18” wheels but what size tyres?

VWDAZ71

I’m a recent new member on here and just beginning to learn about T6’s.
I’m thinking of buying the below 18” Ronal R55 wheels as I like the simple 5 spoke design. (8.5 x 18 ET45)
Firstly do you think they would fit me 2022 Caravelle 4M ok ?
I wasn’t sure if they would fit inside in the wheel arch ok?

IMG_0568.png

Also tyre wise I can’t make up my mind whether to go for Michelin CrossClimate 2 tyres in 235/55/18 or 255/45/18 size?

I would appreciate any opinions/advice on the above sizes.

Oh, and will I have any problems with the TPMS system if I change wheels and tyres? My current wheels have black valve stems in them so I assume the system on mine works through the abs system?

Thanks.

Last edited:
As far as I can see those wheels would work fine on your T6 and both tyre sizes you mention are commonly used by forum members, it's just down to personal preference.

I just went with 255/45 for my 18's that gives you 103 load rating and if you look on the driver's door shut label that's the size VW list for their 18's

Reactions: JDC
Thanks all your replies.

I wondered if the ride might be a bit harsh/crashy on 255/45/18 ?
My velle is on 235/55/17 at present which seems ok.
Also maybe slightly better fuel consumption on the 235 than 255 ?

Anyone have any info on my TPMS question?

Last edited:
Thanks all your replies.

I wondered if the ride might be a bit harsh/crashy on 255/45/18 ?
My velle is on 235/55/17 at present which seems ok.
Also maybe slightly better fuel consumption on the 235 than 255 ?

Anyone have any info on my TPMS question?

I'm fairly sure your TPMS system won't be affected by the changes in wheels and tyres, you'll just have to reset it. My TPMS works through the ABS system.

I still can’t decide on tyre sizes, anyone have anything more to say about the choice between 235/55/18 and 255/45/18 tyres?

I still can’t decide on tyre sizes, anyone have anything more to say about the choice between 235/55/18 and 255/45/18 tyres?
I suppose only people that have tried both can make a real comparison, possibly a small number of forum members.
Simply looking at the maths, 235/55 has about 7mm larger sidewall, which gives a little more cushioning.
I've got 235/55/18 and am very happy with them, I know many people are happy with 255/45/18.

I did the switch from 255/45/18 to 235/55/18 recently.
Mine had worn out in no time in the centre and wanted some all seasons. 235 are cheaper and in theory as narrower will give better fuel economy, but circumference is greater so can't rely on the readout 100%. Speedo is nearly spot on GPS now.
I went from 44psi in 255 to 40 in 235. ride is marginally better but I'm 70mm down on B14s in a T32 so never going to be great.
What pressures are others running?

I have some 18" 8.5 wheels waiting for tyres. Judging off GPS measured speeds, the 235/55 combo will probably see my speedo read more accurate, so I'm probably going to go for the taller, thinner tyre.

Only concern is 235 being too narrow for 8.5 wheels, but I guess that's a non-issue based on these posts above.

235 looks ok to me in racerke600’s pictures in this post:

Last edited:
FWIW this is the sticker VW put on the door pillar of my T5.1 (t28 highline)…IMG_1303.jpeg
I keep coming back to it trying to decide what wheels to go for when my tyres need replacing. I want comfort above all else (and my 215/65 16 don’t give me that) and I keep reading posts on this forum and others that lower PSI means better ride. With that in mind I’m really tempted to change my 16” VW alloys for a wider 16” with the 235 wide 104 load rated tyres as this has low pressure and a decent load rating.
However you can see for 18’s (on my van at least) 255/45 on 8j rims would be VWs choice and these are the next lowest pressure on the chart so, based on the feedback/comments of many, would be more comfortable.
If so had 18’s I’d go 255 over 235. Sod the cost, decent tyres stop way shorter than cheap tyres and that may save you thousands!

Last edited:
I’m recently ordered this set up for my Caravelle. Hopefully they will be ready for collection from Rimstyle soon:

IMG_0625.png

Back