Puddle of something… top of gearbox.

Longers

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

Been trying to figure out an issue with the battery not charging but while I was under the bonnet I noticed a large puddle of something on top of the gearbox, in between the splines on the casing.

It looks possibly like diesel, definitely not water and not engine oil either. It does look to be under the fuel filter housing but that looks dry. The cooler lower down looks more ‘wet’.

It might explain why I’ve been getting worse fuel economy recently, only getting around 500 miles to a tank max.

I’ll take a look at the fuel filter housing tomorrow, but any other possible issues? Can anyone tell me what the rectangular cooler thing is in the centre of the picture… that appears to be where the leak is coming from… thanks!

IMG_4630.jpeg

gearbox oil cooler. . . you have a DSG box?

example below, not specific . . .

1705078482904.png1705078500788.png1705078572464.png

Last edited:
looks like there are O-rings that may be leaking?

see here a VW 2.0 engine - not a T6 but you get the idea.

about 1m40s

1705078716300.png

1705078864900.png

I had a similar problem, everything was solved by installing additional clamps on the hoses of the DSG heat exchanger.

It might explain why I’ve been getting worse fuel economy recently, only getting around 500 miles to a tank max.
I wouldn't worry about consumption too much, can be normal with the use of winter diesel and cold weather. Combination of both will affect your economy.

Get a sample on your finger and give it a sniff test. You'll soon know if it's diesel

I wouldn't worry about consumption too much, can be normal with the use of winter diesel and cold weather. Combination of both will affect your economy.

Get a sample on your finger and give it a sniff test. You'll soon know if it's diesel

Haha… I wish… can’t smell a thing at the moment with this bug going round!

Yep looks like it’s from there. Could also be from the gearbox filter I guess as that was replaced a couple of months ago.

Thanks all for your help!

No, its just fill till the overflow while following the workshop guidance.

Operating temp gearbox oil and run the DSG routine in vcds etc.

That runs The pumps and valves in sequence to flush and dispel etc.

Yep looks like it’s from there. Could also be from the gearbox filter I guess as that was replaced a couple of months ago.

Thanks all for your help!
My t5.1 dsg filter housing leaked about 3 weeks after me changing the filter. Was a sudden failure but seal looked OK when removed.. Luckily spotted the leak when at home and I kept the old seal so swapped it and topped up. All good for next 40k.

It’s definitely dsg oil. Just been reading about the issues people have had with leaking from a bolt on the dsg. Am wondering if it could be that? It’s not from the filter housing. Took that off earlier and the seal looked fine. So likely it’s from the cooler unless it’s the bolt issue.

Back