It's never good when a thread starts with 'My mate reckons .. ' :rolleyes:

I myself am a huge 20's fan but there's loads to consider. I wouldn't run 20's on standard suspension because the wheels and tyres have more unsprung mass than the standards ones and the shocks find this extra mass hard to deal with. It's a bit like a bigger weight on the end of a pendulum. The problem is even worse if you were to just add lowered springs as the standard shocks can't dampen the stiffer spring.

Secondly 275/40/20 are really too big compared to the standard wheel diameter and this will make the van feel more slugglish and suffer on hills. Also 275 is too wide for most rims unless you're running a staggered set up with 10" on the back. Most rims are 8.5 to 9" wide and 275 is outside the recommended width. You'd be better of with 255/40/20 all around or if the wheels are staggered use 275/40/20 on the back only but definately not the front.

Being a T28 you only need 101 load rated tyres so 106 are way too stiff. Rainsport 5's are available in 255/40/20 101, I have them on mine.
VW do offer 20" alloys as an option so there's no issues once you do it right but even they get it wrong sometimes by offering the wrong tyres.

In short if you go 20's then change your suspension to quality shocks and springs or quality coilovers but you need to spend a bit to get good stuff. Dont be one of the many people that fit 20's and hate them because they didn't change the shocks too. Do it right any never look back.
Great thanks for that. Sound advice all round.
The roads in Manchester must be in really good condition :)
you’re joking aren’t ya.

Bruv I have had two sets of 20's on mine .
Also its my work van so carry's weight all of the time .
Its also on coil overs so low but not air ride low .

Yes its a hard ride but it all comes down to what u want .

ride or looks ??

Main point is she runs on 275 35 20 Churchills and yes she does rub at times especially on full lock ( 275 40 20 will not fit )

Oh and before I get abused, for a work van Churchill's are by far the best wearing / cost tyre and believe me I've been through a lot of tyres .

If she's a weekend show van etc then its a different story

Hope this helps bruvs

IMG_3032.jpeg

Bruv I have had two sets of 20's on mine .
Also its my work van so carry's weight all of the time .
Its also on coil overs so low but not air ride low .

Yes its a hard ride but it all comes down to what u want .

ride or looks ??

Main point is she runs on 275 35 20 Churchills and yes she does rub at times especially on full lock ( 275 40 20 will not fit )

Oh and before I get abused, for a work van Churchill's are by far the best wearing / cost tyre and believe me I've been through a lot of tyres .

If she's a weekend show van etc then its a different story

Hope this helps bruvs

View attachment 199320
Cheers for that.

It's never good when a thread starts with 'My mate reckons .. ' :rolleyes:

I myself am a huge 20's fan but there's loads to consider. I wouldn't run 20's on standard suspension because the wheels and tyres have more unsprung mass than the standards ones and the shocks find this extra mass hard to deal with. It's a bit like a bigger weight on the end of a pendulum. The problem is even worse if you were to just add lowered springs as the standard shocks can't dampen the stiffer spring.

Secondly 275/40/20 are really too big compared to the standard wheel diameter and this will make the van feel more slugglish and suffer on hills. Also 275 is too wide for most rims unless you're running a staggered set up with 10" on the back. Most rims are 8.5 to 9" wide and 275 is outside the recommended width. You'd be better of with 255/40/20 all around or if the wheels are staggered use 275/40/20 on the back only but definately not the front.

Being a T28 you only need 101 load rated tyres so 106 are way too stiff. Rainsport 5's are available in 255/40/20 101, I have them on mine.
VW do offer 20" alloys as an option so there's no issues once you do it right but even they get it wrong sometimes by offering the wrong tyres.

In short if you go 20's then change your suspension to quality shocks and springs or quality coilovers but you need to spend a bit to get good stuff. Dont be one of the many people that fit 20's and hate them because they didn't change the shocks too. Do it right any never look back.
Most sensible response in a long time to the original question :)

Hi, I'm a complete noob when it comes to tyres and have been trying to watch vids and get advice of what is the best size wheel to get for my new van.

Would anyone be able to help please? It's a Transporter Startline T28, 23 plate. My mate reckons 18 inch for comfort, but I've seen some nice 20 inch ones on: Leighton LV-2 Gloss Black Alloys but a bit worried about what the ride will be like. I'd be getting the Uni Royal Rainsport 5. so 275/40R20 106Y. I wasn't planning on lowering it and getting new springs. would a 275 / 50 / 106Y make much difference and would it cause any rubbing on the wheel arch. Does this make a massive difference to fuel consumption / speedometer issues.

Currently on the basic tyres and wheel trims

thanks
I have ordered these exact wheels and tyres and should have them fitted next week. Love the look of 20's so that's the main reason I went for them, suspension is gonna need to upgraded though so i'll be shelling out for coilovers asap. Can't be worse than the steelies and tyre combo I'm on at the moment.

I have ordered these exact wheels and tyres and should have them fitted next week. Love the look of 20's so that's the main reason I went for them, suspension is gonna need to upgraded though so i'll be shelling out for coilovers asap. Can't be worse than the steelies and tyre combo I'm on at the moment.
Let me know how you get on. I think I’m going to do it all in one go now. Send a pic. Cheers. I’m on plastic wheel trims

Let me know how you get on. I think I’m going to do it all in one go now. Send a pic. Cheers. I’m on plastic wheel trims
Will do of course, ideally i wanted to do the suspension at the same time but just couldn't stretch to it with other commitments, unfortunately survival takes precedent :rofl: Anyway, won't be long until they're fitted too because i'm not a fan of driving around on stilts!

For your Transporter Startline T28, if comfort is a priority, 18-inch wheels are generally recommended. 20-inch wheels can provide a stylish look, but they may result in a slightly firmer ride. When changing tire sizes, it's important to ensure they maintain a similar overall diameter to avoid speedometer issues and rubbing on the wheel arch. Fuel consumption may be slightly affected by larger wheels, but the difference is typically minimal. Consult with a tire professional for specific recommendations based on your preferences and vehicle specifications.

I have purchased from Wheel Parts - Fede fælge til bil - Specialfælge, splitfælge og concave you can try

The 20's are awesome on the van, you won't regret it. Granted my van looks like a Tonka truck now but hopefully suspension sorted sooner than later. The wheels ride much better than the steel wheels even with the standard suspension, I've been pleasantly surprised how the Transporter handles on the road being a LWB model but it's very very planted on the big tyres and I cant wait to sort the suspension even if there is a slight loss in ride quality but I'm all for better handling and spirited driving rather than wafting around on a couch anyway.

I’m really confused at the imbalance on this - the consensus seems to be 18” is the ‘better’ option yet the wheel market seems to be focused primarily on 20”, most converters put 20” on 18” options fairly limited etc. This doesn’t make much sense.

The look sell more! Most of the 20” owner change their mind one week later they have taken possession of their conversion. Plenty on eBay almost new and most of the time cheaper than 18”.
Many people buy the Transporter without even knowing how it drives. They take the word of the seller or converter. A newly acquired friend, after driving mine, he realised how hard and terrible the ride of his van was. People around him all told him the same story: it’s a van! That is what it is. Most of the people just live with it and accept it.
I went through look and comfort, standard suspension and aftermarket. My last effort has been changing size of 18” tyres to 235/55/18. Finally this makes the ride smooth and compliant with standard suspension (30mm lowered chassis). However I will upgrade the suspension to Koni special. They make the ride better on winding roads. I think this, after 3 Transporter will be the final solution to my needs.

Last edited:
About to get my t28 converted to a Kombi day van. Been looking at 20" alloys but am I better with 18"

I'll be getting it lowered too probably b14's

I will be using it for travel to work only carrying a few tools every now and then , if this affects the decision.

Cheets

With good suspension you wont really feel any difference between 18 and 20's (assuming at least a 40 profile). Do some research on B14's .... there's a load of bad reviews and issues with them as far as I know. Good suspension and 20's can be as good if not better than factory in terms of ride quality.

With good suspension you wont really feel any difference between 18 and 20's (assuming at least a 40 profile). Do some research on B14's .... there's a load of bad reviews and issues with them as far as I know. Good suspension and 20's can be as good if not better than factory in terms of ride quality.
Cheers I've driven a van on 20s but that was at bognor motors and I think it was BMVS actually I thought it was b14. I'll ask the converter what they recommend.

Anyway the bognor one was very smooth

Back