having had a T32 5.1 previously with smaller stock brakes I never found them to be poor and that includes 2000kg caravan towing and Alpine mountain passes. My T6 Caravelle came with the 340mm brakes (strange spec on a Caravelle) so I decided to treat it to drilled and grooved discs to show them off better. I probably don't drive it anywhere near hard enough to need the bigger uprated brakes so it's just the visuals for me.

@BoroBoy - I'm fitting the 340mm discs / caliper with the twin piston set up from a T6 purely for looks, removing the smaller calipers from the 16" chassis as originally fitted from new :D

If the only reason for fitting is a visually bigger caliper size, then to note is that the 340mm caliper from the T6.1 is a smaller design (& lighter weight) than the T6 340mm caliper.
@moomin-j - Got any pics of the T6 340mm set you're fitting? Where are you getting them from?

You are totally correct in the fact larger rotors, vented, cross drilled etc with multi piston callipers etc will remain cooler and therefore are less prone to brake fade and over heating, therefore making them more efficient in arduous conditions .
My point being here we are talking about a van, not a high performance car.
Most people will never come close to losing brake efficiency on public roads.
Good luck
100% correct but I must say that I think my OEM 340mm brakes personally helped me in an emergency braking situation. I had a tailgating truck swerve across my lane to avoid the truck that broke down right in front of them just as I was overtaking and alongside.
The brakes are only as good as the tyres which are only as good as the road surface.
In addition I measure brake wear when the wheels are off and the front brake pads and discs are on course for 80 - 90K and 130K+ miles respectively at the current wear rate.

Don’t get me wrong most of here are about the looks of our vans and big brakes look good
Just as an aside, how many of us have done a full test emergency stop? If not, you will shocked how quickly standard brakes stop you. (If you do this be careful of any loose objects flying around in the rear!)

View attachment 220752
With that spec of van won’t you already have the bigger 340mm 4 pot brakes?

Yes indeed!
Just saying its aesthetically nice to see the Brembo / Porsche 6 pots, drilled discs etc but totally not required unless you are going on the track in which case you will need far more modifications to the suspension, wheels and tyres. I’ve never seen a Racing Transporter :)-

With that spec of van won’t you already have the bigger 340mm 4 pot brakes?
Mine. A T32 Highline panel van. VW will not sell me the T32 big brakes, but will happily install them for me, should I purvhase them elsewhere.

Mine. A T32 Highline panel van. VW will not sell me the T32 big brakes, but will happily install them for me, should I purvhase them elsewhere.
If they won't sell them to you as a small 308mm front brake driver, can you not ask the parts department for the 340mm bits, using another T6's number plate as a ref that already has the bigger 340mm brakes installed as standard?
I can get you this info, if needed?

Cheers John. I have a couple of irons in the fire at the moment. I'll wait and see how they pan out.
However, it's always preferable to have fallback pln, or change plans. So, I would be most greatful if you could supply me the parts requirement/ numbers fron VW for the 340mm kit.

If they won't sell them to you as a small 308mm front brake driver, can you not ask the parts department for the 340mm bits, using another T6's number plate as a ref that already has the bigger 340mm brakes installed as standard?
I can get you this info, if needed?

Cheers John. I have a couple of irons in the fire at the moment. I'll wait and see how they pan out.
However, it's always preferable to have fallback pln, or change plans. So, I would be most greatful if you could supply me the parts requirement/ numbers fron VW for the 340mm kit.
@BoroBoy
Unfortunately I don't have the part numbers, only the registrations of T6's that have the 340mm calipers / disc combo fitted as standard.
If you let the Vw parts dep't know this reg number, they can (will?) give you the bits you need.
Hopefully you have deep pockets, as the cost for new, will be stupidly huge.
Maybe, Mrs @BoroBoy will buy you them for Christmas?

T6 Big 340mm brakes   (1).jpg T6 Big 340mm brakes   (2).jpg

Or this registration number:

T6 Big 340mm brakes 2 (2).jpg T6 Big 340mm brakes 2 (1).jpg

Some of the bits you need:

1700755473605.png

Last edited:
I suggest get the discs and pads from Euro parts Brembo are equal or better than OEM and 50% cheaper than TPS. Front calipers I suggest looking at a breakers of low mileage late model Tansporters. Other than that it will cost a fair bit more. Good luck

Back