Wild camping - A little thought piece.

You mean you can't just pitch up where you like, chuck rubbish everywhere, crap wherever you like and tip transit loads of conifer cuttings on other people's land, move a couple of miles (leaving your empty gas bottles and tons of other rubbish behind) then repeat, claiming to anybody that objects that you're being persecuted?

You mean you can't just pitch up where you like, chuck rubbish everywhere, crap wherever you like and tip transit loads of conifer cuttings on other people's land, move a couple of miles (leaving your empty gas bottles and tons of other rubbish behind) then repeat, claiming to anybody that objects that you're being persecuted?
Exactly....by the way.... a bit off topic with what we usually do... but we're offering a deal on tarmac at the moment. if anyone needs their van tarmacking let me know.

As someone who lives in the Highlands of Scotland, I can identify with the Knuckle dragging element of society that decides to leave their safe European homes and think its acceptable to trash the someone else's property.
This element is the minority thankfully, the vast majority of mobile campers do respect the countryside.
I have met and still regard the many folks from across the UK as friends. And I'm sure this will always be the case.
The sooner the Mediterranean Holiday resorts open up again for the ehh, erm, them... The sooner the better!
As a side note to your original Wild Camping post. What we have up here is the envy of the World, in regards to the right to roam Law.
It is all about being responsible in your actions.

Great article, thank you! Unfortunately so much of it is true

I’ve travelled around Europe in my van and the only country that encourages non campsite van use is France with it’s comprehensive Aires network.
Spanish and Portuguese aires are sparce but better than nothing like we have in the UK.

@mommabear ..... NO where did you see her Damn i missed it ............ and her, with her natural wavy hair, nose ring floaty sarong/hippy skirt and the little green vest top and the hand made shoulder bag that just park up near the beach and spend the day lying around reading books and looking like they grew out of the dunes and live on fruit ...lol was a good read thx ........

@mommabear ..... NO where did you see her Damn i missed it ............ and her, with her natural wavy hair, nose ring floaty sarong/hippy skirt and the little green vest top and the hand made shoulder bag that just park up near the beach and spend the day lying around reading books and looking like they grew out of the dunes and live on fruit ...lol was a good read thx ........
But you can picture the exact couple can't you....:think smile bounce:

Shitty behaviour comes from a minority of people from all 'groups' unfortunately. There have always been knobs disturbing others on campsites and the increase in people wanting to get into the countryside after lock down highlighted this. They are just taking behaviour that has been accepted in towns and cities, into the countryside. Why are we not bothered about them behaving like this elsewhere - Benidorm for example? Creating 'them and us' divisions will just make it worse - look at political changes here and the US over the last few years. The answer is to be inclusive and educate, not form a wagon circle and blame others. Just my tuppence worth.
Quality!...

There are a lot of knobs around at the moment who think they can walk where they like too.... Don't be one of those knobs please....stick to the designated public footpaths!
Unless it's Open Access land (or most of Scotland). There's a lot to be said for exercising a right to roam wherever possible, in a responsible way of course.

Firstly @mommabear thanks for the post. That is a great article including the description of the idiots who spoil it for everyone: "mouth breathing dip sh*ts who would usually be in Benidorm up to their eyeballs in slappers and Carling with their love handles hanging over their pool shorts" Quality that

As another member living in Highland Scotland can I set straight some common misconceptions and wording. There is no such thing as "right to roam" in Scotland. There is "right of access" enshrined in the 2003 Land Reform (Scotland) Act. This is a right of responsible non-motorised access (my underlining emphasis). The right of access only applies if used responsibily, the definition of responsibility being set out in the Scottish Outdoor Access code. The key headline here is that Scotland is no different to England on camping in your van overnight, which may be a surprise to a lot of people

Having said all that, there is a pretty relaxed attitude to responsible vehicle campers providing they are parked somewhere remote, only stay for one night, and leave no trace

Shitty behaviour comes from a minority of people from all 'groups' unfortunately. There have always been knobs disturbing others on campsites and the increase in people wanting to get into the countryside after lock down highlighted this. They are just taking behaviour that has been accepted in towns and cities, into the countryside. Why are we not bothered about them behaving like this elsewhere - Benidorm for example? Creating 'them and us' divisions will just make it worse - look at political changes here and the US over the last few years. The answer is to be inclusive and educate, not form a wagon circle and blame others. Just my tuppence worth.

Unless it's Open Access land (or most of Scotland). There's a lot to be said for exercising a right to roam wherever possible, in a responsible way of course.
Ahhh mate, humblest respect, and than you for speaking your mind on this by the way, id rather provoke healthy debate than start wars.
I wasn't trying to be divisional.... just taking the piss a little. Little bit of satire. But there is an 'us and them' thing going on unfortunately, us, who respect nature and abide by the unwritten bylaws of the camping world, and them, see below pictures. But I stand by what I (and many others) witnessed during that first lockdown easing was nothing short of f***ing despicable. And it all links back to the new breed and the undereducated I'm afraid - can't go abroad now with Brexit confusing everyone and covid - so everyone now wants to buy a camper / tent/ crate of beer and really don't understand what camping is - I went to a beautiful site in Hereford I've been escaping to for about 30 years - absolutely overrun by the Jezza crowd..., and lets say it as it is.... disposable barbecues thrown into streams and hedges, burned grass, beer cans, even a dirty nappy left on the grass when they got evicted.
Myself and about 8 other camper owners spent sunday 8am till about 3pm helping the owner, who was in floods of tears, clean up the site.

Look at these images from the "covid campers" - And I fully stand behind our Scottish friends, who's borders were turned into what I can only describe as a landfill site, buy a load of mouth breathing degenerates.

Loch lomand
scotlandcamping0807-0.jpg
_113965116_campers.jpg
Loch-Morlich-e1606068201486.jpg

These are people who haven't got a clue and no respect for the natural world - and this is why, THANK GOD wild camping, or rather trespassing, is illegal and long may it continue.

Picture the couple!!! That's who is in my head every time I sit outside my van, until I remember I am the wrong side of 50 with grey hair no longer blonde....:p:D
Comes to us all my friend...... id like to think at least wisdom is a trade off for my 20s.....but I dont think it is, think im just more tired. My daughter asked me what it was like turning 40... I said, well, its a bit like being 20, except I cant turn my head all the way to the left anymore..
\

Back