Oil Use. What's 'normal'?

Cuiken

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a 67 plate 204ps T6 with ~60k on the clock. I've had it a couple of years and noticed early on that it uses a bit of oil. I've not kept tab of top ups but I'd say I'm probably adding half a litre every 4000 miles or so. Just happened to flag a low oil warning this weekend which suggests it may have started using a bit more than it used to.

No other symptoms. Van runs well.

Does this seem particularly out of the ordinary?

is the 204 a Bi-TDI? If so, there’s a few topics on oil usage..

For comparison, my 140PS (single turbo) doesn’t use a drop between changes.

These may help:

Interesting (and scary) reading. Thanks (sort of :oops:).

In summary, it does seem that there may be some merit in an EGR delete and ECU update? If indeed that horse hasn't already bolted.

I may see what I can find out locally.

Ta.

I just added 500ml to mine after 6500 miles. That doesn't feel excessive, neither does your slightly higher usage.

These engines do have a documented oil consumption issue, but people suffering that tell of litres of oil consumed in one or two thousand miles.

Mine was using a litre on about 1000 miles for a while then it got worse, and then the small turbo went.

Since having the new turbos fitted and dpf cleaned I think the oil consumption has improved but I've not done enough miles yet to see how much it uses now. If I'm lucky the oil consumption was caused by the small turbo going, if I'm unlucky the turbo went cos of the amount of regenning happening to clear the burnt oil from the DPF.

I just added 500ml to mine after 6500 miles. That doesn't feel excessive, neither does your slightly higher usage.

These engines do have a documented oil consumption issue, but people suffering that tell of litres of oil consumed in one or two thousand miles.
...and when I was changing the oil at the weekend, I found that the sump plug was leaking and there was enough oil covering the undertray and chassis members that the half a litre I replaced escaped via the sump plug rather than the exhaust.

Reactions: Bav
Back