Wild camping - A little thought piece.

These concrete barriers are becoming very popular in the farming community around my way:

1617123315049.png

These have significantly reduced the incidents of hare coursers driving on fields, and fly tippers, please note I'm not putting wild campers in the same group as I'm sure most do it properly, sadly the others spoil it for everybody.
If wild camping becomes an issue for farmers, they'll find a lawful way to stop it.

These concrete barriers are becoming very popular in the farming community around my way:

View attachment 110558

These have significantly reduced the incidents of hare coursers driving on fields, and fly tippers, please note I'm not putting wild campers in the same group as I'm sure most do it properly, sadly the others spoil it for everybody.
If wild camping becomes an issue for farmers, they'll find a lawful way to stop it.
Not much hope for an underslung heater there, is there!

Is it a reasonable guess that these are blasfurgin teenagers though of the same variety that leave piles of discarded "Whippy" gas bottles and MaccyD bags in sports field car parks here in Mordor?

Hi Dudes

A little amusing nugget on wild camping following a confusing chat with a man in a petrol station, that might shine a little light on the truth around going natural.

mommabearsadventure.co.uk/blog/wild-camping-and-off-grid-the-reality-check

Excellent thread. Read it all and can relate to all of it. Very thought provoking in every way. I'm constantly appalled by the amount of litter / food thrown from moving vehicles - particularly the stereotypical brown bag mob.

I was in Brittany a couple of years ago, no litter on the roadsides at all, absolutely nothing. Compared with Devon and Cornwall which is just the opposite side of the channel where the highways maintenance teams strim the plastic into tiny fragments instead of picking it up:eek:

Great read. But surely if you're in a van (converted or otherwise) it isn't wild camping it's parking....... And that's is definately what you tell the fuzz if they ask, if you are parked and resting in a suitable place (not causing an obstruction to the highway) it's no different to parking up in a truck and having a rest?

Wild camping involves a tent, map and getting out into the wild.

After driving a long distance ..I’d much prefer to know I've got a guaranteed space and not have to drive down a country lane looking for a space ( leave the lane for lovers ) Truck stops make great over night parking if needed... Enjoy camping and the great outdoors :)

Great read. But surely if you're in a van (converted or otherwise) it isn't wild camping it's parking....... And that's is definately what you tell the fuzz if they ask, if you are parked and resting in a suitable place (not causing an obstruction to the highway) it's no different to parking up in a truck and having a rest?

Wild camping involves a tent, map and getting out into the wild.
True - I think were mainly talking about the nobbers who drive over wildlife and green spaces - dont think id want to take my family for a week in a lay-by though.

I've just come across a new website for authorised wild camping - somewhere remote, no facilities and without other vans, but with permission. It's called "Wild With Consent". Just look on their web site , check the availability of your desired location, make a booking and pay up, park for the night.

And the catch - there are three prices for a night - £25, £50 and £100 :eek:

I smelt a proverbial rat when initially reading about it. "The scheme was launched ... after traveling around Scotland in their campervan, taking advantage of the right to roam to stay". But 'right to roam' doesn't include parking campervans for the night!

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
I've just come across a new website for authorised wild camping - somewhere remote, no facilities and without other vans, but with permission. It's called "Wild With Consent". Just look on their web site , check the availability of your desired location, make a booking and pay up, park for the night.

And the catch - there are three prices for a night - £25, £50 and £100 :eek:

I smelt a proverbial rat when initially reading about it. "The scheme was launched ... after traveling around Scotland in their campervan, taking advantage of the right to roam to stay". But 'right to roam' doesn't include parking campervans for the night!
Scotland councils have recently been informed to relax licensing requirements and policing of off site vans as far as I’m aware.

Scotland councils have recently been informed to relax licensing requirements and policing of off site vans as far as I’m aware.

That’s interesting, where did you see/hear it, got a link?

That’s interesting, where did you see/hear it, got a link?
I’ve had a hunt online but can’t find the article I was reading earlier.
I found this though; Stay the Night
My partner has just been to Shetland, there are EHU’s set up in car parks that appear free to use. Seems like a drive to increase tourism.

I’ve had a hunt online but can’t find the article I was reading earlier.
I found this though; Stay the Night
My partner has just been to Shetland, there are EHU’s set up in car parks that appear free to use. Seems like a drive to increase tourism.

That’s awesome. I’ve been to Orkney loads of times, but maybe this is the year for Shetland…

That’s awesome. I’ve been to Orkney loads of times, but maybe this is the year for Shetland…

To add to this, according to the link below they actively encourage wild camping. I was wondering where to head to to escape the covid-crowds this summer - sounds like an absolute winner....

Back