Upsizing from 16" to 20" wheels.

Ric1962

T6 Pro
Hi all. Quick question that Im sure has been asked before and I have done several forum searches, but, regarding a T6, Is anyone running 255-35-R20`s on 20" rims and where there any fitment issues or ride issues with the bigger tyres and therefore lower side walls?

Is it really a straight forward case of fitting the tyres to the rims and then the rims (wheels) to the van and off you go?

To be honest, I probably understand more about nuclear fusion or astro physics than I do when it comes to the eternal "which tyres and wheels" dilemma!

I've seen other members here state that they are happy running 255`s and that they dont exceed the wheel arch or rub on the inside.

Assuming that the VW factory 16"s are on 215 - 65 - 16`s, then, to fit bigger wheels, from what I have worked out, it goes something like......
18" Rims with 255 - 45 - R18 tyres.
19" Rims with 255 - 40 - R19 tyres.
20" Rims with 255 - 35 - R20 tyres.

Minimum load rating for the rims is 805
Tyre rating is 101.

All these combinations will keep you virtually still within the indicated speedo reading and "should fit" without any issues! Is this correct?

Or would I require spacers and a different set of wheel bolts to fit?

I did a check on willtheyfit.com and all seems ok with virtually no change in speedo indication but would they be ok with regarding to rubbing etc, especially on the steering axle?

Im not into different size fronts to rears or really "fat" looking tyres. It is more just to change the size and look of the rims to something more easy on the eye than the factory 16`s.

Van is a 2019 LWB, 150bhp, T6, T30, camper at standard ride height, not lowered.

Cheers in advance for anyone having the patience to answer! I havent even got the van yet, hope to pick it up Monday week.

Rick.

I’m running 255/35/20 on the fronts(8.5”) , no issues, they’re the right rolling radius for standard tyre sizes , you’ll get others who disagree but I personally think they’re a perfect size tyre . Some run 275/40/20 but they’re way to big and cause chaffage if your low . I run 275/35/20 on the rears (10”) my van had 245/45/20 when I bought it, it drove awful with that size tyre, I’m also a lwb 150bhp , I also tried 235/35/20 on the front when I went air ride but they were awful too, they were like rubber bands . Hope this helps a bit .IMG_8109.jpeg

If you’re at standard ride height I’d maybe consider 275/35/20 or 265/40/20 they’ll fill the arches a bit more .

Thanks for the quick reply Jon, and a lovely van too! So you think I could go wider on the tyre and not have and rubbing or chaffing issues?

Interesting comment regarding the 235 / 35 / 20`s too. I think 255 would be wide enough.

Is there a change in ride comfort with the reduced side wall as you go up in size? As well as the greater potential for pot hole damage!

Rick.

Last edited:
I’m getting 255/35/20 fitted to my new 20 inch Navis wheels tomorrow. I’ll be coming from 275/40/19 on the current wheels so I can report back on any change to the ride. I’m also slightly concerned but they are closest to the correct rolling radius and I’m looking to go a bit lower in the future.

Hi Rick. I think I've had most variations over the past few years running a 4motion T6 (must run same size front and rear)
275-40-20 looked massive and rubbed on inner splash guard 30mm drop.
265-40-20 looked in proportion, no rubbing dropped on coilovers nearly all the way down.
255-35-20 look awesome, no rubbing, good ride on Air.

Remember tyre pressures are key, a good starting point is 36psi

So tyres fitted, initial impressions are much improved responsiveness and handling. Maybe a slightly firmer ride, but hardly noticeable. The benefits far outweigh any negatives.

The big downside, they look too small in the arches and the van seriously needs to be lowered some more..

IMG_6347.jpeg

I’m going to re-fit the 15mm rear spacers to bring the rear wheels flush to the arch to match the front.

Definitely looks better with the spacers fitted but still needs to be about 20mm lower…

IMG_6352.jpeg

Hi again Paul and what a smart looking van!! Those Navis rims look well smart! Let us know how you get on with the ride etc.

Rick.

Hi Rick. I think I've had most variations over the past few years running a 4motion T6 (must run same size front and rear)
275-40-20 looked massive and rubbed on inner splash guard 30mm drop.
265-40-20 looked in proportion, no rubbing dropped on coilovers nearly all the way down.
255-35-20 look awesome, no rubbing, good ride on Air.

Remember tyre pressures are key, a good starting point is 36psi
Fromow, thanks for the input. I think 255 is about right for me but would be concerned the the 35 side wall would not be enough to give decent protection from the pot holes.

Or maybe Im just being a bit over cautious. Nobody wants to spend out quite a few quid on a decent set of alloys to then get them hammered in a pot hole because the tyre wall wasnt quite up to it.

Cheer, Rick.

I'm in the same predicament. Just bought a t6 highline swb. I know it's the 102bhp model but not sure if it's t28/30/32 etc.

I've currently got 18's on with a 30mm drop, looking at 20's to fill the gap but not sure what tyres to get for comfort/stance etc.

The wheels I'm looking at at et45 (supermetal cells 9j from transporter hq)

I'm in the same predicament. Just bought a t6 highline swb. I know it's the 102bhp model but not sure if it's t28/30/32 etc.

I've currently got 18's on with a 30mm drop, looking at 20's to fill the gap but not sure what tyres to get for comfort/stance etc.

The wheels I'm looking at at et45 (supermetal cells 9j from transporter hq)
what 18's do you have fitted?

Back