20” alloys - how’s the ride?

Gary_M

VIP Member
Looking to change from our current 17” Devonports to a larger alloy on our T6.1. The current price drop at Leighton has me looking at 20” LV-1’s…
Our suspension setup is a ‘Definition Kit’ from CRS. Not sure of the drop but not ridiculously low as we drive a lot to the Lake District, Snowdonia etc and the roads aren’t the best!
Any feedback on 20’s given the type of road we could be driving on or would you recommend sticking to 18’s or even a 19 for something in between?

Thanks for any advice

Gary - we have 20s on our t6.1 with Crs Koni 40mm drop. Given the chance I would have definitely put on 17” swamper as we live on the west coast of Scotland. It does drive really well but always worried about the wheels…personal preference ok but I’d think twice given your use! IMG_2602.jpeg

Gary - we have 20s on our t6.1 with Crs Koni 40mm drop. Given the chance I would have definitely put on 17” swamper as we live on the west coast of Scotland. It does drive really well but always worried about the wheels…personal preference ok but I’d think twice given your use! View attachment 233255
Looks really nice
I think you’re telling me what I really know deep down but really wanted the look. I think we would be paranoid given the side ditches, potholes etc. Maybe 18’s would be the real compromise
Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

Looks really nice
I think you’re telling me what I really know deep down but really wanted the look. I think we would be paranoid given the side ditches, potholes etc. Maybe 18’s would be the real compromise
Thanks for your response, much appreciated.
Look at Navis Mac with general at tyres - if you buy them and don’t like I’ll swap/px minenot a single mark on them - done around 4-5k miles bought from Crs also last march

You’ve already sorted the suspension. The ride on 20’s will be great! Just get the tyre pressure right.

I’ve used 17,18,19 & 20 on my van. I’m currently on Navis twin with 255/35/20 tyres. My advice is keep the tyre diameter as close to original size as possible.

Looking to change from our current 17” Devonports to a larger alloy on our T6.1. The current price drop at Leighton has me looking at 20” LV-1’s…
Our suspension setup is a ‘Definition Kit’ from CRS. Not sure of the drop but not ridiculously low as we drive a lot to the Lake District, Snowdonia etc and the roads aren’t the best!
Any feedback on 20’s given the type of road we could be driving on or would you recommend sticking to 18’s or even a 19 for something in between?

Thanks for any advice
@Gary_M take from this what you will…. when I bought my van almost five years ago it was on 20” alloys…. I’ve since gone down to 18” banded steels, then down to 17” banded steels and I’ve settled on 18” alloys. :thumbsup:

I have LV-1 on the van most of the time. CRS Koni kit lowered 50mm.
I have put Devonports on for my current road trip and to me there’s no real difference in ride.
I then had new springs fitted by Steve at CRS as my old ones had sagged a bit and I snapped a front one. The new springs are marvellous and the difference is huge. I’m pretty sure it’s the suspension that makes the difference.

I have put Devonports on for my current road trip and to me there’s no real difference in ride.
I then had new springs fitted by Steve at CRS as my old ones had sagged a bit and I snapped a front one. The new springs are marvellous and the difference is huge. I’m pretty sure it’s the suspension that makes the difference.
100% it’s down to the suspension. Which kit did you have that sagged/snapped a spring?

To the OP. With the right suspension, 20’ will work well, however the state of our roads and a direct hit on a big pothole with a 20 will more than likely suffer damage when compared to a 17 hitting the sane. We sell lots of wheels, and I would say 95% are still 20”.

If you want more protection then a 17/18 with a spacer can give the right look, you will get more sidewall flex so the vehicle won’t feel as planted, but an anti roll bar upgrade will sort this

HTH

I totally agree - however it’s worth bearing in mind that 20s aren’t ideal for single track road manoeuvres/flexibility as swampers - I know this from experience ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

100% it’s down to the suspension. Which kit did you have that sagged/snapped a spring?
The Koni dampers and H&R springs. Been on nearly 4 years and done 40k. We have loads of potholes and speed humps. Our Skoda Octavia has done both front springs in the last year so it didn’t really surprise me.
It was down by about another 10mm from original fitting so nothing drastic.
I decided to get all 4 replaced at the same time as the rears aren’t too expensive.

I totally agree - however it’s worth bearing in mind that 20s aren’t ideal for single track road manoeuvres/flexibility as swampers - I know this from experience ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Absolutely. One of the reasons that the 17’s are on for this trip. I last used them for a Norway road trip.
My main reason though is that I can’t use my spare with the 20s as mine is a 4Mo and I don’t want to be stranded miles away from anywhere with a puncture etc. and also 17s use a more readily available common tyre size in case I need to replace one.

There’s no doubt that 20” wheels do look amazing on these vans…. and I agree that having a good suspension setup is the obvious starting point, but for me personally having the extra tyre (sidewall) takes away the worry and paranoia of busting a wheel on a big pothole for example. In an ideal world we’d all be driving around on lovely smooth roads with stunning 20” alloys, but unfortunately real world roads are more like farm tracks.

Back